Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or up in psychological disorders, but I'll start here at least.

We've all read the reports on the absurd frequency with which soldiers are committing suicide, and the absurd PTSD rates coming out of Iraq and, perhaps especially, Afghanistan. PTSD is nothing new, of course, and has been documented under various names since at least the Civil War. It seems, however, that our recent more are taking a greater psychological toll. There are several explanations for this, of course, that I can come up with:

1. Something about Afghanistan is far more horrific or difficult than other wars, causing greater combat stress.
2. Lack of genuine support for the troops (Bumper stickers don't count) is taking it's toll.
3. Lack of mental health care for the troops.
4. We're diagnosis happy.
5. The lines have been blurred on whether they are the good guys or not.
6. My generation is just soft.
7. Better diagnostic techniques.

I'm not sure what to think.

What do you think?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 7:04 pm

It was once called "shell shock",I think it's just more diagnosed.My dad was 100% disabled from WW 2, he went to therapy at the VA.My friend's Dad would jump for cover if it thundered.I don't think much could be worse than what my Dad went thru on Attu.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 7:22 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It was once called "shell shock",I think it's just more diagnosed.My dad was 100% disabled from WW 2, he went to therapy at the VA.My friend's Dad would jump for cover if it thundered.I don't think much could be worse than what my Dad went thru on Attu.

During the Civil War they called it the thousand yard stare. PTSD has happened in every major war.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:02 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
4. We're diagnosis happy.
6. My generation is just soft.

My diagnosis.

PTSD is slapped on a wide range of issues. Had a car accident, you technically can be Dx with PTSD. Since they want to use PTSD as a basis to curtail many legal rights (e.g., gun ownership), I feel it's being promoted as a Dx because people want to label as many as possible.

On top of that, Americans are soft. We know nothing of hardship compared to most people we fight on the battlefield. Do the Afghans struggle with PTSD? Certainly not to the extent our people do. Why? They live in a violent culture where death and violence is a common occurrence. They are more conditioned to cope than we are.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:24 am

Stop loss + no draft + long war = 4 or more tours of duty for some = more PTSD.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

Ole Boy was in Middle East both times - the first war there and this past one. He came back crazier each time he was deployed. I don't think his is exactly PTSD because he's flat out crazy from time to time, not just jumpy or having flashbacks. He thought his dog was talking to him and that the alarm company guys were space aliens. I think he had other mental issues that the war exacerbated, and that could be the case with some people.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 9:07 am

I vote for option 7. If today's soldiers are all going soft, then this web site is just full of a bunch of mollycoddled pathetic whiners now, isn't it.... 8O I believe that there is better diagnosis and awareness, but now the support and safety net for these individuals needs to catch up to provide some actual benefits.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 9:23 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I vote for option 7. If today's soldiers are all going soft, then this web site is just full of a bunch of mollycoddled pathetic whiners now, isn't it.... 8O I believe that there is better diagnosis and awareness, but now the support and safety net for these individuals needs to catch up to provide some actual benefits.

Also I think that it's not seen as being weak now like it used to be. I think there isn't as much shame surrounding something like that anymore. Maybe there were just as many cases in the past but the guys and their families hid it well.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

8. Multiple deployments.

This would be my pick. Some of these soldiers are on their 3rd or 4th deployment. It's too much strain on the brain.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Stop loss + no draft + long war = 4 or more tours of duty for some = more PTSD.

Yes, that.

I don't think these vets are any softer than vets of previous generations so it wouldn't be that.

Today's vets are also given more social support than the vets who came back from Vietnam. It may not seem like bumper stickers count but seeing a sympathetic bumper sticker is more helpful psychologically than being called "baby killer" and reviled when you come back. Today's vets are treated better than Vietnam vets ever were so if the rate of PTSD is higher now, it wouldn't be that.

But given how freaking long this war has gone on, I'm going with multiple tours of duty as the cause.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:57 am

zer0netgain wrote:
[On top of that, Americans are soft. We know nothing of hardship compared to most people we fight on the battlefield. Do the Afghans struggle with PTSD? Certainly not to the extent our people do. Why? They live in a violent culture where death and violence is a common occurrence. They are more conditioned to cope than we are.

However, the OP is comparing PTSD between the current American generation of vets and previous American vets. Are today's American vets softer than the American vets of the Vietnam, Korean etc. wars? I see no evidence of that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm

I know three Afgani vets,only one is having problems.And knowing what he went thru,most people would.The other two guys did their tours and didn't get injured ay all,both did get shot in bar fights here when they got home.Strange.
More people are coming forward and asking for help,at one time it would not be considered manly to admit to service related mental issues.The best we can do is provide mental health care and support to those dealing with the issues.
My Dad was the kindest and most gentle man I have ever known,and he had PTSD.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
PTSD is slapped on a wide range of issues. Had a car accident, you technically can be Dx with PTSD. Since they want to use PTSD as a basis to curtail many legal rights (e.g., gun ownership), I feel it's being promoted as a Dx because people want to label as many as possible.

You could very well be right. It could get to where people will no longer come forward for help since they believe they'll be labeled for life or screwed over under the pretense of "help".
I knew one Marine that came back from a particularly tough tour in Iraq including the battle of Fallujah. He was honorably discharged after his enlistment was up and applied for PTSD help and got it. After a while he wanted to go back in the USMC but they wouldn't take him back because he'd been treated for PTSD.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

Janissy wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
[On top of that, Americans are soft. We know nothing of hardship compared to most people we fight on the battlefield. Do the Afghans struggle with PTSD? Certainly not to the extent our people do. Why? They live in a violent culture where death and violence is a common occurrence. They are more conditioned to cope than we are.

However, the OP is comparing PTSD between the current American generation of vets and previous American vets. Are today's American vets softer than the American vets of the Vietnam, Korean etc. wars? I see no evidence of that.

Well, even then, this current generation is the most pampered generation of kids ever. Vietnam, life was tougher. WWII? WWI? Life was tougher, and FRANKLY, military discipline was a whole lot harsher...even in the Vietnam era compared to today.