would you want your asperger's to be cured??

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

If asperger's was curable, would you want the cure?
yes 22%  22%  [ 19 ]
no 78%  78%  [ 67 ]
Total votes : 86

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 1:47 pm

I prefer death over a AS cure.

Then i would be degenerate street-trash,like all teenage NT males.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 11:15 pm

logitechdog wrote:
How about changing them into us?

If we did that, what would be left to make us unique?

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm

Honestly, I'm very happy with my life as it is now, and I wouldn't want that to change. I'm proud of my creativity and intelligence--to strip that away would be to strip away my character.

AssBurgerWithCheese
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 2:56 am

Not so much as a "cure", but the ability to turn it on and off whenever I want. Being able to think my way out of situations, recall information on obscure topics, having an extreme and diverse knowledge base, and creativity work great, but come at the expense at other things.

My problem is that I inadvertently make people laugh and I'm not even trying to be funny. A friend and I went on vacation in Peurto Vallarta last spring and I scraped my elbow, so I put one of those second-skin type bandages on (as to minimize scarring). A girl I met (who also comes from the Vancouver, BC area) asks me if I'm trying to quit smoking, at which point I explain what the purpose is (prevents build-up of scabbing, which actually impedes cell division, causing the wound to take longer to heal). She bursts out laughing and tells me that I'm the funniest guy ever.

Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for. If I could turn it off whenever I wanted, then I would easily avoid situations like that. But otherwise? I like being smarter than average, but on a social level, it doesn't really count for much. In the real world, intelligence is highly, highly overrated.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:23 am

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
If they just came out with a cure for aspergers, would you want to be cured or not??

Having AS is definitely an intrinsic part of who I am, but I won't deny it causes me a lot of grief and sadness. If I could have it cured without losing who I am, sure, why not. I don't think anyone here could deny life would be easier with a neurological disorder to deal with 24/7.

trent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2007, 11:03 am

i absolutely want a cure for it!

babaji
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 11:13 am

i would never want to be cured of my aspieism, its what makes me who i am, it defines me.

i think i will be a braindead vegetable if they tried to cure me.

I thought what i'd do was, i'd would pretend i was one of those deaf-mutes