Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Don't get sick in Italy.

Their lawyers think they know more about medicine than their doctors.

This is the country that once put a pedophile in charge of their country, who would trust their judgment.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

yelekam wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Don't get sick in Italy.

Their lawyers think they know more about medicine than their doctors.

This is the country that once put a pedophile in charge of their country, who would trust their judgment.

I don't care what country it is, if a court anywhere tried to make such a ruling, I'd question their knowledge of science and subsequently ask for their undeniable proof to be examined by a panel of experts in the fields of chemistry, genetics, biology, etc. in order to establish real fact in the matter.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2013, 7:48 am

What amazes me is that the Italian health officials didn't fight this more vigorously. But then Italy is in a big financial mess, so its possible that they simply didn't have the finances to fight this properly. As has been said, a court is not a scientific establishment, so you can't give scientific weight to what a judge says. Italy is famous for corruption too so you have to take that into account when reading these reports (you may not perhaps hear about this in the USA, but here in Europe Italy's political and legal corruption is very well known)

Arguments about America being more corrupt are pointless in this context anyway, since the whole controversy was originally caused by Andrew Wakefield and his scam research here in the UK. Our medical establishment has struck him off the medical register for his dangerous and corrupt statements. And some of the juniors on the project went public to expose his manipulation of the evidence to come up with his results. He deliberately falsified scientific evidence to support the results that the lawyers here were paying him to get - to prove their otherwise baseless litigation.

It is a matter of public record that Andrew Wakefield Took huge sums of money to falsify scientific evidence to discredit the MMR vaccine, yet there are still people who refuse to believe that he was corrupt.

The whole MMR argument is pretty weak anyway, since many of us were born long before the MMR vaccine even came out. If there was a sudden increase in Autism after the introduction of MMR, there might be a case, but there is no evidence to support that.

When I grew up we didn't have most of the additives that are abundant today either, there were no sweeteners in food for example. Most meals were cooked from scratch using fresh ingredients, if you wanted pie for dinner you didn't go out and buy one - you made one. Yet we still had autism - it was just not diagnosed, because the knowledge wasn't there to enable that to happen. Again there is no data to prove an increase in Autism in proportion to the increase in Additives in food.

I must point out here that I am very anti additive when it comes to food, so I am not trying to argue in favour of artificial additives. Even if additives don't cause autism they can seriously mess up people with ASD, sometimes causing symptoms to be amplified. I myself seem to be quite sensitive to sweeteners especially - they give me a sore throat and make me feel quite ill. But to assign a causative role to additives is like saying that because we are sensitive to noise then noise must be the cause of ASD.

A lot of these dubious theories in my personal opinion, are based on the misconception that Autism is a modern disease and therefore must have been caused by a modern factor. Going back a generation for example, my uncle almost certainly had classic autism, but was simply diagnosed as being 'backwards' and sent to a 'special' school for mentally ret*d kids. Autism has always been there, it just wasn't understood or known about, so we have no historical records of it.

And without historical records it is impossible to make comparative studies of correlative incidences in the pre - modern era.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.