People Asperger's Syndrome ever dated/married a NT Person ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2013, 12:43 am

Have any People with Asperger's Syndrome ever dated/married a Person who is NT ?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 12:49 am

Plenty. Why do you ask?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 12:51 am

I've been with my NT for years, anything you'd like to know?

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2013, 1:00 am

I am just curious to be honest. I have done this as well. I don't want to limit myself.

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2013, 1:02 am

I want like anyone to define the word/term NT does this word mean a Person who does not have Asperger's Syndrome ?

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 1:52 am

mikecartwright wrote:
Have any People with Asperger's Syndrome ever dated/married a Person who is NT ?

Yes.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2013, 2:37 am

mikecartwright wrote:
I want like anyone to define the word/term NT does this word mean a Person who does not have Asperger's Syndrome ?

Sometimes, it is used to describe anyone without any psychological abnormality, but I use it exclusively to describe people who aren't on the spectrum.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 2:49 am

mikecartwright wrote:

I think NT means anybody that doesn't have a recognized mental-disorder(whether it's diagnosed or not).

However, people on Wrong Planet often use the term very loosely to describe someone they just met and don't know very well who may not actually be an "NT" in the first place. For example, sociopaths are usually mistaken for being NT since they appear relatively normal on the surface most of the time.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 8:32 am

Yes, I've dated a few - although it has to be said that most of them had other health issues that aren't generally categorised as ASDs.

None of them turned out to be permanent, but then neither did any of the relationships I've had with aspies.

creativeaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2013, 9:29 am

mikecartwright wrote:

yes. going on 8 years now. 2 kids.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 9:40 am

Mike, as one who as been with a normal woman for thirteen years, my advice would be for aspies to try to pair up with normals. The reason I say this is that complimentarity, rather than equality, should be emphasized in romantic relationships. In other words, looking for our "equals" means we wind up with somebody just like we are (equality means the same as). I think aspies, and everybody else for that matter, have the best relationships with a partner who has strengths that compensate for our weaknesses, and vice versa. For example, my partner has very good social skills that compensate for my lack thereof, and I have strengths that compensate for some of her weaknesses.

This is NOT to disparage those in aspie-aspie relationships; I'm aware that some work out quite well. I would simply much prefer to have somebody in my life who can compensate for my weaknesses, and I for theirs.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2013, 10:02 am

As far as I can tell, all my exes are NT.

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2013, 5:56 pm

My ex husband was NT and boyfriends were NT.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:34 pm

My boyfriend is NT...but I'm Aspie-ish so I'm not sure if I count. :P

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

chibi555

28 May 2013, 4:32 pm

I had a boyfriend who I'm 85% sure was an NT, but it didn't end all that well.

sictek
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2013, 7:05 pm

Coming out of 7 year relationship with 2 kids. Didn't fully realize my condition until it was too late. My advice, communication. Something that my relationship lacked and ultimately pushed her away. It's easy to take your partner for granted when you get complacent but NTs need emotional reassurance and you will have to compromise at some point and venture outside your comfort zone. Find out what is important to them and work to fulfill their needs while they try to understand and respect yours.