Need a head count -How many Aspies/AS people unemployed?

Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 5:54 pm

^^^

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

I need to find a job, I feel like I am going crazy and wasting my life not working..

So I am taking classes for the Journeyman Electrician License here in Massachusetts but I have no experience in the field so how do I find an apprentice position which is necessary to sit for the exam (you need 4000 hours work experience). Seems like it is assumed that you already have the experience or are currently working in the field if you are enrolled in the program.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 4:18 am

Go to the Local International Brotherhood of Electrical Works in Boston. Ask for information about their Electrical Apprenticeship program. If you enroll in an Apprenticeship program through the National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee you should get all your On the Job Training hours in the 5 years it takes to complete the program. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the amount of work available for Journey Wireman ATM. The last 4 years have been very bad in my Local.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 8:15 am

itsthedrewshow wrote:
I'm unemployed. (I've been unemployed since 2007 and I'm on SSI.)

I've read reports that over 75% of people with Asperger's are unemployed, which is a scary statistic.

Well, I've been told over and over again by "experts" that being steadily employed means you can't have Aspergers :roll: . As for me, I've worked all but two weeks since I was 16 but I have consistently been employed WELL below my skills and abilities. I like my current job and make a respectable amount for what it essentially minimum wage work but I have so many talents that go unrecognized. It was a NIGHTMARE trying to find a decent job (i.e. not minimum wage) and took over three full years after graduating from University.

What really pissed me off was when I sought help from anywhere I could before my current job and got the same two answers back "you should feel lucky to have a job at all" and "You have a university degree. You can find your own job and don't need assistance there are so many jobs for you." I was also told that I must be "lazy and unmotivated" to not have a career given my high intelligence :x

I should also point out of the two "decent" jobs I got neither had a one on one interview. In fact, one had FIVE people interviewing me and that worked out great for 'ol Aspie me! The other two jobs I probably got because I was probably the only candidate without a criminal record or on drugs.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:49 am

Been unemployed since June 2010.

Been actively looking for a job since spring 2011.

Applied for a few jobs, but no interviews.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2013, 9:38 am

I've always been able to find work, but have also been perpetually underemployed. I feel like if I could function like an NT, I'd get raises and promotions more often. I don't usually get fired out of a strong preference to avoid conflict, but I have been, and it was horrible.

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

Unemployed, but having been trying to find employment since 2009. I have had a couple of short temporary jobs during this time. During the middle of the decade I worked as a funded grad assistant (Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant), though it was given because I was in a graduate program.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm

I'm unemployed and have had no previous employment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I'm unemployed and have had no previous employment.

as long as you are financially solvent, that is an ok thing.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 9:56 am

I'm unemployed

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

aside from the sustenance one gets from a regular paycheck, the ratrace is no great shakes.

sppp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2013, 6:26 pm

I offer for you OP, another head for counting.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 7:38 pm

unemployed

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 7:49 pm

somebody out there who needs maybe an heirloom audio recording of their deceased beloved relative or maybe a much-wanted remastering of a nice old LP or 78, PLEASE HIRE ME! [digital audio restoration]

glow
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:31 am

I'm unemployed but not by recommendation - its not a choice lifestyle is what I mean

RComplex
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm

Recently fired and now unemployed for the last 7 hours and counting.