Wut is wrld recrd 4 time spnt 2 srch 4 job b4 lnding 1?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 6:06 am

DUE TO A HIGHLY CONSTRICTIVE SUBJECT CHARACTER LIMIT , the full title is: "What is the world record for the time spent to search for a job before finally landing one?"

I am starting to feel more and more hopeless in the general job search situation. When I've not worked at any place for more than 5 months and some days, the short times at each job makes me feel like I have a criminal record. They want people who've stayed at a job for long enough, the length of which varies.

Since I'm looking for college level jobs, I'm thinking of getting rid of the fast food and dishroom histories on my resume, even though the 5+ month job was the fast food. I don't know if that'll be a good decision. Please provide your input regarding this. I will however, refill the resume space with volunteer work, although they weren't so long either (not because of the same reasons as the other jobs, but because the volunteer trips couldn't be any longer; it was the same duration for everyone else on these volunteer trips.)

(subject 1, paragraph 1) Moreover, some say on the Internet that it's a good idea to disclose the disorder during the job interview or before it. I didn't think so after sometime in July 2004, when I tried getting a job at a place called "Alorica", they didn't offer the job so in a last-ditch attempt to change their mind and win it over, I disclosed that I had Asperger's. I also happened to have a manila folder with a birth certificate (copy), other documentation, copies of resumes, and an old school "I.E.P." documentation about the disorder. Then I explained that might be how I didn't do as well on the interview as they hoped, but that people with Asperger's often are savvy in technological areas. They said thank you, we'll review the documentation and so on.

(subject 1, paragraph 2 due to need for text splits) Later, I got to come in and have a talk with one of the other managers. I was the most nervous because I didn't want to say ANYTHING that would even most slightly turn her off, so I believe I was -too- cautious. She eventually verbally highlighted reasonable accommodation, and said that someone else would have to watch me to make sure I did everything right so it would be like hiring two people. In my bottled anger, I tried refuting her claim, because I thought that was just a poor baggage of an excuse to not hire me. She suggested a dishroom job at a college residence hall dining center because other autistics were there, but I already knew such a job would be lousy and it paid $1 less per hour than Alorica did. ($7 at Alorica at the time.) I couldn't throw a fit like I would have if I were in a similar situation 10 years prior because I was too old to.

(subject 1, paragraph 3) Next, I sat on a bench just outside the Alorica entrance and called the 700 Club, asked, "Is God on vacation? Now tell me, is God on Vacation??!" (It was SUMMER, after all.), and prayed to get a suitable job.

(different subject now) Later, I attended a "Western Wireless/Cellular One" job fair, and when, after a tour, they looked me up, they told me I applied with them in May, and on June 14th, "based on what you told us, you were declined." I tried asking why, and they said it was confidential. Then I thought, "WELL, WHAT IF IT WAS BECAUSE OF MY RACE!? TOO CONVENIENT TO KEEP THAT CONFIDENTIAL!" (Being 1/2 white, 1/2 oriental, I doubt this. Knowing why I was declined would certainly help me not repeat the same mistake elsewhere. Therefore, there was a 6-month waiting period for declined applicants. Then I thought, "Someone might lose their apartment, their car, any of whatever they hold dear in 6 months, as well as their credit standing. Why such a long wait?" I didn't want to share my thoughts because it would get worse, but how specifically, I wasn't going to find out.

In both times, I wish I had a reliable digital camera so I could show them the place I used to live in (from June 2004 to January 2005). It was so squalid, and given to me free by my parents since they owned an apartment business until circa November 2005, I felt so insulted living there. Looking back, I wish I'd have hiked to San Diego (all the way from KS) to live with an uncle there. He's an airport spokesman so for all I know, I could've been a steward and travel all over the world. Whether showing those pictures of the old apartment would've garnered enough sympathy for them to hire me, I don't know.

For the eventual 5+ month job, I'll post on a different thread.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 5:33 pm

At least someone could answer the original question, right? Or does nobody know? If this record isn't registered on Guinness World Records, someone could submit it here: http://guinnessworldrecords.com/register/login.aspx

But my other question is: Should I get rid of my fast-food and dishroom job histories on my resume (and perhaps replace them with volunteer work?) (Refer to 3rd paragraph.)