Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm

It's possibly an example of memorization and scripting many of us use to manage speech.

krampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm

I used to do this all the time. Most people find it strange and a big turn off. Quoting movies or TV is only appropriate if you've both seen it together and know the context. For example, my toddler took something and refused to share. I joked to my wife that our girl was "paying the iron price" in reference to Game of Thrones which we are both fans of. I could do this all day. I'm good at finding connections and comparing things. Movies are like another language to me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm

Do you use them conversationally? I mean, rather than trying to be obviously quoting, just picking a phrase and using it where appropriate?

This is what I often do. I'd never make a referential quote like "paying the iron price" but I might say "you know nothing,<name>" in response to a statement I perceive as ignorant and wrong.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

Adamantium wrote:
animalcrackers wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
These things are a little situational, but nothing like echolalia at all--because they are precisely meaningful in context.

Precisely meaningful as opposed to what?

As opposed to not having any particular contextual meaning as in echolalia--which is, as I understand it, an automatic repetition of a word or phrase without any particular meaning in context.

Without any particular meaning in context to the speaker, to the listener or both? Without any generally-agreed-upon meaning in context (i.e not idiosyncratic vs. idiosyncratic)?

My echolalic words are only sometimes without meaning; I will use contextually appropriate words that I don't understand for the purpose of participating in a conversation. When I was a kid I would constantly repeat what other people said to me as part of processing words.

Usually, my echolalic words have a specific meaning I'm trying to get across...I'm just borrowing words because I can't come up with any of my own. Sometimes the words might not seem contextually appropriate, but their meaning is.

Some kids (and adults, too, probably) will repeat back an entire question in order to answer it -- despite being unusual and seeming automatic and meaningless, their echolalic speech is deliberate and meaningful. And I know I'm not the only one who uses delayed echolalia in contextually meaningful ways, because of what my psychologist has told me about it and because of reading the article I posted a link to and quoted above.

Trying to understand the difference between your type of quoting and delayed echolalia: Are your movie quotes more like an inside joke, where you quote stuff for fun or enjoyment or ease rather than out of necessity?

Love transcends all.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 12:56 am

Quote:
"There's a more recent but less relevant example because it wasn't just repetition. The person actually said something along the lines "this is like that time in the Simpsons when...". In my opinion the latter example sounds more Aspie-ish than the first one. The person making the reference in the first example knows the show is iconic enough that most people will get it. He doesn't need to say every word of what he means exactly he just needs to say the phrase and people get it. The second example has the unnecessary precision and literalness of an Aspie."

This fits me to a tee. I quote stuff constantly, but it's not just throwing out something like "Ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!" (O Brother Where Art Thou? in case you don't know). I'm always saying "I remember hearing in a movie once..." or "I saw this comedian who said...". It's always appropriate in that the reference fits the conversation at hand.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 1:05 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I have this thing, where, it's not exactly echolalia because the things I'm repeating are actually relevant to the topic of conversation into which I'm inserting them at the time, and I'm saying them deliberately and not in a stimming kind of way, but I frequently repeat lines, dialogue, occasionally whole paragraphs from movies and TV shows. The most common one I draw from right now is The Big Bang Theory, though I'll repeat things from almost anything if the line seems relevant. Mostly I do it because it's a tangible example of what I or someone else is talking about, and it's easier to grasp if I put it in a different perspective, although sometimes when I'm alone, I'll just repeat random phrases to myself because I find them funny or appealing (which might be considered closer to echolalia). Just how common is this in the aspie community? I've read several fiction books in which the main character with AS did this too for one reason or another. Anybody else here do it?

Yes. Very yes.

In fact, the above line was a reference to a Homestar Runner cartoon.

I can often work lines from movies, TV shows, or other videos I've seen into conversation, and do so with ease. Other times, something will remind me of a line from a TV show or something and I'll quote a line or an entire scene. Still other times, I'll do as you do and repeat them to myself for no apparent reason other than because I find them amusing. There are a few things I sometimes say almost automatically, though, and without any regard to the context.

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2013, 3:00 am

My partner and I have developed a whole language and communication based on quotes from films and series - he's an aspie (diagnosed not maverick like me - we say he got it for both of us it saved time) so we understand each other while any others present look totally bemused :twisted:

Arthur Rimbaud.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 5:16 am

I use movie/TV quotes (and sometimes situations) all the time! Sometimes I'll share them if they feel relevant, but it's just as often for my benefit only...
Sometimes I think that understanding how what is said/done in a movie/TV show effects the plot helps me to recognize the effect of what people say/do in effect real life!

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

NEtikiman wrote:
I use movie/TV quotes (and sometimes situations) all the time! Sometimes I'll share them if they feel relevant, but it's just as often for my benefit only...
Sometimes I think that understanding how what is said/done in a movie/TV show effects the plot helps me to recognize the effect of what people say/do in effect real life!

I wonder if there are two issues: using movie/TV/book quotes to express yourself and using them as a frame of reference to interpret what you encounter.

Sometimes it is just a thought. When I am trying to get from one place to another and avoid people, I think of the scene in "Poltergeist" when the family is trying to get in their car to escape. They are desperately trying to get the key in the car door. I think of that when I am trying to get in a door to escape talking to people.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2013, 2:37 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I also have a tendency to repeat random phrases with no context, usually when I'm alone. For a long time, one phrase I'd repeat often was "it's about power" which is from the start of Buffy's sixth season.

