My son doesn't laugh when others laugh - Theory of Mind

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 10:44 am

InThisTogether wrote:
b9 wrote:
my doctor said to my parents when i was a child, that my emotional development would never exceed the emotional development of an average 14.5 year old boy.

Out of curiosity, do you agree?

no. i would have agreed with 14.6 however.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
I don't understand. If one doesn't find something funny and everyone else does why would this one person laugh just because everyone else laughed. I don't follow.

The key to understanding this video is that no one else knows why the first guy is laughing. There's nothing specific for them to find funny or unfunny, and they don't feel they are "supposed" to be laughing. Just seeing him laugh triggers mirror neurons in the bystanders brains, causing them to feel the urge to laugh. The more people who are laughing, the stronger those mirror neurons are triggered, causing additional people to start laughing. It becomes a positive feedback loop.

I don't think this is a Theory of Mind example -- none of the bystanders know what is causing he first man to laugh. I think this is a good example of mirror neurons at work. (Mirror neurons help you imitate the physical actions or experience the same emotional state as another person.) I'm under the impression that mirror neurons are thought to be impacted by autism. Maybe one of the research-oriented folks here could give more details.

Cubedemon -- I think you're right that social contagion of emotions (which likely involves the mirror neurons) is one reason that NT Americans place such a high value on displaying a positive attitude.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

I don't really see what it would have to do with theory of mind(though admittedly I am still rather confused on what exactly that refers to)...perhaps he just didn't see the humour in it and wouldn't have even if he were neurotypical. I could see myself not laughing at something like that but do not think its weird.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

I vaguely remember going thru this too, as a kid.

Guess people's humor based on a neurotypical perspective, is mighty bland.

Not all, but some.