Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:02 pm

With this toy (the big one in the middle) I was still occupied as teenager:
I was fascinated by the turning objects, the reptitive actions to do with it, the simple sounds coming from the certain objects.
I did not own it anymore, but there were little children in my family and I was more occupied with it than they were.
This one I was fascinated by as well:
If I would own it back I would still enjoy it for the repetitive actions one can perform and I love watching spinning objects.
Were your toys age-appropriate?

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:24 pm

Some of them were and some of them weren't...I kept some of my baby toys for years and years because I enjoyed them for years and years (there's 3 of them I can think of now that I would still enjoy if I had them....they all spin). But I got some age-appropriate stuff as I got older, too.

When I was a kid, all that ever mattered to me was that my toys were me-appropriate.

Love transcends all.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:39 pm

I didn't really have toys because we were perpetually poor. One time, though, I did receive a toy car from the fire department. I didn't play with it so much I take it apart. I really wanted to see what made it work.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 6:01 pm

Some were and some weren't but for a while when I was in middle school (12 or 13 years old) I was obsessed with baby Minnie (Minnie Mouse) and wanted tons of Minnie Mouse toys and had a Baby Minnie stuffed toy that I took with me everywhere I went.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 6:11 pm

Yes because my mom wouldn't let me get anything immature. I played with my own toys and my brothers and I remember playing with young toys in the waiting room. Because my mom would always read the age group on the box and then as me how old I am and make me put it back on the shelf, I learned age groups mattered and I can longer play with something when I get too old for it. Then that is where the contradiction would come in, my parents would tell me just because a game says ages 6-10 or 5-9 does not mean I can play it, if I enjoy it, play it and it's just a guide line thinking what ages will enjoy it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 6:39 pm

I played with my tonka trucks till I was 15

I did a lot with them like I had dammed a small creek and used old pipes and a trench to bring water over to a deppression to make a small pond. I also made roads and stuff like that

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2013, 6:42 pm

When I was very young (infant or toddler) my toys were usually age appropriate. As I got older, I tended to get more toys that were intended for children older than I was. I also continued to use the old toys long past the age they were intended for, but in strange ways (making things out of them, or parts of them). By the end of elementary school most of the things I played with weren't intended for kids at all... but then I didn't play the same way other kids did either (not a lot of 6th graders completely disassemble mechanical typewriters, or buy soldering irons and electronic parts with their allowance it seems).

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 10:07 pm

No mine wern't as I played with every age group's toys at the same time, I was into most of the hobbies, I had RC cars, train sets etc. stuff that was far behond my age by as much is times 2. I also held on to and played with my younger person toys well past the age I was suppost to quit playing with them. Even today I'm known to buy old toys from my past and stockpile parts to fix my old RC cars. I love the Fisher Price actitivty centre, I had the hickory Dickory Dock Clock that I just loved so much that I got another one on ebay since mine was given away without permission.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwb2RyBG1fE[/youtube]

starship
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2013, 10:57 pm

I've always been more "immature" than my peers. When all the other girls were doing more mature social things like dating and partying--wanting to grow up quickly--I was playing with ponies and lego in junior high, playing make-believe in high school, and I still only want to play video games now that I'm in my 30s.... and I still sleep with stuffed animals.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 11:12 pm

I think so. A lot of the things I was interested in don't really have specific age ranges associated. I liked bicycles and lego and articulating cartoon character dolls (Ninja Turles and so forth). Interest in the dolls waned as video games became available in my household.

The only interest I had as a child that fell outside typical age appropriate was my choice of reading material. I love books. Have always loved books. I do remember being told that it was uncommon for a person my age to be reading such long and complex ones. I didn't understand why they said that. Length does not make a book more challenging to read, it just takes longer to finish. Looking back on it now, I suppose it would strike me as odd to see a ten year old reading something like Tad Williams fantasies (Williams was my favorite author when I was 10). From adult perspective now, I guess I do understand that such a thing is not common.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 12:42 am

That spinning top toy looks like fun. I would play with that now. I also like yoyos and kaleidoscopes. I never outgrew toys. I love toys. I don't believe in age-appropriateness for toys.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:30 am

Whatever my parents gave me, I would line it up, categorise it, group it.. yeah. I have no idea why I even found that so fun. I also liked spinning things, and could stare at them for hours :D

Kafke
Raven
Raven

10 May 2013, 3:22 am

Growing up I mostly had figures and video games. So whatever "age" that's supposed to be. Though, I did (and still do) like those tables with moving pieces on rails that a lot of waiting rooms have. Those and spinning tops are fun to play with.

You are very likely an Aspie

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:43 am

There were issues about my taking everything apart. I did have dolls, but I didn´t play much with them. I mostly dressed them, gave them a hairdo (cut their hair) and lined them up. My mother sometimes gave me toy cars to avoid girl-stereotyping. They were ok. From 4 to 12 my best "toys", apart from the piano, were worms, snails, frogs, butterflies, plants, and soil.
(When mad at my mother, I used to pollinate her black tulips with white ones :oops: (Ok. I was 6, - but still...))
Yes, I think, my toys and my plays were more or less age-typical.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2013, 4:05 am

I don´t believe there is such thing as "age-inapropriate" toys.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2013, 4:13 am

League_Girl wrote:
Yes because my mom wouldn't let me get anything immature.

I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be offensive, but this is what I HATE parents doing. I will never have kids, but if I hapothetically ever had, I certainly would allow them to play with anything they wanted to and as long as they wanted to. The last thing I would want to do to my kids is to force them behave "age-appropriately" (except when it comes to toilet training).