The Rains of Castamere (Red Wedding) (GoT TV Spoilers)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 8:01 pm

First, to allow for more fluid discussion, I'd like to allow unmarked spoilers up to yesterday's episode, so people who haven't seen it yet or the others before are warned, and people who have read all the books refrain from spoiling the series or mark them properly if they must. Starting next post.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 8:05 pm

So, the moment I'd been waiting for and one of the most shocking things I found when I read the series for the first time, the infamous Red Wedding, where the rebellion of the north meets a swift and bloody end and many of the characters some of us cared about die. For those who watched the serirs or read the books what was your reaction to it? Was it more shocking than Ned's death, or were you already prepared and knew that in GoT nobody is really safe? Will you keep watching?

To close with a thought, Rains of Castamere was a very fitting title for this episode

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 5:36 am

One of my favorite things about Martin.

Been waiting for this all season.

In its way, it worked. But the sense of dread Martin built up in the books with all the little details about the "offness" of the festivities, Grey Wind's unease, the poor quality of the musicians, was missing. I think it could have been stronger had it been filmed as it was written.

Though, like I said, it did work in it's own way. I imagine, for those who haven't read the books, it was an enormous shock. And perhaps the changes made, the lighthearted tone to parts of the episode, helped to provide that sense of surprise.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:34 pm

Yes, I remember reading the books for the first time I was like "but they can't break guest rights can they? I'm sure Grey Wind is like that because they are not to trust, but it isn't like anything will happen! GRRM sure can't be THAT bad. And poor Catelyn has been through enough already, and she is about to finally meet with her daughter, he really can't be so bad as to yank that from us when they were so close!"

That was one thing that hit me hard too, I'd been rooting for Arya to meet with her family again for at least half the book and I was really looking forward to her getting to the Twins and reuniting with Robb and Carelyn. And she was so close! Damn you GRRM!

At least in the books Robb's wife fares better, although she was a rather minor character there.

Stonetoad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

I couldn't sleep last night. What a shock!

I'm not a book reader, and I don't think I need to. I hope the Starks get their revenge...

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm

Maybe I am an oddball but as soon as they agreed to go there, I was thinking "That man is so proud (and in this case, vengeful) that he would be incredibly dangerous when crossed. Don't go, you idiots!". :lol:

I cried when the wolf died.

And when they killed Robb's wife.

But the rest of it did not surprise me, I kind of saw it coming, although it was pretty violent.
All my favourite characters are still safe! :cheers:

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm

Kjas wrote:
All my favourite characters are still safe! :cheers:

:twisted:

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 5:04 am

Why does'nt George RR Martin use Twitter? He killed all 140 characters. :wink:

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:14 pm

Shatbat wrote:
So, the moment I'd been waiting for and one of the most shocking things I found when I read the series for the first time, the infamous Red Wedding, where the rebellion of the north meets a swift and bloody end and many of the characters some of us cared about die. For those who watched the serirs or read the books what was your reaction to it? Was it more shocking than Ned's death, or were you already prepared and knew that in GoT nobody is really safe? Will you keep watching?

To close with a thought, Rains of Castamere was a very fitting title for this episode

Not as shocking as Ned's death, no - but then when I saw the episode where Ned died, I hadn't read the books, and I sure wasn't expecting them to really kill of the main character - I thought Ned would get a reprieve so when his head came off, I was shocked and stunned.

As for this recent episode, I'd read past this point in the books so was not shocked by what I saw on TV. I was shocked when I read the books but as someone mentioned, Rob's mom noticing things were amiss in the book was much more played out than on TV, so it wasn't like a single moment of shock in the books, but a long, drawn out shock.

That said, I really did enjoy it more in the book. I really understand how anyone who didn't read the book would be shocked at what they saw the other night, but to me what was shown on TV did not live up to what was in the book - I think honestly that the production value and even the acting (especially of Rob, who seems to not have much emotion as his wife is murdered in front of him) of this scene was a bit of a let down - I imagined the banquet hall being much more crowded, and the makeup / effects (specifically the throat slashings) were not so well done - a bit surprising since the producers have mentioned that *this* was the scene they've waited years to film.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 12:46 pm

It was far more shocking in the books. In the tv show the suspense and shock weren't as tangible. Plus...there is so much more coming. These poor tv watchers haven't a clue what they are in for.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

My mouth fell open wide when I saw that dreaded scene.
Btw, isn't the topic title a little spoily? Some people could get the reference to blood and thus expect death.

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

Stonetoad wrote:
That is the best pun on the "walk into Mordor" line I have EVER seen. :D

I'm a reader, but I don't watch the series. Friends of mine do, though, and when they alerted me to the fact it was about to air, I was very excited to see twitter / tumblr / facebook explode ...

I wonder whether the fact that they changed Robb's wife in the series to a completely different character could provide clues for the goings-on in the books.