Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 7:01 pm

I'm pretty lyric hard of hearing. I've had to Google the lyrics even to songs I've heard >100 times! At least this means I "miss out on" less with foreign-language songs - some English lyrics are so hard for me to hear that they might as well be in German!

AQ: 33

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

Personally i prefer music without lyrics.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2013, 7:29 pm

[quote="Soham"]Not only that, but music with no lyrics I can make my own meaning and feelings to the song, instead of it being about what ever a person is singing about.[/quote
I know exactly what you mean. Songs are spoiled for me sometimes when I look up the lyrics. I attach my own meaning to the song. Maybe that's why I like so much music.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Nope, can not relate to that at all. Maybe it's because i'm more of an auditory kind of person. I always hear the lyrics. For me, this is just the essence of music. Even when it's in a language i don't fully understand. I just hear the lyrics two or three times, and i can sing a long. Love to do that by the way :)

Same here. Words and music go together for me.

I love poetry, though. I always think spoken word poetry sounds lame when there's no music playing with it. When I listen to instrumental music, I sometimes get something like word synaesthesia where I can imagine lyrics that aren't even there.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 04 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shelbo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

Can't care for lyrics, only listen to bass and drum rhythms.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2013, 9:39 pm

alecazam3567 wrote:
Soham wrote:
Not only that, but music with no lyrics I can make my own meaning and feelings to the song, instead of it being about what ever a person is singing about.

I know exactly what you mean. Songs are spoiled for me sometimes when I look up the lyrics. I attach my own meaning to the song. Maybe that's why I like so much music.

Yup!....I know how that goes. I enjoy music for the music itself and the feelings/mood it conveys, not for the message or story in the lyrics. I could never relate to or understand the message/story in lyrics anyways, for reasons already discussed.

I am like a marionette, and music is my puppeteer, pulling strings of emotions and feelings I have no words for. Nothing pulls my strings of feelings more than music :) . Not to mention music causes quite a textured/visual aspect to play out in my mind, synaesthesia of sorts.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Nothing to do with NT vs Aspie.

It's not that usual for NTs to have auditory processing disorder.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

Anomiel wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Nothing to do with NT vs Aspie.

It's not that usual for NTs to have auditory processing disorder.

I had never known any one else that had difficulty hearing lyrics in music until I came here. As I got older I thought this was a strange issue I had (not knowing about my case of aspergers at the time), so over the years I've asked many friends and other peoples if they have this problem and they all say no.

I've had friends that wanted me to listen to a song to hear some particular lyrics, I tried my hardest but just could not separate and process the lyrics from the music, while they're sitting there hearing everything perfectly clear.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 10:46 am

Note: I regard Mandarin Chinese as my first language and English as my second language.
I usually have a harder time figuring English lyrics out as compared to Mandarin Chinese lyrics.

thegreataturn

09 Jun 2013, 12:02 pm

I get this all to well . I hear the words but they just don't go in . I guess they just get mixed up in the music and it all becomes one . If I try real hard to listen to what they are singing I can't enjoy the song and just give in and get into the music . The only time I can really sing to a song is when it is very repetitive and repeats the same thing over and over . I just like to listen to music for the feel of it not to understand what they are on about .

The best thing is just to feel the music and let it take you .