I do this too! Whenever I'm on my own I'm saying phrases and imagining scenes, with favourites I repeat a lot. I do sound effects sometimes if it's something dramatic.

In conversation with others I use quotes from movies and books where I think they're appropriate, although a lot of the time people don't get them or realise I've done it and so just look at me strangely. They're useful because they help me articulate something, such as a thought or emotion, without having to work out how to say it myself.

Does anyone else think this is related to the compulsion to give factual information on topics related to the conversation?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 7:20 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
I have this thing, where, it's not exactly echolalia because the things I'm repeating are actually relevant to the topic of conversation into which I'm inserting them at the time, and I'm saying them deliberately and not in a stimming kind of way, but I frequently repeat lines, dialogue, occasionally whole paragraphs from movies and TV shows.

I borrow words from books, movies, tv, and other people and my psychologist told me it was delayed echolalia. I'm not sure if there's a difference between your word-borrowing and mine, though...

Echolalic speech (immediate and delayed) can have a variety of functions beyond stimming. It's a misconception that echolalic words never fit the situation or never have deliberate communicative/interactive purpose. (Sometimes they don't, of course, but sometimes they do.)

Link to article and chart "Functional Categories of Delayed Echolalia": http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/?pageId=534

Writers of above article/chart wrote:
Delayed echolalia is the repetition of verbal messages that were previously heard and which are repeated after a time delay of a few minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years. It is sometimes more difficult to recognize delayed echolalia since the listener (the one to whom an interactive delayed echolalic message is directed) may not have been present when the original utterance or model message was uttered or, if present, the person may have forgotten. Unless the echoed message is significantly different in vocabulary, syntax, and message sophistication than the echolalic speaker's creative spontaneous speech, the naive listener may not recognize an utterance as echolalic. This may be particularly true of situations when the echoed message is dialogue that seems to fit a current moment or situation. [...]

Huh, that's interesting animalcrackers, I guess I always associated echolalia with more severe autism and younger kids, where the repetition, while having particular meaning to the speaker, was effectively meaningless to the listener. I'll do some more research on this, it's something to ponder. I really didn't start doing it til I was around 12 or 13, and not frequently til rather recently, maybe a year or so ago.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 7:25 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Do you use them conversationally? I mean, rather than trying to be obviously quoting, just picking a phrase and using it where appropriate?

This is what I often do. I'd never make a referential quote like "paying the iron price" but I might say "you know nothing,<name>" in response to a statement I perceive as ignorant and wrong.

Mm, sort of, I use them in the midst of a conversation, someone will say something and my brain will connect it with a TV quote, which I'll then repeat, then continue with my side of the conversation, or let the other person have their turn. It's added as seamlessly as if the quote were my own, but it's usually fairly obvious when I'm doing it, especially when the quote references other characters by name. By the way, what does "paying the iron price" mean? Is it a reference specifically to Game of Thrones, or does it have a more common usage?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 8:07 pm

This is very common among people on the spectrum. It's about control, sameness, and predictability...it's soothing in a way to hear something the same way over and over.

I did this constantly as a kid, but up until age 8-9 or so I stopped working it into my regular conversations because I realized it wasn't appropriate, so I did it in private until my teens. :P The main girl I mentor does this quite a lot...she has lessened this over time, but she's 22 and still quotes lines from kids TV shows, complete with actions, voices and precise dialogue.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 8:21 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Mm, sort of, I use them in the midst of a conversation, someone will say something and my brain will connect it with a TV quote, which I'll then repeat, then continue with my side of the conversation, or let the other person have their turn. It's added as seamlessly as if the quote were my own, but it's usually fairly obvious when I'm doing it, especially when the quote references other characters by name. By the way, what does "paying the iron price" mean? Is it a reference specifically to Game of Thrones, or does it have a more common usage?

Paying the iron price is from the Iron Islanders in Game of Thrones. It's contrasted with paying the gold price.

Paying the gold price is buying something, and not a worthy or lofty thing to Iron Islanders. Paying the iron price is killing someone and taking it, and is considered a manly thing to do. When Theon Greyjoy returned home to his father to request he join his forces with Robb Stark, his father mocked him for wearing jewelry and clothing he had gained via gold instead of iron.

That is as much as I know.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

I actively stop myself from watching any sort of TV (even not Youtube, aside from music videos & live performances), but I often quote other people word-for-word in my conversations. I guess I channel this need to quote by bringing up various rote facts a lot.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

NTs use "delayed echolalia" too - it is even considered clever if enough other people do it and are aware of the source. They seem to place more importance on bonding ("we are all part of the same culture!") and the context (maybe due to differences in humor).
Just look at the comments to this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJLhRGPv-M[/youtube]
How ab/normal it is perceived depends on the amount of people that do it, the frequency and the context.
It's a cultural/meme thing. Autistics create our own personal culture/memes.
It plays a role in the learning of language for NTs too - they effortlessly and automatically pick up frequently used words, slang and dialects from their immediate surroundings, which could be considered a form of "delayed echolalia". Politeness, which NTs are always praised for, is quotes/scripts they have learned (and perform) automatically.

I realize most people already know this, but echolalia is often mentioned like this very odd mega-autistic thing.