Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2013, 11:58 pm

Does anybody ever have times where they literally can't stop talking?

There are times (mostly when I'm tired I think) where every thought I have ends up coming out of my mouth... It's not the same as a lack of a social filter, because in that scenario, I MEAN to say things, and I find out it wasn't socially acceptable after... But sometimes, not very often, I want to just be quiet and sit with my thoughts, but I feel as if I have no control over my mouth and the words coming out of it. It's also not tourette's, and I wonder if it has to do with my adhd or something. I'm just hoping someone here will understand and possibly be able to relate.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:59 am

It's mania. Or hypomania.

EDIT: So I'm going to be a bit more helpful. It's called "pressure of speech". It could be ADHD too, but that it was only sometimes and that it happened when you were tired - and you were tired because you stayed up and didn't sleep, weren't you? - sounds more like (hypo)mania to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_of_speech wrote:
Pressure of speech is a tendency to speak rapidly and frenziedly, as if motivated by an urgency not apparent to the listener. The speech produced, sometimes called pressured speech, is difficult to interrupt and may be too fast or too tangential for the listener to understand; it is an example of cluttered speech. It can be unrelenting, loud and without pauses. (Videbeck 2010) It is a hallmark of mania and is often seen during manic periods in patients with bipolar disorder. The pace of the speech indicates an underlying thought disorder known as “flight of ideas” where the information going through the person’s head is so fast that it is difficult to follow their train of thought.

People with schizophrenia, as well as anyone experiencing extreme anxiety, may also exhibit pressure of speech. Pressure of speech usually refers to the improperly verbalized speech which is a feature of hypomanic and manic illness.[2]

Psychostimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, etc. may cause "pressured speech" in individuals with pre-existing psychopathology and produce hypomanic or manic symptoms in general.

Pressure of speech has commonly been observed in people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Last edited by Anomiel on 17 May 2013, 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:15 am

twich wrote:
Does anybody ever have times where they literally can't stop talking?

Yes. Unless I'm under the effect of my ADHD med.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:00 am

I am myself not like that, but I've had an acquaintance who couldn't stop talking. She would talk non-stop and others have no chance of stopping her without being rude. If there was nothing to say, then she had to come up with lies and rubbish that she could say. I found her very annoying, too, but now I understand the difficulty she was having. All the people around her found her annoying because of that and she was aware of it, and yet she couldn't stop it. And I think that was one reason why she was depressed. I don't know what condition she had.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:06 am

I find I talk too much when I'm anxious, also I don't like being around other people with awkward silence, and since I can't tell the difference between awkward silence and good silence I just keep blabbing.

I try to keep pencil and paper with me in those situations, so I can doodle, or do something else to feel like there is something going.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2013, 7:12 am

Anomiel wrote:

EDIT: So I'm going to be a bit more helpful. It's called "pressure of speech". It could be ADHD too, but that it was only sometimes and that it happened when you were tired - and you were tired because you stayed up and didn't sleep, weren't you? - sounds more like (hypo)mania to me.

Pressure of speech is a tendency to speak rapidly and frenziedly, as if motivated by an urgency not apparent to the listener. The speech produced, sometimes called pressured speech, is difficult to interrupt and may be too fast or too tangential for the listener to understand; it is an example of cluttered speech. It can be unrelenting, loud and without pauses. (Videbeck 2010) It is a hallmark of mania and is often seen during manic periods in patients with bipolar disorder. The pace of the speech indicates an underlying thought disorder known as “flight of ideas” where the information going through the person’s head is so fast that it is difficult to follow their train of thought.

People with schizophrenia, as well as anyone experiencing extreme anxiety, may also exhibit pressure of speech. Pressure of speech usually refers to the improperly verbalized speech which is a feature of hypomanic and manic illness.[2]

Psychostimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, etc. may cause "pressured speech" in individuals with pre-existing psychopathology and produce hypomanic or manic symptoms in general.

Pressure of speech has commonly been observed in people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Ha! So that's what it is! But I'm not sure if it's part of my ADHD, or some undiagnosed cyclothymia or what...

But I'm going to be facetious and claim that it's actually a disorder of the listener - they don't have the processing power to keep up. :wink:

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:57 am

Nikkt wrote:
Ha! So that's what it is! But I'm not sure if it's part of my ADHD, or some undiagnosed cyclothymia or what...

