Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:57 am

I started another thread today about a specific situation. Now I'd like to address the situation in general....Does Behavior Modification work with an Aspie? What about an adult Aspie?

I personally DON'T see that it could ever work for me....because I don't "get it" until many weeks later (what was so-&-so trying to DO there?) Perhaps it didn't work because it was an amature & not a therapist? Maybe it would work in a roll-playing scenario (in a safe place) rather then out in the world?

What do y'all think? Do any of y'all use Behavior Modification? How's it working for ya'?

edited to add: Would anyone NOT doing it now ever consider it?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:05 am

Pure behavior modification? It would be more harm than good for me.

Cognitive Behavior works much, much better for me, and I have benefited from it for 20 years.

But at the end of the day, I have to remember that, for me, I can only change up to the point that my brain allows. If I try to push myself beyond that point in an attempt to be completely "normal", the result is simply depression and/or anxiety. In such cases, practicing self-acceptance works well for me.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 May 2013, 11:07 am

It does work. I did CBT on myself, (mind out of the gutter) :wink:
Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way to change my behavior. but now that it is over life is so much better. I still have many things to work on but the biggest bully on the block in my life was delt a fatal blow. So now its all about living like mark twain, :jester:

Last edited by richardbenson on 10 May 2013, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:08 am

MsMarginalized wrote:
What do y'all think? Do any of y'all use Behavior Modification? How's it working for ya'?

edited to add: Would anyone NOT doing it now ever consider it?

Could you please eleborate on what you mean by "Behavior Modification", the term means many different things to different people, and I don't feel I can write a good response if I don't ask to make sure.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:15 am

Yeah probably good to differentiate purely Skinner-type behavior mod from Cognitive Behavior Therapy, or CBT.

CBT is what worked and still works well for me.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:20 am

Guess I forgot that there were different kinds! :oops:

So, how does the CBT work for ya?

If I'm not being too nosey here, would you mind sharing any one particular behavior that you successfully modified & how ya' did it (& if it is too nosey, then just ignore that question). If you did, was it with the help of a therapist, loved one, friend or by yourself?

Thanks for indulging me!