Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 240
Location: West Coast, USA

09 Jun 2013, 12:23 am

Apparently the "tar sands oil" pipelines now take up 15%! !! of Alberta, Canada. The videos of the forrests and land before and the destruction after are shocking. There are petitions one can sign to keeo the Keystone pipeline from being constructed, which would cut its way through America, northern. to southern border. I strongly encourage everyone to spread awareness of the importance of not annihilating mother earth in this way.



dajand8
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 108

09 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

Thank you for such an important post!



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

09 Jun 2013, 1:24 am

if we don't take the oil, the Chinese would be only too happy to accept it. if the pipeline is not built, the oil will still be transported in other ways to other end users. Canada is going to do what it will do with their oil.



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,284
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Jun 2013, 1:42 am

The alternative to the pipeline is bringing the oil down to the Gulf via trucks, rail, or ship which are way more potentially damaging to the environment and cost more.



AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Near the Delaware River

09 Jun 2013, 9:44 am

I could ask what the Keystone XL pipeline has to do with the tar sands, but I do know the answer.

Canada, by pretty much any standard, has a functioning democratic government, with a high quality of life. They have shown the ability and willpower to effectively regulate production from alternative oil sources.

I think having the US State Department, who has for decades fanatically supported oil-producing dictatorships, block the Keystone XL pipeline would be a joke if it was'nt so serious.


_________________
Our first challenge is to create an entire economic infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Firaxis Games)


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

09 Jun 2013, 9:46 am

When tar oil keeps you warm in the winter you won't think it is so evil.

There is enough there for 250 years. That will buy us time to construct more long term solution.

Good bye oil shortage. Good by peak oil. Tar oil and and natural gas will keep us chugging for a while.

ruveyn



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,331
Location: Aux Arcs

09 Jun 2013, 9:52 am

They are fracking for natural gas here and it's polluting people's wells and causing earthquakes.All my dry wall is cracked from the fracking fracking.Watch the doc Gasland.
This makes me nervous since I am surrounded by shale deposits.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,808
Location: Washington, D.C.

09 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

Why does the Gulf need to import oil? It has its own oil.


_________________
Impermanence.


AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Near the Delaware River

09 Jun 2013, 11:04 am

justkillingtime wrote:
Why does the Gulf need to import oil? It has its own oil.


The Gulf of Mexico? Because a huge amount of the US refining capacity is sitting around the GoM, and because it's much easier to ship out to the US Northeast from there.

It makes very little sense to re-create several billion (if not tens of billions) dollars of refining and distributing infrastructure somewhere else.


_________________
Our first challenge is to create an entire economic infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Firaxis Games)


MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,644

09 Jun 2013, 11:09 am

ruveyn wrote:
When tar oil keeps you warm in the winter you won't think it is so evil.

There is enough there for 250 years. That will buy us time to construct more long term solution.

Good bye oil shortage. Good by peak oil. Tar oil and and natural gas will keep us chugging for a while.

ruveyn


As long as the work towards long term solutions aren't put in hiatus until supplies get low again, because it's not "cost efficient". As Misslizard mentioned, there also seems to be a disregard to people negatively affected by fracking in their area. I was just reading that many nuclear reactors are simply being shut down instead of effectively fixed, because it doesn't pay to when natural gas is so cheap and plentiful.



justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,808
Location: Washington, D.C.

09 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

Thanks, AgentPalpatine. Nicely explained.


_________________
Impermanence.


dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 240
Location: West Coast, USA

10 Jun 2013, 12:08 am

Seriously, look at the before and after pics online. 15% of alberta is covered with these pipes. They are not just underground because of being pipes. Overground all you see for miles and miles is gray ugly pipes. No more nature at all. No more mountains or trees. I know a lot about keeping warm. I've lived outside for three years off and on homeless. Its called build a fire, get a survival handbook. use thermals. this works indoors too, btw. heh. This is a move of greed to build these things. They DO cause earthquakes. Oil leaks into lawns roads and wildlife preserves and lakes. Its like theGulf coast oil spill except multiplyed in vastness and on land. Its greed. Destroying the planet for easy modernized conviences.

Think about where things come from. Could you survive on your own? Or are you dependent on wealthy regime-fashioned companies to make your decisions for you.

