Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:15 pm

Increasingly Israel is losing the oxygen of moral backing among intellectual heavyweights. A win for the Palestinians and for the boycott Israel campaign.

The Guardian wrote:
Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

Physicist pulls out of conference hosted by president Shimon Peres in protest at treatment of Palestinians

....his attitude to Israel appears to have hardened. In 2009, Hawking denounced Israel's three-week attack on Gaza, telling Riz Khan on Al-Jazeera that Israel's response to rocket fire from Gaza was "plain out of proportion … The situation is like that of South Africa before 1990 and cannot continue."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... ic-boycott

My deviant art profile

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:20 pm

It's nice and all, but I am a little bit suspicious of the "Einstein quotes" syndrome here. Just because you are a very clever mathematical thinker doesn't make you a reliable source on world politics.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 6:46 am

I read a very interesting article that actually analysed the entire effect of the BDS ovement in the States and it came to very little.

As for pacifist Jews and good-hearted Palliea living in peace - look what happenes to Juliano Mer.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 8:11 am

The Guardian were fed a line from a 'pro-Palestinian' group by the name of British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP). In fact, it looks like these people lied to The Guardian about his reasons for pulling out.

The Commentator has written a piece on this story:

Quote:
Prof. Hawking trip NOT cancelled due to Israel boycott
  • Professor Hawking's spokesperson has confirmed that he will not miss the conference in Israel due to a boycott, but rather because of health reasons
New details about the cancellation of Professor Stephen Hawking's trip to Israel have emerged today after numerous news reports claiming that Prof. Hawking had chosen to boycott the State of Israel.

The Guardian, which broke the story late last night, claimed that Hawking was due to boycott Israel after receiving an erroneous statement from the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP), apparently with Hawking's approval.

The statement said that the move was "his independent decision to respect the boycott, based upon his knowledge of Palestine, and on the unanimous advice of his own academic contacts there".

Also, a member of CiF Watch actually e-mailed the university - Cambridge University - in question and asked for a comment and a spokesman for the University said:

Quote:
"Professor Hawking will not be attending the conference in Israel in June for health reasons - the doctors have advised against him flying."

Yet again, the Guardian completely uncritically buys the lies of 'pro-Palestinian' groups without checking out the facts. Anyone would think they had a mindless anti-Israel bias.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 8:55 am

Academics shouldn't be getting involved with politics.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 10:57 am

Tequila wrote:
The Guardian were fed a line from a 'pro-Palestinian' group by the name of British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP). In fact, it looks like these people lied to The Guardian about his reasons for pulling out.

Yet again, the Guardian completely uncritically buys the lies of 'pro-Palestinian' groups without checking out the facts. Anyone would think they had a mindless anti-Israel bias.

Actually, you are bang wrong. The claim that he pulled out purely because of his doctor's advice was a lie circulated by the zionist internet mouthpiece 'The Commentator'.

This was later denied by Hawking's office and that he was indeed withholding primarily because of moral principle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali ... not-health

Even an Israeli newspaper is corroborating that this is because of political reasons-
http://www.timesofisrael.com/hawking-is ... alem-meet/
Times of Israel wrote:
A source involved in the Presidential Conference told The Times of Israel that Hawking’s backing out “has nothing to do with health.” He spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the issue. He said that the President’s Residence would not release the letter from Hawking.

So, unfortunately for the Zionists Professor Hawking is not supporting them.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:11 am

Jono wrote:

Why? Politics affects everyone.

If you spent your life avoiding politics, you wouldn't have much of a pro-active life.

Or, to quote the German Marxist Bertolt Brecht:

"The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn’t hear, doesn’t speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn’t know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The imbecile doesn’t know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies.”

― Bertolt Brecht

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:39 am

thomas81 wrote:
Actually, you are bang wrong. The claim that he pulled out purely because of his doctor's advice was a lie circulated by the zionist internet mouthpiece 'The Commentator'.

You sound like a neo-Nazi or an Arab antisemite when you talk like that. The rhetoric is identical.

There is another update to this story, which makes the whole thing sound even weirder.

Raheem Kassam - such a Jewish name! - says he rang up all the telephone numbers at BRICUP but couldn't get an answer to any of them. One of their bodies then came up later and denied all this.

Then we get this update that confirms that Hawking is indeed boycotting Israel from CiF Watch.

It's such a bizarre story and a weird way of actually announcing a boycott, I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I can't say I've ever heard of BRICUP, for instance. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere on any website I've been on.

It seems (though I await final confirmation) that I was wrong on this issue - I hold my hands up here.

Stuff like this does not help to build peace between Israelis and Palestinians, because it takes it as an article of faith that Israel is a demonic-like and uniquely evil entity and the Palestinians have never done anything wrong.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:41 am

I hope that Hawking will be rejecting the Israeli custom-built computer and technology that is helping to keep him alive and, if not well, in the best condition that can be expected.

Is he going to boycott that?

Nah - he's a coward. Fundamentally, all Israeli BDSers are cowards.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 May 2013, 11:51 am

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

You sound like a neo-Nazi or an Arab antisemite when you talk like that. The rhetoric is identical.

And you sound like an Islamophobe when you talk like that, or try to claim the Guardian has an anti-Israel bias...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Typical of the cowardly tactics of the pro-Israel lobby.

When intellectual discourse fails, throw enough slander and hope it sticks.

Tequila wrote:
Raheem Kassam - such a Jewish name!

Why does it matter? Whatever the religious groups of the parties concerned, does not alter the fact that Hawking is erring morally towards the Palestinians.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:22 pm

Tequila wrote:
I hope that Hawking will be rejecting the Israeli custom-built computer and technology that is helping to keep him alive and, if not well, in the best condition that can be expected.

Is he going to boycott that?

Nah - he's a coward. Fundamentally, all Israeli BDSers are cowards.

Logical fallacy. Those technologies were from individuals, not nations so would eventually have emerged, irrespective of whether or not Israel came into existance.

It is a foolish basis for justifying any country, especially Israel. Please stop using it.

The sex doll, methadone, the assault rifle and ballistic missiles were invented in Nazi Germany. Should we stop using these as well for the same reason?

EDIT:

Actually, after closer research the first programmable electronic computers were also invented by the nazis, not by Israel.

click here

Does this justify the Third Reich?

My deviant art profile

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:38 pm

Jono wrote:

Everybody should be getting involved in politics.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:42 pm

Do you like Fanta, Tequila?

Hint: It wasn't invented by the Americans.

My deviant art profile

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:45 pm

If you read the Guardian, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Haaretz, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Sunday Times, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Washington Post, you know that you'll get a viewpoint from whoever gave the information for the story.

If you read the Washington Times, you know viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Arutz Sheva, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:47 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
If you read the Guardian, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Haaretz, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Sunday Times, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Washington Post, you know that you'll get a viewpoint from whoever gave the information for the story.

If you read the Washington Times, you know viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Arutz Sheva, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

that sort of logic nullifies any source, so we may as well delete the PPR forum and call it a day.

My deviant art profile