Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Wycca
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm

I've been having pain in the back of my ankle around my achilles tendon for almost a year now. It's worse it gets to the point that after walking for a little while sometimes as little as 5 minutes will cause it to flare up to the point that I can barely put weight on it. It gets better when I sit down but when I try to move it I can feel that it's tightened up and if I try to stand again it's back to square one. Most of the time I don't even have to walk I can just sit for a while and when I move to get up I can feel that pain again and it hurts just as bad as it does after I've been walking all day.

So far my attempts at asking my parents to take me somewhere to get it looked at have fallen on deaf ears so I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this might be, and any ideas on how to convince my parents that I probably need to get this looked at just it case it progresses into something worse? Also any advice on what I could do in the meantime other than wearing a brace at work and icing it when I get home?

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

If you work out on a daily basis or often, this might have been what have caused you to develop this pain in your ankle. Also chances are you have managed to step in a unfortunate position with your foot, then straining the nerves inside you ankle. (Still, remember that your feet/ankles carries through with a lot of hard work even during a normal day - they absorb impact from the substrate, carry your body weight and converts the power from your body into effective movement in any direction.)

If neither of the examples above sound like a possible cause, you should definitely consider getting it checked. No let me correct that, you should get it checked period - considering the fact that you've had these pains a year, if you for example have inflammation of some sort in your ankle, not getting this checked can make it worse, or even lead to developing other chronic pains. Most likely it's nothing serious, but you should without a doubt get it checked, so that you can get the proper treatment, customized to your pains/condition. By then getting a thoroughly analysis of your feet/ankles by a professional, they can find out exactly where in your ankle area the malfunction is. Based on this, they can correct the function of your ankle and foot, customize exercises that can help normalizing it's function and maybe evaluate whether or not a type of shoe sole might be a necessary aid for you to use in order to achieve/regain optimal function back in your foot.

Meanwhile, there are a few things you can try that might help reduce the pain you experience:

- Buy a type pain relieving Ice gel. This is a gel that many people, even those that do professional sports use to cool their feet down after days not so kind to their feet, or just as a relaxer even. These usually have a nice minty smell to them (so you won't have to worry about them making you smell bad), as well as the gel also gets your feet to relax, cool down, and thus make the pain less noticeable. (You can get this gel at the pharmacy)

- Compression with an elastic bandage (This is also available at the pharmacy)

- Whenever the opportunity arrives, give you feet a chance to relax - try sitting down with your feet resting on something for a little while, at least a few times a day.

- Keep your foot raised for a while, especially days when the pain is at it's worse

(These treatments as i mentioned earlier can help dampen the swelling and reduce the pain. When the worst pain and swelling is gone, you should get back up and gradually let your foot adjust to being in motion/"under pressure" again)

Hope you'll get better soon :) Good luck

Wycca

19 Jun 2013, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice ChromaticRaven. I've been doing most of those things since this started. The thing that worries me about this is that it likes to flare up as bad on days when the only exercise I get is going from the computer to the bathroom. My dad has a bad history of bone spurs in his feet that doctors haven't done much to help actually scratch that he won't let them help him, but I think that's one of the reasons I'm having trouble convincing them that I'm not making this up. History has shown them that they won't do anything for this so why waste that kind of time and money.

I've just started working a new job a little while ago after being off work and I noticed today that when I was getting things out of the walk in freezer that it stopped hurting almost completely so I'm thinking that it might be inflammation since the cold helped it out so much. The pain's growing as well since I started work its moved from the back of my ankle down into my heel and up into my calf.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

Do you have gout maybe?

I don't, so I don't personally know how it works, but my buddy at work does and the way he describes it is pretty similar to your explanation. Might be worth looking into.

Also I feel you on the ankle trouble. I blew my left ankle out horribly playing hoops 5 or so years ago, completely snapped the cross tendon that goes like from the inside upper leg down to the outside ankle. Until the 3rd or 4th one I saw about it, doctors straight up didn't believe me when I told them that I both felt and heard it snap and they just said it was a severe sprain.

It doesn't usually hurt, but it buckles if I step on anything that's not level because I didn't have surgery on it and as a result that tendon is just no longer there. Sucks.