Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 7:21 am

...without knowing the SW you can't really say s/he will come round. They could be not such a great person, or just have no understanding of autism (something which has been in the media here in the UK recently, the NAS has said most people with autism feel their SW doesn't understand their condition). OP can't take that chance, sounds as if she needs to get out asap and take action. Her mum needs to be strong and stand up to the relevant people, not let them give her the runaround. Know your rights and fight for them.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 1:39 pm

Hi, please understand that in no way, shape, or form am I saying you should just depend on the social worker and sit around passively waiting. It sounds like your mum is gearing up to talk with the social worker's supervisor, which sounds like a good plan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the social worker does come through, either before or after her supervisor talks with her, and starts taking active steps to get you a good place, go ahead and graciously accept this change. (The social worker might not be able to admit even to herself that she was slow on the uptake.)

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 30 May 2013, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 2:50 pm

Autisticgamer wrote:
. . . It's not very nice here also cos all day and night there's at lest 4 different horrible loud sudden endless alarms that I can hear from my room like different kinds of beeps , and then there's screaming from other rooms from any time from 12 - 5 am and they seem to love to chat in front outside of MY room door early hours in the morning (every day so far this week) and coming in my room waking me up for no apparent reason (very VERY hard for me to sleep a autism problem, they know this)

The staff is anti-resident. My guess is that they worry about perceived loss of status from fellow staff members if they allow themselves to be played or worked by residents, so they play it "safe" and go the other direction and make the opposite assumption. But whatever the cause, they are anti-resident.

This is a combat situation, and there are two tricky things you might want to consider. One is adopting a couple of new hobbies while there, including one or two phoney hobbies. That way, if they take something away from you, they're not really hurting you. And this image and front does give you a little bit of protection.

And two, regarding the sleep deprivation, recognize that it is combat. Underplay how much it's bothering you especially in any conversations with staff members, but do try and get a casual late morning or early afternoon snooze (the classic "power nap"). And even twenty minutes of dozing off while sitting in a chair can help. And I think this late morning or early afternoon is a natural low ebb on the circadian clock, sometimes as late as 3 pm.

And in a low-key fashion, try and be supportive of other residents there without taking big risks yourself. This can be tricky. And please trust your gut instincts regarding this.

Autisticgamer
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 10:51 am

Just a update

They like this with other people here a new girl come in no idea why she is the way she is but I don't like her , the first day she was here we kept shouting across the room and questions about me hurting my ears they wouldn't tell her when she was going home either

Also on a day where they refused to help me stop hitting myself (not going into detail they just said there not allowed to stop me) the girl was sitting at the other end of the room (completely unaware/not fussed that I was hitting myself) shouting asking if I could talk why am I not wearing socks (they took them for washing machine never got socks back along with many of my clouthes) and that I'm not wearing socks then she said she dosnt like me and asked if she could sit with me they said no this girl aslo when we were all sitting outside she asked to go on the swing seat that I was also sitting on she said again I'm not wearing socks and then pulled my hair then pulled my hair again, HARD I nearly hit her.

Another time there is a resident who was left on there own being very loud and they were left to it for ages (they in wheelchair body odd shape as in small skinny legs big belly small head leg braces on also very old ) they basically scream jiberish I don't mean trying to talk babbling I mean things that make no dam sense like "I'm gona set my dog on you" over and over but in a barley understandable voice and "I neeed a mann" over and over or "she needs the toilet" over and over in a very hard to understand way she was screaming that along with other jiberish I was sitting waiting for somone to stop for a second so I could ask for some food. (None all day) on my dynavox I couldn't handle it anymore and a man (who seems a bit disabled possibly mild downs but he knows what's what etc and seizures I think) actually shouted for her to shut up numerous times I just screamed and threw my iPhone 4S across the room (i was previously covering my ears and getting ignored)
And then my old brick Nokia phone that I use to text my mum with so hard that (and I threw my iPhone this hard) that it smashed to bits i then screamed (in my own "language") shut up shut up shut up shut up over and over while rocking and screaming and crying hitting myself so bad 4staff grabbed me put me in a wheelchair pushed me to my room then a staff behind me (that I know as and her nickname to me and mum is b***h) I herd her say "we'll she got what she wanted attention of staff and she got it didn't she" another time where I did a meltdown I was smashing the place up I got told I will not ruin for other residents and to go (yes really they said this to me) to go smash MY ROOM up and that's what I went to do tv etc across the floor they come in and one said to me "your doing this because you wanted something arnt you, because you asked for something and somone said no!!" Instead of just helping me ...

