Hey all, I'm Alex, and I think I'm an Aspie.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Alex123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2013, 5:13 pm

Hey all,

I'm Alex, diagnosed with ADHD and Dyspraxia and I self diagnosed myself with OCD. I have no idea if I'm autistic or not and I need help...

I've always been awkward socially, I've always had little friends with the exception of a one or two, however, I have made strong friendships... Which all ended up dissipating because they found me 'annoying' or weird. I make eye contact except on certain occasions when I feel that it's too awkward to do so. I'm very friendly yet I seem to annoy my parents gravely and others around me, sometimes, unwittingly. On top of this, I seem to have a lack of empathy in that for example, when certain bad situations have happened to me and my family, I've been upset by it little, almost as if I can't, even though I'd like to. I also have trouble communicating as I find it very hard to make conversation some times and small talk which has led me to be ostracised by my former best friend recently. I also do tend to develop strong interests like once during my youth, I had an obsession with countries and flags which went on for months. After, I developed interests in foreign languages, foreign cultures, science, and recently psychology. Yet, despite my strong interests which I absorb myself in, I always change interest in the end. In certain social situations, I find it extremely difficult to find the appropriate response, too. For example, when people mess with me, I find it difficult to come up with a response or when people tell me something, I find it difficult to talk further about it.

With regards to routines, well, I have little care for routines and I don't mind change, I almost lack these behaviours entirely. I also lack a sense of humour but do laugh at others jokes just tend to be rubbish at telling them.

Lastly, I have this massive tendency to flap my hands when I'm excited and I have a love of thinking and being within my own head. I need to flap to release all this energy as a result of being excited.

What is wrong with me? Does this sound like autism/aspergers? Note: I'm massively insecure and I don't want to discuss my issues with anybody so me going to a doctor is highly unlikely....

Last edited by Alex123 on 12 May 2013, 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 5:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, Alex! :)

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 5:39 pm

Welcome Alex. Discussing this with anonymous people is easier than people you know, but hopefully it will get you more comfortable so you can talk about it with a person you know.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 6:42 pm

try this brief test based on the criteria docs use to diagnose Asperger's.

www.iautistic.com/test_AS.php

welcome to WP.

Alex123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2013, 10:25 am

Right, so I tried that quiz and it seems that I'm likely to be autistic although the questions only seem to partially apply to me and seem to be relatively minor.

From my description of myself above, what would you guys think if you had to speculate?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 10:38 am

nebrets wrote:
Discussing this with anonymous people is easier than people you know...

Agreed

Welcome Alex! It certainly sounds possible from what you've written

Alex123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2013, 6:16 pm

So, anybody got any ideas? :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:36 pm

Sweet welcomes to WPea.