Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 8:38 am

I very narrowly graduated from a charter highschool in the year 2000. I haven't had further "official" education since -- but not for lack of want.

I really love to learn about nature, it's my default state. Every day I read non-fiction related to science, plants, to fungi, and I add to my inner bank of knowledge. I then apply this information in skills -- I use it carve out a living in related work. For instance, next year I will be starting "wild edibles" talks/hikes on the weekends.

My problem with school wasn't one of disinterest or misbehavior. It's that I can't sit still. My "stim" is motion, I have to move in order to focus, in order to think clearly. My whole being is involved with it. (Originally this kinetic quality was thought to be ADHD)

I could not complete school and withdrew from it entirely in late 2001. In my early 20's the lack of education disposed me to retail jobs. I found myself fiercely depressed at such jobs because of the repetitiveness, and utter lack of mind stimulation. I did not understand the politics and felt terribly out of place.

I don't know how to describe all of this to people. Over the years I meet people, they remark about how "knowledgeable" I appear to be. Immediately followed by "where did you go to school" or "what was your major" ... and each time I'm left to describe rather succinctly, that I do not have formal education.

How do other people deal with this sort of thing?

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2013, 12:10 pm

abyssquick wrote:
I very narrowly graduated from a charter highschool in the year 2000. I haven't had further "official" education since -- but not for lack of want.

I really love to learn about nature, it's my default state. Every day I read non-fiction related to science, plants, to fungi, and I add to my inner bank of knowledge. I then apply this information in skills -- I use it carve out a living in related work. For instance, next year I will be starting "wild edibles" talks/hikes on the weekends.

My problem with school wasn't one of disinterest or misbehavior. It's that I can't sit still. My "stim" is motion, I have to move in order to focus, in order to think clearly. My whole being is involved with it. (Originally this kinetic quality was thought to be ADHD)

I could not complete school and withdrew from it entirely in late 2001. In my early 20's the lack of education disposed me to retail jobs. I found myself fiercely depressed at such jobs because of the repetitiveness, and utter lack of mind stimulation. I did not understand the politics and felt terribly out of place.

I don't know how to describe all of this to people. Over the years I meet people, they remark about how "knowledgeable" I appear to be. Immediately followed by "where did you go to school" or "what was your major" ... and each time I'm left to describe rather succinctly, that I do not have formal education.

How do other people deal with this sort of thing?

I was about to start a topic similar to this, but I will add on to this instead.

Although I got good grades in primary school, it seemed that I had to put forth a great deal more effort than most kids to achieve such. I have just started back at university and a 10 page paper takes me about 12-15 hours to write. I work with a guy that could write that same length paper in about 30 minutes.

My views on "official" education are like yours I think, I don't really understand why jobs look for that label of a degree. The only reason I am going to college now is to please the military. I feel that I have learned so much more researching books and the internet than I could ever learn in a classroom full of students. Unfortunately the paper degree is what most jobs look for. The only reason I can partially understand that is they want to see that you stuck with college to the end and are thus reliable for the long haul. I believe that many people, NT's alike, would agree with that statement. So basically, college teaches more about showing up on time and attendance than specific knowledge towards a career.

If I was a employer though, I would definitely consider hiring the person that has the "self-study" qualification over the college graduate. This is because the college person studied many broad areas to get the degree, and probably very little that relates directly to the job specifically. The self-study person most likely learned everything they could about the job, and would be very knowledgeable on the details.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 5:02 pm

That sucks. I'm headed down the same road, I think. I have every learning disability one can have, it's amazing that I can drive my car. I am 16 and in 10th grade, 11th next year. But I am probably at a 4th grade level as far as school work goes. I don't want a stupid job, at least not for ever. A stupid job now, to pay for gas would be nice but not forever. I want to do BIG things and make a BIG difference in the world but who will concider me to be anything other than a ret*d with no education? I don't know what to do, your story doesn't give me much hope.