Do buddhists know the real purpose of life?

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 6:30 pm

Consciously following natural law will end up in disorganised chaos and civil unrest or it will end up in a dictatorship, it wouldn't work to your self-centered interest because a bigger alpha would run your ass over at the drop of a dime.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 9:58 pm

Corvus wrote:
I'm not the one defending the reasons for problems in society

I'm the one arguing how to rid of them

I don't see them as necessarily the problems. I see the problem from arising from breaking laws and disrespecting order, not on personal belief whether it is egoism, altruism, or what may have you.
snake321 wrote:
And you awesome, act like problems are a good thing, seeking to rid of them is "totalitarian".... Ok, so I guess acting to prevent the halucaust by your twisted so-called logic is "totalitarian"... So I guess we should stop prosecuting murder, rape, robbery, and vandalism too then right? If you try to stop them you'r "totalitarian" because your "forcing your idea of right and wrong on them" Rolling Eyes
I don't argue that problems are positive. I don't see the belief as the problem. Acting to prevent the holocaust never happened, and to some extent I am arguing that the actions do matter due to precedent, so how the holocaust was stopped really does matter, if one drunkenly blows out Hitler's brain because of his mustache, obviously even though some good resulted from that act, it really was not a good act. Murder, rape, robbery, and vandalism are other things, to say that my view is for any one of them really is a fatal error in my views, as I have argued that intervention is necessary when one human acts in aggression to another as enforcement of rule of law is a necessity for a functioning society, and the reason why we created a government in the first place. However, I don't extend this necessarily to things that need not be considered functioning parties in the first place and judge harm by violence towards another living person or that which belongs to them, not more than that.
Quote:
Consciously following natural law will end up in disorganised chaos and civil unrest or it will end up in a dictatorship, it wouldn't work to your self-centered interest because a bigger alpha would run your ass over at the drop of a dime.

I never called for any abolishment of government and by decreasing unnecessary crime coverage, we cut costs and can focus on more important people. Really, I think that a big alpha probably has more power under the cover of many, meaningless laws than with a few meaningful laws, as alphas would more likely bend or break laws, or control police than other aspects of our society.

Anyway, this discussion bores me, so if nobody minds and even if they do then I probably won't post anything more on this topic.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 8:07 am

(Odin casts a thread necromancy spell)

*BUMP*

I'm an atheist though I do I a strong degree of agreement with Buddhist thought (the main exception being the reincarnation thing), which fits so well with my philosophical views it's freaky. I meditate and it certainly isn't mystical mumbo-jumbo, that reputation meditation has probably stems from the transcendental meditation crackpots that think they can float and related New Age BS. The best way to think of Buddhist meditation is as a kind of cognitive behavior therapy based on developing awareness of one's own habitual ways of thinking that one's sense of self is composed of.