Whitch hand do you play with?
Right handed 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Left handed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 3:43 am

I need some help I'm still rather new to this (guitar playing not the site), I'm wondering if I need to restring my guitar. I have my right hand on the fret board and my left hand on the strings, does that mean I play left handed or not?

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2007, 7:30 am

I'm a little confused as to what you might mean. Well it seems to me that you are playing it left handed. I can't tell you if your need to restring your guitar because you havn't gave enough infomation, like are you holding it the right way-up? Is it made for right or handed players? What kind of guitar? Is it acoustic, electric or classic? Have you got the strings in the right order or way round.
In standard tuning the lowest in pitch string should be tuned to a low E, then the next string should be a A, then the one bellow D, the next one should be a G, then after that there should be a B and finally the highest should be tuned to a E but two octaves higher than the low E.
In lay mans terms the thickest in gauage (that should be fairly obvious) is the one closest to your head.
I hope this is helpful. Try out google.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 7:51 am

it is acoustic made for right handedness, now the bit that will really confuse you I'm right handed but I can't play it right handed, and will need it to be restringed, so that the thick string is at the top and the thinnest at the bottom. Damn it I'm just weird in the way I play at the moment. Google just gives raidom stuff about guitars what ever way I word it. Oh way thanks for the help and it should be done in the next two weeks. Also do you know a good electonic tuner the one I have keeps giving the wrong pitch.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 10:19 am

I could be wrong, but...
If you are right handed,
you may just feel that you need to make the chords with your right hand now, because it is new to you and difficult.
However, if you are truly right handed, ultimately your left hand will not be your best choice for handling the rythyms.
You might want to try tapping various rythyms with each hand and compare.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 11:18 am

I'm a lot slow on my left hand when handling the chord and note changes on the fingerbroad stumming does not matter to much both hands can do it at the same speed but i struggled very badly with note changes with my left hand on the fringer board plus i find it a damn sight easier with my right hand on the fringer board anyway.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 5:58 pm

Sounds like you may be a lefty guitarist.
You can string most righty guitars for lefty but you'll run into problems tuning it (and keeping it in tune) unless you also change the bridge and get a new nut grooved for lefty.
Your best bet there is to mess around with a righty-strung-for-lefty until you find out whether or not you'll stick with it... then get yourself a lefty guitar. At least, that' what I did for several years.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 2:16 pm

cool how come I have that prefence to play left handed when I'm right, ah stuff it one of the words' odd myserties.