Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2013, 5:34 am

I started a new job a month ago and I forget a lot of names.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2013, 4:54 pm

I am really bad at remembering names, but it's embarrassing calling people by the wrong name. I make an effort to try and remember. It helps if I think of their full name first, then use their forename. However sometimes I will forget the names of people I have known a long time which is really awkward, because I know that I know it, but I just can't recall it.

MoonGateClimber
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2013, 8:02 pm

I have a real problem with this. I've mixed peoples faces up and called them random names and if they don't know me well they think I'm trying to be rude or something. So I've learned it's safer to just nod at them or act like I don't see them. Which they probably misinterpret as rudeness anyway. Sometimes you just can't win.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 3:28 am

I don't think the OP is referring to problems remembering names and/or faces. He's referring to how uncomfortable he feels using people's names, so avoids doing it. Sorry, I just thought I'd mention it before this turns into a thread about prosopagnosia or memory.

MoonGateClimber
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2013, 4:48 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I don't think the OP is referring to problems remembering names and/or faces. He's referring to how uncomfortable he feels using people's names, so avoids doing it. Sorry, I just thought I'd mention it before this turns into a thread about prosopagnosia or memory.

Sorry for that. I guess what I meant to say is that I'm uncomfortable calling people by their names because I'm never quite sure if I've gotten it right.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 11:15 pm

I don't have a problem remembering names (but I do have a problem with faces).

Due to hating my name I always had problems introducing myself and react to being called upon. I dreaded giving anyone my name because then they'd start using it, and I honest to god found anything a bully could throw at me less offensive. My original given name is the ugliest ever IMO. But since having my name legally changed, I haven't had that problem.

With the names of others, I do tend to use 'hey' or 'you' more than their name. I use people's names very little wen talking to them. I'm not sure why. It's even more pronounced if I dislike the name, not to mention if it's my original given name, or any nickname of it.
I'd rather under-do it than overdo it though. I know someone who uses people's names in every other sentence she utters. That's really annoying.
If there are only two people present, I do find it a bit superfluous to use their name. After all, who else would you be talking to?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765