Imagine waking up in a house in California, for instance, where some of this is being done already.... and the sky is bright toxic orange from pollution and your view our the window is haze and decimation and black and gray industrial landscaping. And you open that window and ypu don't year birds or smell fresh air. Instead you see birds dripping in oil and smell fumes.

Imagine global warming severely magnified. Common sense: this degree of decimation is taking a toll on the planet. The forrest are like the lungs of the Earth, providing oxygen and life.

Think. Conviences... or health. Just because another company might do the same thing doesn't make it fine.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,657
Location: the island of defective toy santas

10 Jun 2013, 12:21 am

overpopulation is the crazy aunt in the basement that nobody wants to talk about, to borrow from ross perot. all these billions of people are energy consumers of one kind or another.



dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 240
Location: West Coast, USA

10 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

Well, i can agree with u on that one: overpopulation. To put it lightly, i tend to be more of an activist for mother Earth than for peoples. Without a healthy Earth quality of life and the future of life = fail.


_________________
Seeing beyond the 3rd Dimension.


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

10 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

dinetahrisingsun wrote:
Seriously, look at the before and after pics online. 15% of alberta is covered with these pipes. They are not just underground because of being pipes. Overground all you see for miles and miles is gray ugly pipes. No more nature at all. No more mountains or trees. I know a lot about keeping warm. I've lived outside for three years off and on homeless. Its called build a fire, get a survival handbook. use thermals. this works indoors too, btw. heh. This is a move of greed to build these things. They DO cause earthquakes. Oil leaks into lawns roads and wildlife preserves and lakes. Its like theGulf coast oil spill except multiplyed in vastness and on land. Its greed. Destroying the planet for easy modernized conviences.

Think about where things come from. Could you survive on your own? Or are you dependent on wealthy regime-fashioned companies to make your decisions for you.

Imagine waking up in a house in California, for instance, where some of this is being done already.... and the sky is bright toxic orange from pollution and your view our the window is haze and decimation and black and gray industrial landscaping. And you open that window and ypu don't year birds or smell fresh air. Instead you see birds dripping in oil and smell fumes.

Imagine global warming severely magnified. Common sense: this degree of decimation is taking a toll on the planet. The forrest are like the lungs of the Earth, providing oxygen and life.

Think. Conviences... or health. Just because another company might do the same thing doesn't make it fine.


Those "grey, ugly pipes" carry what keeps people warm in the winter, what makes plastics and medicine, what transports our goods and what makes our services deliverable, what gives us light in the dark and what keeps our computers running.. Apparently you have a problem with Prosperity. O.K.. Just wait until we have Poverty. That will change your mind.

ruveyn



AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Near the Delaware River

10 Jun 2013, 11:15 am

dinetahrisingsun wrote:
Seriously, look at the before and after pics online. 15% of alberta is covered with these pipes. They are not just underground because of being pipes. Overground all you see for miles and miles is gray ugly pipes. No more nature at all. No more mountains or trees. I know a lot about keeping warm. I've lived outside for three years off and on homeless. Its called build a fire, get a survival handbook. use thermals. this works indoors too, btw. heh. This is a move of greed to build these things. They DO cause earthquakes. Oil leaks into lawns roads and wildlife preserves and lakes. Its like theGulf coast oil spill except multiplyed in vastness and on land. Its greed. Destroying the planet for easy modernized conviences.

Think about where things come from. Could you survive on your own? Or are you dependent on wealthy regime-fashioned companies to make your decisions for you.

Imagine waking up in a house in California, for instance, where some of this is being done already.... and the sky is bright toxic orange from pollution and your view our the window is haze and decimation and black and gray industrial landscaping. And you open that window and ypu don't year birds or smell fresh air. Instead you see birds dripping in oil and smell fumes.

Imagine global warming severely magnified. Common sense: this degree of decimation is taking a toll on the planet. The forrest are like the lungs of the Earth, providing oxygen and life.

Think. Conviences... or health. Just because another company might do the same thing doesn't make it fine.


Leaving aside the negative comments towards companies, should'nt you be taking this issue up with the Canadian and/or Alberta government?

Also, what's the difference between a fire (consumes fuel and puts out CO2) and fossil fuel production (consumes fuel and puts out CO2)?


_________________
Our first challenge is to create an entire economic infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Firaxis Games)