Is it stupid to take up an musical instrument as an adult?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 11:54 pm

Someone at work told me it was the dumbest thing they ever heard of when I bought a violin last year. She had never heard of an adult taking up an new instrument. Suffice to say the violin is extremely difficult to learn on one's own. I bought 2 dvds with beginner lessons and can't make heads or tails out of what they are doing. Lessons are extremely expensive so that's out of the question at the moment. But now I find myself obsessed again with the drums. I wanted to play drums ever since the next door neighbor kid joined band in junior high. I used to beg to carry her snare home from school (we used to walk to school together). I once got sent to the principals office for stealing someone else's drumsticks. Yeah I was a weird kid.

I'm just wondering if its stupid for me to buy myself a snare drum when I am in my 30's? I've thought maybe I should just buy one of those drummer's practice pads first. One good thing about being an adult is if you can save the money you can buy whatever instrument you want even if your mom thinks drums are immoral.

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2007, 12:16 am

It's not stupid... not at all. I credit my flute playing for keeping my mind sharp and keeping me occupied. I have been playing flute since my pre-teens, but there is no reason that I can think of that would prevent an adult from picking up this instrument and learning how to play it.

Violin is definately a hard instrument to start off with, I think. I rented one for a month, and like you, I could not make heads of tails of it! I am more of a woodwind person.

As for the drums, it depends on your living accomidations. My brother plays drums, and the poor soul doesn't have the ability to keep in time at all. Anyway, he lives with my Dad and he isn't allowed to play his drums anymore since they moved to a new place.

Instead of buying an instrument, why not try renting an instrument first?

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 12:29 am

There isn't really a music store in town that rents. The one store in town barely has any instruments. Like they have maybe 6 electric guitars as an example. When I took guitar lessons growing up the stores had over 50 guitars. The store in town doesn't have any acoustic drums, they have one set of electric drums. I will have to mail order the drum if I get one unless I see one for sale in newspaper.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 12:46 am

I suggest an easier musical instrument to start out with. Woodwinds are nice... I have recently started playing recorder again (after several years of not playing) and would like to learn how to play clarinet, which a friend of mine said that she could teach me if I wanted to learn and was willing to practice.

Firstly, do you know how to read music? Playing a musical instrument is somewhat more difficult if you don't know how to read music. This is why piano is completely out of the question for me... I can only read treble clef, no matter how hard I try.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 12:57 am

Well I used to know how to read music. I studied guitar for 8 years and bass for 2 yrs. It's just been a while but I'm sure I could remember it if needed. However I don't think drums are written like other music in actual notes.

No offense but I dislike woodwind instruments. I really like drums and most all string instruments. I wouldn't mind an omnichord either if I could find one that was inexpensive.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2007, 1:19 am

Ticker wrote:
Someone at work told me it was the dumbest thing they ever heard of when I bought a violin last year. She had never heard of an adult taking up an new instrument.

Don't listen to her, she give you bad influences.

You can learn to play instrument at all ages, my brother is a guitar teacher and each years he got new students who are 40 and 50 and up.

You can develop a new passion anytime and it don't depend on your age.

Ticker wrote:
I've thought may be I should just buy one of those drummer's practice pads first.

Your neighbours will probably like this option, a snare sound really loud.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:38 am

I don't think it would be stupid at all.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:53 am

Thanks guys. You make me feel better about my obsession at least. If I do get a snare I'll get the rubber practice pad that you put over top of them that serves as a mute. It quiets most of them down a lot. I got several different types of mutes for my violin and the thing is still LOUD.

I'm developing this weird fetish for acrylic drums. I get excited just looking at them. I could become as passionate about this as Cockney and her Routemasters.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:55 am

A violin is no harder than a cello, which I played for years. Play the scales, work up your finger pads, get the music you want to play and have fun.
btdt

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:57 am

Just beautiful...

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 4:05 am

I well I'm learning guitar, I can't tune the thing yet but I've mastered the finger work very quickly I'm got about five chords in a week and twelve notes

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Last edited by Rhisiart_Steffan on 22 Jan 2007, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 7:21 am

I don't think it's stupid, at all. I think it's cool that adults take up the learning of a musical instrument.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2007, 7:57 am

Hell no - its never too late. Don't let anyone discourage you! Frankly your co-worker is the dumb one in this particular case.

I started playing bouzouki in my late 20s - which is a bit younger but anyway it became the instrument I'm most skilled at of all I've played. At 32 now I'm still trying out new instruments all the time.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 10:28 am

Anybody who says that is dumb! Learning is more difficult when you are an adults, but adults have far more sticktuitiveness than kids do. I think of Roger Bannister's saying, "The man who can keep going once the effort gets painful is the one who will win." You may not ever become a concert musician, but you will gain valuable knowledge. Plus, it's fun.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:02 pm

SpectreWithin wrote:
Hell no - its never too late. Don't let anyone discourage you! Frankly your co-worker is the dumb one in this particular case.

I started playing bouzouki in my late 20s - which is a bit younger but anyway it became the instrument I'm most skilled at of all I've played. At 32 now I'm still trying out new instruments all the time.

You play buzouki? That's so cool! You must live in Europe to even get ahold of one of those right? I like the old folk instruments. I wouldn't mind learning the uillean pipes if someone would donate me a set. :D

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:21 pm

No, not at all.