Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 8:33 pm

So, I have a really bad habit when I talk to people on the phone. I interrupt them...a lot. I don't mean to, I'll just think they're done talking and start talking myself, and then we're both talking over each other. Does anyone else do this, or have any good methods or tricks to use to stop doing it, and to tell when it's your turn to talk?

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 9:08 pm

I suck at this (sometimes in general conversation, too.) Wish I had good help...sometimes I've found the best thing to do is make a concerted effort not to talk at all for periods of time.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 9:33 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Does anyone else do this

Yes.

Love transcends all.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 9:37 pm

I do it all the time and I have no idea how to stop myself. It is one of the (many) reasons I really hate talking on the phone.

McCool
Raven
Raven

16 May 2013, 9:50 pm

I do it constantly. Also, if I'm not interrupting, I usually have nothing to say when it is actually my turn to speak. I really hate talking on the phone.

HaySkyNat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Somimes this happens with me but not all the time. I really, really hate talking on the phone.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2013, 10:27 pm

I don't know how anyone can tell the person on the other end of the phone is finished talking. People ought to say "over" when they're through. They could say goodbye rather than "over and out" when they're ready to hang up, because goodbye is pretty final :)

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:28 pm

Pretty much everyone does this on the phone. Without any nonverbal cues, and only a small number of timing cues, this happens constantly.

This is not an "Aspie Thing"!

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:57 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Pretty much everyone does this on the phone. Without any nonverbal cues, and only a small number of timing cues, this happens constantly.

I'd say it happens with Aspies more often than with NTs.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:01 pm

Sethno wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I'd say it happens with Aspies more often than with NTs.

I could'nt say one way or the other. If it is more often with Aspies, it's probably because Aspies often spent less time on phones, so the sense of timing cues is'nt quite the same.

Of course, the odds of getting a study on this issue are slim.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:50 pm

On the phone people usually stop talking for a bit to signal it's your turn, which is easier. I've got much more of a problem with "real life" conversations.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2013, 12:04 am

Happens to me, too. If I'm talking with someone I'm comfortable with, we say "Your turn" when we're done talking and it's time for the other person to talk. If it's someone I'm not comfortable, I tell them I have some issues such as knowing when it's my turn to talk and that I may ask pardon a lot because I have hearing problems (or Sensory processing disorder, I have both) so they're prepared. They seem more understanding then.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 12:17 am

I heard/know that cell phones are worse then land line home phones for this, cell phones have a delay of sorts that gets worse/more irradic depending on reception quaility and makes using them for me almost impossible. Just something to consider.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:17 am

This was one of the major things that indicated AS to me once I started reading up on possible symptoms. I struggle badly with conversations, interrupt people lots, don't know when it is my turn to talk, I also feel like people interrupt me a lot which is frustrating but that is probably because my timing is all out in conversations.

I find it pretty exhausting sometimes to be honest when I am trying to have a lengthy conversation with someone

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:59 am

I guess it's a normal thing?
How is someone supposed not to interrupt on the phone? You can't understand if the other person is going to talk ot not.