How do you think video games' culture status will evolve?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2013, 10:20 am

I believe that by the time the generation that's very suspicious about this relatively new form of entertainment has passed on, video games will get a lot of recognition in the same way books, movies, music and plays get nowadays.
This is happened before with popular media like rock 'n roll and jazz music. Decades ago it was considered satan's music, now it's held in high regards by may of the older generations, and some members of the younger generations.

No longer 3 game reviews tucked into a column with a few lines each, but full fledged articles with in-dept analysis and developer interviews in popular "upper class" media.

I think we will see a great increase of video game industry analysts and other professions, college/university classes teaching and analyzing video game history outside of game development courses, etc.

What do you think?

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2013, 12:42 pm

I'm curious in particular about how watching games will progress. I played League of Legends for a couple of years and was surprised to find how popular the streams are. I remember a forum topic asking if anyone would watch games at a bar or such, but I don't remember how that thread turned out.

When I was growing up in the 90's there was really no way to do this, but now a glance at a few popular sites says that some of these streams have tens of thousands of viewers.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2013, 5:27 pm

There should be zero doubt in anyone's mind that video gaming is becoming more popular and widely accepted with each passing year, but E-Sports is definitely something that has a lot of interesting potential as video gaming grows and player-bases become more and more interconnected. Unfortunately, that potential for 90% of games is untapped as most multiplayer games will always have a very small portion of it's player-base be "hardcore" enough to pay attention to E-Sports events. MOBAs (aka League of Legends and Dota 2) and Starcraft are an exception to this rule, though, and it's for a fairly obvious reason, too. The learning curve for those games are so incredibly steep (not so much for Starcraft it's just that it's VERY VERY LOOONG) that a much of the active player base is "hardcore" enough to be entirely capable of spectating a pro-level match and understanding it. However, there's kind of an odd thing going on with League of Legends, as it's an incredibly boring game to watch, but such a vast number of people play it that it's an E-Sport to rival Starcraft without really being a proper E-Sports game.