Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Anab
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2013, 12:34 am

Is there anyone with prosopagnosia? When did you find out? How do you manage your life (as being an Aspie it wasn't enough)? Can you recognize cats, dogs or dolls? Please share your experience.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 2:14 am

I seem to have that, or at least I have trouble matching names with faces. it has caused me some major discomfort. I can recognize cats, dogs and dolls alright. just not human faces, all of which tend to blend together in my mind. they say people with this disorder are missing the facial recognition module in their brain, and their general object recognition module must make do as best it can, with often imperfect results.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 2:33 am

I often confuse inanimate objects with living beings outside. I don't that's the disorder though.

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2013, 3:38 am

When I left my Asperger's assessment, I asked the psychologist how to get out of the building. I then walked round the corner (circular corridor) and asked her again as I didn't realise she was the same person. I thought she was a stranger. :lol:

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 6:59 am

I have a mild case.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 11:46 am

I'm mild but I have trouble recognizing faces. I don't even recognize my friends if I see them in a different place than I'm used to. I also can't identify people in photos. Not even myself at times! I did this test in my neuro-psychological exam about recognizing people and I got in the less than 1% percentile. I guess that test is testing for prosopagnosia. The only people I can 100% identify are my parents. Shocking right? Sometimes even if I just met someone if I see them a few seconds later, then I don't know who they are.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2013, 5:07 pm

I have the symptoms but I'm not sure I have the disorder. I have a rare low vision disorder along with dyslexia so I'm not good at recognizing fine details at distances & I get them confused. I also don't look at people directly; I look down a lot & I think I avoid looking at faces due to being afraid of making eye contact with is common with Aspies & I don't want someone to suddenly talk to me because they see me looking up at them. Also as a kid I was afraid of getting bullied or teacher telling me something when someone sees me looking at them with a weird expression or look I have; I was bullied & got in trouble for that. I listen aLOT more than I look at people. When I look at faces in pictures & TV & movies I don't pay much attention to the faces even thou I am capable of seeing the details of them. I focus more on the person's appearance like high & body shape or their voice. I recognize people I know offline by height, body shape, voice, & other details about them like clothing they wear, way they move ect; little things I don't consciously notice but my brain picks up on them & adds the all together. Maybe my brain would of been capable of noticing faces & all like a normal person if I wouldn't of had these other issues as a kid; my brain might not of had the right opportunity to learn & use it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 6:39 pm

I recognize people by a variety of things: size, hair, clothes, ..., but not often by face unless I know them quite well. Even then I sometimes don't recognize them. On several occasions, I have failed to recognize my younger brother going back to when we were kids.

Last week there was an insurance agent in the office for the third (at least the third, anyway) time. All three times he sat in the same place and had the same things around him and that made him relatively easy to recognize the third time. I felt pretty good about that.

A little while later I walked up to the bookkeeper's office and there was someone in there who I didn't recognize. After a bit he spoke and I finally realized that it was the same insurance agent as before.

Anab
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2013, 10:15 am

I lived with this having no idea something is wrong. First time when I start questioning myself was 30 years ago. I was walking to a wall covered in mirrors. I saw a good looking young woman, thinking: what a beauty. Only when I was very close to the wall I realized it is me. I was laughing about the whole story and blame the funeral I was coming from. It is amazing how our brain learn to recognize other persons. The lady who lives next door had long hair. One day she cut her hair very short. It took me 7-8 encounters since my brain learned this is the same person. Now I know who is she, but if I'll meet her a block away from my home, she will be a completly stanger.
I appologize for my broken english....I'm still learning!

Last edited by Anab on 23 May 2013, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 12:58 pm

Prosopagnosia can make watching movies a chore. I wish the directors would make more of an effort to make all the main characters look different from each other.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:14 pm

Not sure that I have this really, just when I first meet people I may get confused at first and it is more about rememering names. I do sometimes not recognize someone right away if I see the person outside of work and in different clothes than at work. So it is more when I first meet people and it may be more of a problem remembering the person's name at first. Once I am there more than a few days it is usually not an issue and I remember names fine. Faces, it may be that if I have not seen a person for a few months or more and they change their hairstyle or lose weight then I may or may not recognize the person.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 3:59 pm

Anab wrote:
I lived with this having no idea something is wrong. First time when I atart questioning myself was 30 years ago. I was walking to a wall covered in mirrors. I saw a good looking young woman, thinking: what a beauty. Only when I was very close to the wall I realized it is me. I was laughing about the whole story and blame the funeral I was coming from. It is amazing how our brain learn to recognize other persons. The lady who lives next door had long hair. One day she cut her hair very short. It took me 7-8 encounters since my brain learned this is the same person. Now I know who is she, but if I'll meet her a block away from my home, she will be a completly stanger. I appologize for my broken english....I'm still learning!

hiya Anab, welcome to our cool club 8) btw I do things like that also [don't recognize people who change their hair or such].

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 5:00 pm

Whenever I get a hair cut, I have a great deal of trouble recognizing myself in the mirror. It just doesn't look like me at all.

Consequently, I avoid getting haircuts very often.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 5:13 pm

^^^
I give myself a flowbee haircut twice a year, whether or not I need one. I don't make it more often than that, because it messes with my appearance too much if I do.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 7:34 pm

Me. I have it. Especially when people are out of context from where I usually see them,

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:00 pm

I'm prosopagnosic too, though only mildly.

According to the online tests I've taken, I have no trouble learning new faces if I pay attention to them, but I do have trouble spotting faces quickly flashing by. Which indicates that faces attract my attention less, thereby giving me less opportunity to learn to recognize them.