If 1 day with someone who isn't alive any longer - who?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2013, 5:15 pm

You get the opportunity to meet any person of your own choice - any person who is no longer alive you may meet by travelling back to the time when they still lived. (Whether it's a family member, a famous person - you name it)
And you get to choose which year. The downside is you only have 24 hours, before then being sent back to your own era again.

Who would you choose to meet?

Which year would you travel back to?

And, what would you like to do?

(If you only feel like answering one of the questions above that's fine to)

Last edited by ChromaticRaven on 23 Jun 2013, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

Spend a day with my grandmother when I was about 11. We'd spend a Saturday going to garage sales, then stop somewhere for lunch, then to her house, and draw, watch Tv, joke, talk, and I'd ask her about her ancestors and family and ask to see her photo box and ask who everyone in it was. I'd ask her to pencil their names on the back of each photo, and any info or date she remembered, if she could.

I'd get out my old cassette recorder, that I had then, and tape her making up a story off of the top of her head. We'd laugh during that. At night, we'd go for a ride in her old car, with the windows down, enjoying the cool breeze. Then, back home, maybe watch a little Tv and to sleep.

You never know what you have until you lose it.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 6:45 pm

I would like to meet my grandfather (on my mother's side). He passed away a year before I was born, so I never actually met him. I'll probably travel to the summer of 1980 (a few years before he died) and we would go to a baseball game together, as he played baseball when he was a teenager. If there is plenty of time left in the day, I would also like to go fishing with him, as well.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

My paternal grandfather. He smoked anywhere between 50 and 60 cigarettes a day (!) and still lived to be 84--so at least he didn't die until shortly before my 22. birthday. I have many fond memories on how we built snow huts back when I was 5 and I still remember his sense of humor. :)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

My paternal grandfather, too. Which year? Difficult to decide. It'd be interesting to see what he was like in his 20's or something. I'd just like to talk with him. He was a very kind-hearted person.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm

Just the first part. Bill Hicks.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

My paternal grandfather, too. Funny that others have had the same answer. I'd just like to be able to apologize for some things and ask him for advice.

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

I would like to visit my grandma again to about when I was 6-7. We would go to a shopping mall, walk around and talk. She would buy me some ice cream and then we go back to her home. We would talk, watch TV and she would cook me some food.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Baruch Spinoza.
Talk with him.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:30 pm

There's a tough question! I think I'd have to say Jesus though. I am a Christian, but regardless of your religious beliefs he was one of the most (if not the most) influential people in modern human history. Not to mention it'd be cool to see the whole walking-on-water thing for myself lol.

A close runner-up would be Gustav Mahler, and maybe a prehistoric person from like 80,000 years ago just to see what they were really like and how they lived.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Jesus of Nazareth, on the day of His crucifixion.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

25 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

Well...unsurprisingly, Kurt Cobain. In Seattle, in the late summer of 1991, before Nevermind came out, during a smack-free interval (he didn't take it all the time back then) and when his stomach wasn't playing up. I'd like to just bum around town with him and go thrift store shopping, then go back to whatever friend's apartment he was crashing at, eat pizza, drink beer, play guitar with him, and talk..

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm

If it were to really happen that I was given this opportunity, I would probably give serious consideration to spending time with a grandparent I knew.

But...let me have some fun with this one...

Who would you choose to meet?
Harry Baker, the roller coaster designer and builder who built the Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster in 1927.

Which year would you travel back to?
April 12, 1928 to be exact.

And, what would you like to do?
I would show him the unsigned original linen cloth roller coaster blueprint I have for a roller coaster that was never built. I suspect he was the designer. I would ask him if this was his design. The blueprint is dated April 12, 1928.

In real life, this blueprint has puzzled me. I have often sought the answer as to who designed this roller coaster for which I have the only known blueprint of it in existence. It was never built. It would have been an incredibly severe, intense, and wild ride that would have been of the class of the most violent rides ever built.

SilentDaydreamer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2013, 2:42 am

Spend a day with somebody, it would have to be somebody who we have never forgotten, during the late May/early June in 2013, our beloved art teacher, who I shall go by the name of Mr T. Sadly passed away...I know this may not fit in with the chosen topic that well but to be able to just see him that one last time...it's that bad I cannot even remember the memories I had with him...

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 8:28 am

My father, who was killed in the Vietnam war when I was just a baby.

myn22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2013, 10:38 am

Erik Satie, Beethoven, Nikola Tesla