Also loads of remarks etc like I can't hear them etc

One time it was very hard to walk becuase of meltdown and I was tying to go to my room he lady (the one who said wanted something somone said no) because she picked up my iPhone 4S as I was waking was at (extremely slowly trying to keep my balance) I herd her say "I'm not chasing after you" then I gets her say "(my name) don't forget your phone" then I herd her mumble the word "idiot"
Yesterday a man got back from his holiday (lives here he's around 30 or 40 seems to be mild mental retardation, eyes always crossed makes a lot of rrrrrmmm noises like a stim dosnt talk besides noises like ohh ooooh yoy yoy yoy yoh yoh yoh ahh ahh beh beh they seem to understand and words but With bits missing the same way he says noisies) anyway he was holding a expensive looking box (later foud out its his watch) it was still at home and he wanted it i herd him outside my door most of the day a staff shouted at him (all outside my door) saying "don't shout talk to me" i forget the rest now but later that night I herd him down the corridor he suddenly bang bang bang on my door he got screamed at by staff (1 normal staff on at night but the one I call b***h) and all the other staff ever on at night are barley English (Lithuania, Italy, Spain, Germany, African etc...) so obiously he would be frustrated because they wouldn't understand him I then herd the b***h lady scream "don't you spit in my face" and a forgien one shout "I'm not talking to you anymore" this was all to him then later I herd him scream and the forgien one shout the same as before

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
This is a combat situation, and there are two tricky things you might want to consider. One is adopting a couple of new hobbies while there, including one or two phoney hobbies. That way, if they take something away from you, they're not really hurting you. And this image and front does give you a little bit of protection.

And two, regarding the sleep deprivation, recognize that it is combat. Underplay how much it's bothering you especially in any conversations with staff members, but do try and get a casual late morning or early afternoon snooze (the classic "power nap"). And even twenty minutes of dozing off while sitting in a chair can help. And I think this late morning or early afternoon is a natural low ebb on the circadian clock, sometimes as late as 3 pm.

And in a low-key fashion, try and be supportive of other residents there without taking big risks yourself. This can be tricky. And please trust your gut instincts regarding this.

This seems to me like it would be a great strategy. Especially the part about gut instincts. I know for sure, that's a good strategy.

Wish I could get you out of there, it sounds like the most horrible nightmare I can even imagine. :(

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:11 pm

Is there any way you could record them so you have proof? Also, since you have email maybe if you email a tv news station with the information, or a newspaper, they could bring attention to this.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Autisticgamer
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Is there any way you could record them so you have proof? Also, since you have email maybe if you email a tv news station with the information, or a newspaper, they could bring attention to this.

Have been recording when I can got a few videos

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

That's fantastic. Well done.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

Autisticgamer wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Email them to your local news station. That will get the management there at the place interested in treating you and the other residents better!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

Autisticgamer wrote:

This is an ace, but then I'd kind of recommend that you stand pat at this point. Maybe when you have some privacy, if you have something like a yahoo or google account, send an email to yourself. And that way the video will be preserved.

It's just like when political activists videotape police. It really is two sides of the coin. Sometimes the police are on their best behavior. But sometimes, the police arrest or physically assault the activist doing the videotaping.

With a couple of videos, that's enough of an ace in the hand. Secure them in one or several ways. But you probably don't need to continue to take risks of filming additional videos, at least not for the time being. Or there's a tension, for there is benefit, but there is also risk. Now, if you get caught, just be matter-of-fact and confident, for you do have a right to film.