Any advice on how not to be duped all the time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2013, 11:39 pm

Ok so here is the situation,

As some of you may already know I have joined a University backpacking club. My goal is to become a very proficient outdoorsman so I can get closer to the people. Now as I have gotten closer I have learned that within NT's they love to test people with humor. When it comes to humor; i.e. if someone cracks a joke at me I usually go with it and ramp it up. Like I was explaining to a group of people in the car that even thoughI am a fan of guns I don't own one because the environment that I live in does not require it. It would be like plumber going out and spending money on tools that are necessary for a car mechanic. I went on to say that if I bought one it would just sit under my bed and collect dust. One guy driving said but what about the zombie apocalypse? I said you do have a good point I would need guns for that.

Anyway somebody politely mentioned to me one time that I am too easy to fool. I know that a common problem with Aspergers is that we do not see the joke coming. So here is my question. What would be some common ways that the NT would try to pull a trick on me and how do I get around being duped all the time? If anybody knows anything I'm all eyes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 11:47 pm

Trust no one until valid material evidence is provided.

Even then, remain skeptical.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2013, 2:08 am

That's hard to say. We're easily fooled cause of our lower than normal social smarts.

I'd say have a few honest close friends and family and trust the first thoughts that
come to your mind, rather than what someone else is telling you

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 2:33 am

I think that we say things like we see it and communicate because we want to transfer facts. I think that being aware that is not the way other people communicate is important. Don't expect people to be factual when they talk to you.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:41 am

If you are asked to go snipe hunting, don't fall for it.

Also, guns won't work for the zombie apocalypse. Zombies are already dead. Just wait till summer and they will fall apart in the heat.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com