Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:08 am

I have posted a similar topic to on this on wrong planet before but did not feel I got enough answers last time.

Some information really fascinated me in relation to Asperger's syndrome/autism (below_

Some people with Asperger's have a normal life and maybe from time to time might just be viewed as a little quirky by there friends and associates. However there are those with Asperger's where it is more 'apparent' will face prejudice.

I would like your opinions on this and what do you think the part 'more apparent might mean in more depth?

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:38 am

I guess I'm one who has it "more apparent", or so I was told by people.
I was told that after a 5-minute talk with me people realize I'm "not typical".
People in past asked me if I had DID, or schizophrenia, or ADHD-PI (with which I was actually diagnosed), or if I was schizoid or schizotypal, or if I had some sort of mood disorder.
I was even asked sometimes "what are you, autistic?".

I hardly ever tell people I have AS, but when I do they always say something like "yeah, it was easy to tell".

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:46 am

chlov wrote:
People in past asked me if I had DID, or schizophrenia, or ADHD-PI (with which I was actually diagnosed), or if I was schizoid or schizotypal, or if I had some sort of mood disorder.

I hardly ever tell people I have AS, but when I do they always say something like "yeah, it was easy to tell".

What type of prejudice do people with more obvious Asperger's face?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:14 am

Jamesy wrote:
I have posted a similar topic to on this on wrong planet before but did not feel I got enough answers last time.

Some information really fascinated me in relation to Asperger's syndrome/autism (below_
you did not close your bracket.

Jamesy wrote:
Some people with Asperger's have a normal life and maybe from time to time might just be viewed as a little quirky by there friends and associates. However there are those with Asperger's where it is more 'apparent' will face prejudice.
I would like your opinions on this and what do you think the part 'more apparent might mean in more depth?

not many people would think i have a disorder. i have been reasonably successful in materially "feathering my nest".
i do not know how people think of me, but i have never faced any prejudice, because i always have money and i am never in want of anything, but on the other hand there is a starkness in my interaction with people that leaves them empty of any connection with them.

i am always formal, and i never "let go" and join in selflessly with any conversation. i always think from my point of view, and all my words come from my own perspective. sometimes others can become excited that they think i am on the same "wavelength" as me, but invariably, as the conversation progresses, they will say something that does not correlate with my own perspective, and i will seem perplexed and they will try to explain it further to me, but it will never work. unless i have already thought in terms of what they are saying, i will remain unconvinced, and no matter how many ways they try to rephrase their sentiment in the hope i will finally understand, i never do.

i live completely in my own head. i can not learn new ways of looking at things from people who try to coach my mind to think in their manner.

my conversational style is limited to me saying what i think, and if someone else thinks the same way, i will say more, but if they do not, then i will retire from the conversation. i give no reason as to why i have suddenly become disinterested. even if i have had 30 minutes of animated conversation with someone who understands what i am thinking, the moment that they say something i have never considered, the conversation is over.

i do not like someone because they understand what i say and give them allowances for minor deviations to my thought train. the moment they say something i have not previously considered, i disconnect from what they are saying and look at my watch and just go.

everything i think is due to my personal deliberation, and what other people think has no real influence on me.

people can see this quickly and they do not bother to continue to talk to me after i fail to see why they are saying what they say.

excellent conversations can result in unrecoverable derailments if they do not say what i expect them to say.

i think in very simplistic ways, and i allow my mind to spend much time in deliberations that augment an initially absurd idea i may have.

i am my best friend because i am the only one that knows all of what i think, and why.

i do not have the capacity for mutual love. i can love someone for reasons they have never considered, and i also fail to feel love from people who want to show their love to me.

i do not know what love in the classic sense means. i love my house because it protects me from the elements, and i love my car because it takes me where i want to go. i love my body because it keeps me alive.

i can not love anything because of no reason (as in romantic notions). i love things i have owned for a long time even if they are worthless in the eyes of others.

they say AS people love routine. i do. it is not because i love routine specifically, but it is because i love to act the same way over and over again without the hassle of having to learn a new script.

i love music that is what most people would consider devoid of high emotional content. i can not understand things like "gregorian chants" or emotional music like sinnead o'connor's "nothing compares to you". sonia likes that song and tries to educate me and induce my mind to understand the meaning in it but i see none.

