Any artists on here sold any of their work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 9:06 am

I was wondering if anyone here is making or has made a living off of their art.

I've recently got back into drawing and discovered that I'm still pretty good at it. I'm really keen on the idea of making a bit of money from my art, as illustrating is something I really and truly love to do and a lot of the more traditional jobs for someone my age (working in a supermarket, waiting tables etc.) can be a bit difficult for me to handle.

So, any artists making money from their talent out there?

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jun 2013, 11:48 am

I don't commercially sell any drawings or anything, but in the past I have sold a few drawings from around $10-$30. I sent all the money to my school's board of administration, though, toward the art program.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

I plan to be an author for my career, so I'll likely have sold a large amount of books by the time you're reading this, 15 years into the future.

But currently, haven't published anything yet - still in high school XD.

Author/Writer

thechameleon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Laddo wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here is making or has made a living off of their art.
So, any artists making money from their talent out there?

The Arts are some of the hardest things to actually make a living off of. Even professionals with great talent usually need a day-job to support themselves.

Most the people I know are actually artists and only one of them supports herself with it. Most of them opt for commissions (Your idea + their abilities = personalised art.) but don't have a large enough 'fanbase' to actually make decent money. The one who supports herself with her art is a fairly popular artist on DeviantArt and does $10 commissions and upwards depending on complexity.
I'd suggest you have fun making a bunch of your own stuff and advertising it on social media sites, you may be able to get commissions if people like your work.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm

Hmm, yeah I did think that I would probably need some other form of supporting myself financially. I'm working on getting a website up with my art and would love to be able to sell some of my work, even if its only a few copies.

It's still worth trying though, even if I do have to work somewhere else to keep the bills paid!

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

xbinkus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

I only recently got into acrylic painting as part of my therapy. I didn't intend to sell any of it, but I was offered money for one of my first paintings and that was pretty exciting. Since I'm already self employed and paints/canvas is expensive, I decided to see if anyone else wanted to buy my art and put some on Etsy.

I've had a small selection on for a couple months; so far I've gotten one job out of it. It certainly won't pay the bills any time soon but it helps cover the costs of art supplies and give me a little extra spending money. I could probably try a little harder, but making Etsy listings is simple and cheap, and honestly, I'm still a little unsure in my ability and the quality of my art so getting it out there and self-promoting is difficult for me.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 6:40 am

Thanks xbinkus. I've never heard of Etsy before, I will have to check it out.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, I painted constantly. Oil painting was my life. I woke up and started to paint. I got home from school and painted. The only time I didn't paint was when I could not afford material.
To answer the question, I've sold art work, but not to make a living. Mostly because someone insisted on paying me. I mostly gave my work to friends, or traded it for Skippy peanut butter, Welches grape jelly, and bread. I could never price my work because I grew up with very little money, and I felt art catered to the wealthy. I also could not believe my work was worth much because I knew people who were better than I and if I were not the best, how could I expect to sell it? I also do not like to haggle. My career in Art was doomed. :lol:

I love the smell of oil paint in the morning.