Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 7:49 am

I'm not sure how to word it, but i'll give it a go. Basically feel like all the time I am left alone, I have time to think and when I have time to think I often get into a mess of worrying, stressing, and making myself ill.

How should I try to overcome this? Obviously I cannot be with someone at every given moment of the day :/

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2013, 7:53 am

Oh, I thought you'd go into a break everything that ticks you off fit like what happens to me when I think tooooooo much, if that was possible right now.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 7:59 am

Any hobbies or distractions that might help fill the time? When I find myself thinking too much or worrying about something, I dive into something that absorbs all my attention.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:02 am

Popsicle wrote:
Any hobbies or distractions that might help fill the time? When I find myself thinking too much or worrying about something, I dive into something that absorbs all my attention.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, only I would add to try to be proactive about it. If you know that you are going to be left alone, prepare yourself by having some special interest-related activity ready to go!

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 8:34 am

theshawngorton wrote:
Oh, I thought you'd go into a break everything that ticks you off fit like what happens to me when I think tooooooo much, if that was possible right now.

That's no uncommon for me actually, however I would have to be really annoyed by something. Often throwing things is what i'd do, but not to harm anyone.

NEtikiman wrote:
Popsicle wrote:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, only I would add to try to be proactive about it. If you know that you are going to be left alone, prepare yourself by having some special interest-related activity ready to go!

I try to have as many hobbies as I can, so I know there is always something to keep my mind occupied. When I begin this thinking too deep into everything phase, it goes so far and then I lose motivation to do anything and become in a bad mood rather fast. What sort of thing does everyone else do when they are in a similar situation? I would love to be able to battle this and win for once

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:46 am

Could you go for a walk or a run or do some other kind of exercise? This can really help improve mood and distract you from what's bothering you.

I do have other suggestions, but this post would have to be in the adult section to give them... :lol:

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 8:51 am

hahahaha actually made me laugh!

Tbh I only found out yesterday that going for a walk helps, just that when im in a bad mood i hate the idea of people talking to me at all.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

Do you have headphones?
When I was unemployed I used to walk a ludicrous amount with my headphones on... no one really bothered me (to be fair, I do live in a fairly rural area...)

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 8:57 am

thats actually a great idea, thanks a lot! :)

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm

I can't go for more than 30 minutes without either doing something or sleeping. If I have my Clomipramine I'm a little better but I struggle to fill my schedule so I have no free time left. I can't stand free time. There's a whole in my wall that's evidence of me having too much free time. I've thought about occupying myself but it's hard to stay occupied 24/7. The first problem is that sooner or later I'm going to run out of things to do and the second problem is that it's exhausting. I have to choose between being exhausted and freaking out to the point of breaking things. I can't afford to rest unless I sleep. Sleeping pills are a life saver.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

Daveytn wrote:
I'm not sure how to word it, but i'll give it a go. Basically feel like all the time I am left alone, I have time to think and when I have time to think I often get into a mess of worrying, stressing, and making myself ill.

How should I try to overcome this? Obviously I cannot be with someone at every given moment of the day :/

it sounds very well worded because have given an idea of the chain reaction.

at night time [most common time for people being on their own for examples sake] its the time when everyone has selfishly buggered off to bed without thinking of their insomniac bretheren and sisteren,leaving them with no interaction,no people noise and no other distractions created by people to drown out the thinking of every insomniacs mind.
so the mind becomes aware of the fact no one is around, triggers racing thoughts of anxiety, which triggers negative thinking, which starts the vicious cycle again-comes back to the point of being aware no one being around,racing thoughts of anxiety,which triggers negative thinking.

the way to make this problem better,is not medication, but by having a wind down routine every day and building coping skills so have not got so much fuel to give these thoughts.
although its over a different issue,the gp of mine says caffeine shoud not be touched after six pm because it doesnt give the body enough time to get rid of it otherwise, he unfortunately assumes all neurology is the same and has also never read the records of mine which explains that caffeine has a slow down affect on the executive dysfunction,for some people however caffeine worsens anxiety especialy at night so have a think about cutting it out after six pm if are not using it to self medicate.

stop using the computer,gaming,watching tv programs at night time a while before bed,this keeps the brain waves in active mode and fuels the racing thoughts.

look into using slow release melatonin before bed,and try a milky drink such as horlicks.

at other times in the day when are on own,what about doing voluntary work,helping a neighbour out with the things are good at,using skype to speak to others on the spectrum,writing a blog/book/website about the experiences have had being on the spectrum, supporting others on the spectrum with their questions on sites like WP,going to a group for people on the spectrum, going to some club that involves the interests have got etc.

also,its worth registering and trying out the mood gym-its a site which for free,teaches people who especialy have depression and/or anxiety to do CBT on themselves,will not see any of the site bar the crappy homepage until have registered and logged in though-
https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
big mental health charities like MIND have it on their permenent recommendations of websites.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!