despite all the obvious deficits in my soul that are blatantly apparent to all the people i know, they still have some sort of corrupted respect for me because i have everything i want (materially) that many of them have not yet been able to achieve.

i think in many ways that other people's descriptions of their experiences in life with asperger syndrome are different to mine. i do not need to wait until someone says "yes i agree" before i believe what i do.

i never experience loneliness because i actually entertain myself with what i think. many times every day, something occurs to me which makes me laugh because it is funny. many times every day i also think of thing that i know to be true even if no one else has thought of it. it is like i am my own companion.

i am the only one i feel ultimately comfortable spending every second of my life with.

i have severe autism, but i also have enough intelligence to make my selfish life interesting to me.

if i had less intelligence than i do, i would not understand anything because i would never have personally thought of it.

i can not be taught how to think. i see other people as objects that also think, but they have no relationship to me in a subjective way.

i can love. i truly love animals and other beings who are innocent who have not conspired to win my approval.

my soul is real. i do exist. but my soul is like an isolated soap bubble. the surface tension that keeps my bubble from popping out of existence is my interest in what i think.

i am glad that i am keenly interested in what i think, and if other heads do not understand, then that is just an eternal observation like looking at clouds who's formations do not have any influence by my thoughts.

autism is much more than what most people may imagine.

i can not speak for anyone else who is autistic because i am solitary in my perception of the world like they are.

there is something i heard of which is called "the call of the wild" and it involves wolves who can not help but to join in and howl with the other wolves. they do not know why they do it but they can not help it. it is a fundamental genetic compulsion.

tammy has rung me up so this is the end of this post.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
chlov wrote:

What type of prejudice do people with more obvious Asperger's face?

I don't know about them, I just know about myself.
People never showed any prejudice, they just tell me things like "you look like a schizoid", so I don't really know if they have prejudices or not.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 8:20 am

People have told me flat out "you are not normal". Of course, I've always taken that as a compliment. :lol:

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 9:47 am

Jamesy, prejudice is prejudging, or judging without having the facts. If somebody takes the time to get to know somebody and then concludes they're weird, that may be a lot of things, but it's not prejudice.

As for me, I'm with Major on this one. I am what I am, and I'm proud of what I am.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:18 pm

b9 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

you did not close your bracket...

That isn't a bracket.

I like you boardname and avatar.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 1:08 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
People have told me flat out "you are not normal". Of course, I've always taken that as a compliment. :lol:

Me too! I work in a school and last week, a child asked me how I manage to be so quirky. I said I didn't know, I'm just being me and he said he thought I was weird in a really cool way and that he wanted to be like me! Took that as a massive compliment :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 7:03 am

Sethno wrote:
b9 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

That isn't a bracket.

the symbol i was referring to was a bracket, and it was never closed, and i am glad that you panned the only milligram of gold that was extractable from my thousand tonnes of "dirt" by referring to only my comment about a bracket.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 7:39 am

b9 wrote:
Sethno wrote:
b9 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

That isn't a bracket.

the symbol i was referring to was a bracket, and it was never closed, and i am glad that you panned the only milligram of gold that was extractable from my thousand tonnes of "dirt" by referring to only my comment about a bracket.

I thought that there was quite a lot of gold in your "thousand tonnes of dirt", b9. You are very good at articulating your outlook on life. Your posts about autism are always interesting.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 9:27 am

you have many thousands of billions of healthy brain cells jannisy. you have a better brain than i have.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

b9 wrote:
you have many thousands of billions of healthy brain cells jannisy. you have a better brain than i have.

If someone had trillions of brain cells they would be one of those little grey aliens with huge heads. Just sayin :P

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 9:42 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
b9 wrote:

If someone had trillions of brain cells they would be one of those little grey aliens with huge heads. Just sayin :P

i agree they would be alien since there is no animal on earth with that many neurons, but i can not imagine why they would be small or grey.

as well, i did not think about the number i used. i meant 100's of billions not thousands of billions. and not "many" hundreds of billions either, just a few (1-2). i was almost asleep when i wrote my last post.