Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

autisticyoungadult
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2013, 6:37 pm

If any of you can tell I've been on this forum less frequently than my daily activity during the weekend of Easter. I feel my lack of intelligence and discovering that my lack of interest in most of the discussions on this forum have left me to absence this forum for a while now and here are some of my reasoning.

The topics formed on here are narrow biased in favor for a spies, which isn't too surprising considering that what the majority of the forum posters have as their diagnose. The thing that gets me nervous in these discussion is that my interest in autism tends to steam from my low functioning self curious if the population of those with similar degree of low functioning autism are chatting on this forum. I address this problem back during the Christmas of 2012, asking to forum members why is there a lack of non-verbal/intellectual challenged autistic forum members on this site. Plus, my depression really got to me knowing that I would leave all the drama that been going in my life off the forum, which would've been difficult for me to done as too much frustration would interfer with the socializing here.

Can anyone give some advice on what I could chat to forum users in order to not be ridicule by the majority of you guys?

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:43 pm

i am verbally/intellectually challenged. i dont post much for pretty much the same reason: "everybody" is too smart for me.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:48 pm

There are a couple of threads you might be interested in.

Those who are not "mild" by any means

Verbal Communications Differences and Difficulties Sticky

and then this one in the Parents forum might have some interesting posts

RE: Kids w/Classic Autism, PDD-NOS and Speech Delays

Hope this helps!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:54 pm

Also, you're supposed to be safe in these forums and no one is supposed to ridicule anyone. If they do, complain to the moderators. I always complain to hyperlexian and she responds.

<--- Hyperlexian for President!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 7:14 pm

Also, not everyone is high functioning. There are people on here at all sorts of levels of ASD/AS. Some post fairly often and some rarely post. Maybe make a thread that would get the attention of anyone who has more symptoms or an interest in it. I'll even make one now so people can chime in on it about their functioning level. I'm going to call it "What's your functioning level?" There may have been one like it in the past or even recently but I didn't see it if there was. So, chime on in on that one and read and see who all is where and strike up a conversation maybe.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 8:14 pm

autisticyoungadult wrote:
If any of you can tell I've been on this forum less frequently than my daily activity during the weekend of Easter. I feel my lack of intelligence and discovering that my lack of interest in most of the discussions on this forum have left me to absence this forum for a while now and here are some of my reasoning.

The topics formed on here are narrow biased in favor for a spies, which isn't too surprising considering that what the majority of the forum posters have as their diagnose. The thing that gets me nervous in these discussion is that my interest in autism tends to steam from my low functioning self curious if the population of those with similar degree of low functioning autism are chatting on this forum. I address this problem back during the Christmas of 2012, asking to forum members why is there a lack of non-verbal/intellectual challenged autistic forum members on this site. Plus, my depression really got to me knowing that I would leave all the drama that been going in my life off the forum, which would've been difficult for me to done as too much frustration would interfer with the socializing here.

Can anyone give some advice on what I could chat to forum users in order to not be ridicule by the majority of you guys?

I would not ridicule you. Anyway, ridiculing members is against site rules.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 9:29 pm

I used to feel like most everyone was smarter than me here; all brainiacs. But I've come to realize as I've engaged more, that's not necessarily the case. There's several people here who have learning impairments etc. I don't feel threatened by the regulars here. I think if anyone ridiculed you here many, including me, would reprimand that person. Our hearts should be going out to those who have greater struggles and I feel that to be the case in the majority of regulars here. I feel this is a safe place to be. I've been able to tell stuff about myself and get support, that would receive reticule in an NT discussion group. I've learned and grown here by sticking it out. You're amongst friends here for the most part.
Best to you.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2013, 10:06 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i am verbally/intellectually challenged. i dont post much for pretty much the same reason: "everybody" is too smart for me.

I don't think anybody is really "too smart" for anyone. The forum is for all people who fit the description "The online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's."

The hype over intelligence and IQ is ironically one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life, with people being ashamed to have a normal IQ and people with low-functioning Autism feeling like they don't belong in a community for Autism. Don't buy into it.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2013, 11:18 pm

Everybody here faces a challenge of some sort or else we wouldn't be on here posting messages after messages so don't feel alone.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2013, 10:35 am

Autisticyoungadult, your posts are intelligent. I actually don’t see any difference in comparison to those in here who claim they have a genius level IQ. So hang on there.

I also had a bit of an identity crisis when I found this forum. I perceive myself as very high functioning (and I am), but when I came here my image was shattered. Not because I would be intimidated by “intelligence”, but because of other things that made me feel like my autism is of a different sort.

Write about your autism, how you feel and perceive things, for there really are many “autisms”. There is an AS domination in here, to the point that in here typical AS experience seems to define what other autisms can be - even as an individual experience to the person. But remember that there will always be someone (whether they have your type autism, problems and feelings or not), who thinks that your posts are important or perhaps the only thing they can identify here with. So keep them coming! :)

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2013, 11:09 am

This forum is supposed to be for everybody on the spectrum who is able to use it. As much as I'd like to be, I am not one of the most intelligent people here, but I contribute where I can and try to make meaningful posts.

No one here should feel under pressure to meet a certain intellectual standard, and if any mockery occurs, simply report it to a moderator and it will be dealt with.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:13 am

You're welcome here! It'd be a weaker of a place without you here.

I'm verbal - I spoke "on time" even, but my ASD isn't one that fits in with how a lot of people discuss here either, and I often feel very out of place. I go in and out, posting a lot, and then not posting a lot. If I feel really out of place I'll not post at all for a while. But I'll come back always, because its a good place for some stuff at least.

There there are definitely people here who do have verbal problems, and I really appreciate them being here. I find I learn more from people who are non-verbal or barely verbal than the stereotypical "aspies" on here. I really enjoy all people with autism being involved here.

While there is a dominant sort on here, there's a lot of different sorts on here too. We're stronger for having the different sorts. It's just harder on us different sorts people sometimes. But, at least I think people like you presence makes it a stronger place.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:16 am

People often make me feel I speak in an 'uncool', unsophisticated, 'simple' manner but I think you can only be yourself basically and it's the striving to impress or be like other people that's the mistake.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:17 am

As a teenager, I remember going to Asperger's support groups and feeling like I didn't really fit in with anyone there. Then again, I never really fit in with anyone very well, but surprisingly not them, either.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:24 am

beneficii wrote:
As a teenager, I remember going to Asperger's support groups and feeling like I didn't really fit in with anyone there. Then again, I never really fit in with anyone very well, but surprisingly not them, either.

May I ask why you felt that you did'nt fit in? I've heard simular statements from different perspectives before, and I'm always curious on this issue.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:30 am

nessa238 wrote:
People often make me feel I speak in an 'uncool', unsophisticated, 'simple' manner but I think you can only be yourself basically and it's the striving to impress or be like other people that's the mistake.

Simplicity can be quite elegant. :wink: