Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 2:06 pm

When i first signed on at the job centre nearly 1 year ago i was discriminated against because of my aspergers. A few months ago i got agressive in a meeting directed towards the head person at the job centre because of her ignorance surrounding autism/aspergers.

My parents have warned me a few times "don't get agressive towards them" and "do not get a repuation for being agressive"

How might me having a reputation for being agressive might pose an issue for me at the job centre?

WFurman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2013, 2:42 pm

A reputation for being aggressive at a job centre can pose a problem because how you present yourself can give others a reflection on how others see you, in this case employers. After all, the purpose of a job centre is to assist with you with finding and/or maintaining employment. If you are going to be aggressive towards a job centre, chances are that you are going to be aggressive towards an employer. Furthermore, having an aggressive reputation can lead to negative, and sometimes destructive, behaviors.

ikeas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2013, 2:18 am

You'll get a reputation as a difficult person and they'll make things difficult for you in retaliation.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2013, 5:57 pm

Put in a formal complaint about their discrimination/ignorance (by registered post), if their reply is not acceptable raise it further.

Take an audio recording of all meetings with them (phone or in person) to aid your case if necessary.

Quote:
You'll get a reputation as a difficult person and they'll make things difficult for you in retaliation.

I was in the "fortunate" position that I can make it difficult for them without financial consequences (income from lodgers reduced my benefit to a very low amount).