Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 2:19 pm

hello. i have been walking for 90 minutes total for many months (3 sessions of 30 minute walks at 3 miles per hour) and also doing 500 sit ups.

i walk on a dreadmill and since summer is coming up it has been getting unbearably hot in the dreadmill room and walking 3 times is torture.

i thought i would cut out a walk and make up the difference with 500 extra sit ups. i am very worried because a lot of sites are saying sit ups are not good for exercise and to do more walking. i would continue my 3 walks a day but the heat is too much for me. it is much easier to walk on the dreadmill during winter.

will 60 minutes of walking and 1000 sit ups be enough? i probably eat about 1,500-2,000 calories a day.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 3:01 pm

You should probably walk outside if at all possible. It's much more fun than a treadmill and probably burns more calories, climbing up hill, going down, etc. If you're not good with people, not too many people are on hiking trails, so if you can get on them, it's fun.

As far as situps, people misunderstand situps. Are you doing 500 situps a day or 500 crunches? Either way, it's probably too much and rather pointless. You can't "trim fat" around various bodyparts by just working the muscles, no matter how many reps. Fat is lost all over the body when you lose fat, though sometimes because hormones, your body will store fat in different spots more. If you want to see your abs/flatten your stomach, you'll have to lose more bodyfat. The situps will strengthen the abs somewhat or give them more endurance, but you will not see your abs regardless of how muscular they are if you have fat covering them.

For diet, it again, depends on bodyweight and if you wish to lose weight/lose fat. I'd say 2000 is probably good for your activity level, considering walking is pretty low intensity. The only way to know for sure is run your bodyweight through a calorie counter type thing, and if you wanna lose weight, do a deficit of 500-1000 cals a day. Of course, it also helps to know your bodyfat levels. Some people are skinny and high bodyfat, and other people are technically overweight and have low bodyfat and will weigh the same. Also, it's easier to calculate calories needed if you have your lean mass levels and bodyfat levels known. BTW, generally 10% bodyfat will make you look "ripped" but imo, most people will consider you "skinny" at under 20% bodyfat.

Good luck!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:07 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
hello. i have been walking for 90 minutes total for many months (3 sessions of 30 minute walks at 3 miles per hour) and also doing 500 sit ups.

Consider joining a gym instead. You'll get the best ab workout there is from squats, deadlifts and cable crunches.

Quote:
i thought i would cut out a walk and make up the difference with 500 extra sit ups. i am very worried because a lot of sites are saying sit ups are not good for exercise and to do more walking. i would continue my 3 walks a day but the heat is too much for me. it is much easier to walk on the dreadmill during winter.

will 60 minutes of walking and 1000 sit ups be enough? i probably eat about 1,500-2,000 calories a day.

What's "enough", is highly dependent on what your goals are. 1,500—2000 calories is too little to gain muscle and most cases—and in the lngmrun, it will cripple your testosterone production.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2013, 4:14 pm

You might get more out of it if say you did 60 minutes of more intense walking, and instead of just a 1000 "sit ups", try to distribute your strength training over your whole body, not just one body part 500 or a thousand times. Try some push ups, some squats, lunges, burpees, etc. You can do all of those with bodyweight alone and you'll end up revving up your metabolism as you build muscle.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2013, 4:19 pm

All of that said, it's great that you are making such an effort to get exercise all the time. I know it's not easy, but it's really good for you. The only problem is that if you do one routine or one move over and over again, your muscles will get used to doing it and they will stop adapting and you'll hit a plateau. Mixing it up a little bit would probably help you see more results for the effort that you're putting in, which is great.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2013, 1:04 am

I would consider increasing your daily caloric intake.

Sit-ups, pushups, squats, even jumping rope.

Would bodyweight exercises interest you?

Enjoy your exercise routine and consider mixing it up.

22 May 2013, 10:58 am

Firstly what's your goal?

Gain muscle? Get ripped? Lose weight? Lean muscle? Being a bulked up powerlifter? being strong and lean? We need to know what your goal is first.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 12:16 pm

sorry i solved my problem shortly after posting the first message