But I'm going to be facetious and claim that it's actually a disorder of the listener - they don't have the processing power to keep up. :wink:

I agree, it is! :lol:

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2013, 3:16 pm

No, it's definitely not like that anomiel.. I don't think it's mania or hypomania, and the being tired is actually usually from a long day where I've had to be more social than normal- I guess it could even be attributed to executive functioning in that manner and the inability to switch the social part off. I can have an actual conversation, I just say everything that pops into my head. You know how on TV the character might say one thing but think more than they actually say for one reason or another? I don't think any of it, I just say it all in these situations- As an example, say someone says the weather is nice today and you think about how sunny it was and so on and say "yes." Instead of thinking it, you'd say, "It was sunny today, the wind wasn't too strong either, yes." Luckily it's fluent. It doesn't annoy or alarm anyone and I don't take drugs either. I guess I have more control than people who are having mania or hypomania episodes, and it just feels like I have no control over it.

Stoek, it could be that, too.. That it's silent and I feel the need to make that go away and it's just on a subconscious level or something.

Chlov, I'm not on medication for my ADHD. I was only diagnosed a few years ago and I had already been able to control it for the most part, but I may look into it one day. I'll be sure to see if it helps this.

Nikkt, I like your thinking!

Thanks for the input so far guys :)

Anomiel wrote:

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:20 pm

twich wrote:
But I'm going to be facetious and claim that it's actually a disorder of the listener - they don't have the processing power to keep up. ;)

Anomiel wrote:
I agree, it is! :lol:

twich wrote:
No, it's definitely not like that anomiel..

Oooooooook.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2013, 7:35 pm

If you look more closely, I didn't write that first sentence you claim I did about it being a disorder of the listener, that was Nikkt. I never even quoted it. I'm not sure why you think I was the one to say it.

Just in case you're not sure which I'm referring to, it was "But I'm going to be facetious and claim that it's actually a disorder of the listener - they don't have the processing power to keep up. ;)" Is something Nikkt said that you agreed with.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:45 pm

twich wrote:
If you look more closely, I didn't write that first sentence you claim I did about it being a disorder of the listener, that was Nikkt. I never even quoted it. I'm not sure why you think I was the one to say it.

Just in case you're not sure which I'm referring to, it was "But I'm going to be facetious and claim that it's actually a disorder of the listener - they don't have the processing power to keep up. ;)" Is something Nikkt said that you agreed with.

Ahhhh! I don't actually look at neither names nor avatars that much, especially if I'm not that invested in a topic or don't know the people involved :P Well then, if it's not pressure of speech (and you don't have to speak fast, you just have the need to keep speaking and speaking and speaking) then it's something else for you :shrug:

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 12:46 am

Buddha wrote:
"Those who speak much are blamed, those who speak little are blamed. In this world there are none who are not blamed. Try not to blame."

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 12:51 am

I noticed that under autistics -especially HFA and AS- that when they started to tell something that they HAVE TO finish. I get this too in certain situations and get mad when someone interrupts me then. :oops:

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2013, 7:45 am

When I'm stressed I do this. It's essentially a stream of thoughts coming out of my mouth which I can't stop. My brain jumps about between topics and links things that I don't normally notice. I start stimming too as I work myself up even more, it's like my mind is one of those circular basins that you can put a penny in - it circles faster and faster until I become incomprehensible.

Sometimes my housemates try and talk to me through it but they end up getting very confused because I switch topics and keep repeating myself. It happened the other night. In the end they just say, "George, the time for talking is over, you have to stop now. Go to bed."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 1:45 pm

I get like thins when I'm with my friends. I'll start talking to them about anything and than I move on to every topic that pops up. There was even one time when one of my friends said that I drove them nuts at an event because I was talking the whole time.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 1:50 pm

Rule of thumb in social interactions:

- Never say something obvious (people won't respect you if you do this)

- Never say what is not necessary

- Make sure you say what actually is necessary (that includes small-talking to avoid awkward silences, what you are doing etc.)

The result is: not talking too much, but not being too quiet either.

This is obviously easier said than done when it doesn't come naturally.