Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 1:33 am

So one of my more recent hobbies (very recent, since about a week before Christmas, actually) is the Rubik's Cube. I've had it for about a month now, and I've become very adept at solving it--if I do say so myself. I've only had three sub-sixty solves, but my average is about 2 minutes (and that is slowly dropping to about 1:50.) I have also amused myself by figuring out different patterns to make with my cube. (Actually, the cube I am using in the video is a new one purchased last Friday since my first cube had a nasty habit of falling to bits in my hands if I got to twisting it too fast.)

Well, I've put up a little site where you can see me solve the cube and solve for patterns. Depending on your connection, it might take about five minutes for ALL the video to load, but you should be able to see the patterns as soon as you open the page. Okay, here it is.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 1:34 am

They had a Rubik's Cube tournament in San Francisco just a few days ago.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 4:44 am

They're comming back in vogue. I remember my first Rubix Cube. I've recieved it for my eighth birthday.

HolyDragonSword
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2007, 5:08 am

...I have no ability whatsoever to solve one. My brain fails there. ;_;

(and yet, it's been a dream of mine to be so good at that.)

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 11:58 am

HolyDragonSword wrote:
...I have no ability whatsoever to solve one. My brain fails there. ;_;

(and yet, it's been a dream of mine to be so good at that.)

practice, practice, practice. And its okay to not be able to solve it right off. And the first time I solved it by complete accident and had to work out what I had done in my head. Then I messed it up again, and couldn't solve it for a week. Then I figured it out. And now I just work on speed.

The world record is something like 10.5 seconds, and that involves some serious algorithm memorization and "finger tricks." Those are nifty to watch.

But I think what a lot of people hate about the cube is that you HAVE to mess it up to solve it; you can't get one face and then solve the rest without messing up the first.

And if you are able to get the white face completely solved---that is to say that if you can get the white on top and then the first layer of the cube solved (so there is a red, green, blue, and orange side), then I can teach you how to solve for the rest. But you have to understand how the cube works first.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 12:02 pm

I got one for Christmas and it took me about 1-2 weeks to solve.

I'm not that good, but with practice, I think I'll get there. 8)

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 12:03 pm

Alternative wrote:
I got one for Christmas and it took me about 1-2 weeks to solve.

I'm not that good, but with practice, I think I'll get there. 8)

Yeah, it is all about practice.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 8:31 pm

I bought one on monday. I am trying to learn the algorithms to solve the cube off by heart. I will then try and improve my time, then try some speed-cubing methods. I find this method is quite easy to follow: http://www.nerdparadise.com/puzzles/333/

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 12:04 am

neurodeviant wrote:
I bought one on monday. I am trying to learn the algorithms to solve the cube off by heart. I will then try and improve my time, then try some speed-cubing methods. I find this method is quite easy to follow: http://www.nerdparadise.com/puzzles/333/

Right, well, now that Atomika has won whatever it was he was trying to win---I solve the bottom completely differently; I solve the cross first before messing with the sides and corners, unless those are easily manuevered into position.