Totally alienated from and disinterested in popular culture

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm

I do sorta halfway follow sports, just because I like sports and I like knowing who's doing what. But most sports journalism these days is more about the latest drug scandal or what Hollywood starlet Alex Rodriguez is dating or who Tiger Woods is screwing. Do people actually care about that stuff?????

I'm often semi-embarrassed because I have no clue who got kicked off the island or who's dancing with who. And I seriously have no idea at all why Kim Kardashian is famous. I know the name, obviously, because you can't escape it. But I have no idea what she does or who she does it with.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 4:54 pm

The only sport I was interested in was cycling, specifically the Tour de France, but after so many doping scandals I just don't care any more. There is no point following the amazing efforts of an individual if there are doubts about their honesty.

Kim Kardashian's father was OJ Simpson's friend, lawyer and potential evidence destroyer, I think she followed that up with a sex tape.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2013, 5:43 pm

Im only interested in science things and a little math, other things like love movies dont interest me AT ALL

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 7:10 pm

TV and movies nowadays are either people shooting each other, people lying with each other, People gossiping with each other, or people wasting time making this kind of crap with each other.

However, there are some exceptions:
Adventure Time (If the a show's creator's were making a kid appropriate show while taking drugs, it would be this show.)
Regular Show (Who doesn't like the 80s references?)
Ed, Edd, and Eddy (Cancelled; I miss it so much...)
Fairly Odd Parents (only decent show on Nickelodeon, you can say Spongebob is funny, just not good.)
any kind of anime (just some of them, cannot be dubbed, and few space fillers :))
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (Can't explain the hilarity)
& more... Like Dr. Who!

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

08 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

Tequila wrote:
Anyone else like this?

I'm thinking most films, all TV series, all music, and so on and so forth. I hear it, but it doesn't really interest me.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with me. I just have no interest in it at all.

I love my TV shows (about 7-8 of them) but don't care particularly for most movies or music.

When I do listen to music, it's usually techno or trance. :P

I love the State of Trance albums they make every year or two. But when people talk about popular movies, music, or even some popular TV shows, I haven't a clue.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2013, 7:55 pm

Love your Torquie Avatar Torquemada! I thought I was the only one who remembered Nemesis!
I was thinking about using Laser Eraser and Pressbutton's Zirk as an avatar, but nobody
remembers Zirk.
I think a lot of non Aspies also hate pop culture, but are more obliged to have a minimal knowledge of it for conversation's sake.
As a female, I find I'm more accepted with males because I casually follow sports (Except for The Philadelphia Flyers Ice Hockey Team, which I am fanatical about.) I feel really sorry for men who just don't like sports because other men look at them like they freaks.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm

Another thing I am thinking of reading the replys here is most NT people not only follow the happenings of these celebs, they also hero worship and look up to them, try to imitate there every move and follow there every direction(thats why celeb endorsements are so important to marketers of consumer products). I can't just simply do this, I can't relate to most of them, I see them for what they are for better or for worse and fail to see why someone should be my hero just becouse they are rich and famous. If I want a hero i'll find someone like a veteran who risked their life for my freedom or someone like that, thats a person who deserves hero worshiping yet our worped society tends to forget about the real heros in favour of the fake ones. When I do follow a celeb its simply becouse I like there work and I want to follow the art or whatever craft they do, I don't what to know what they ate for breakfest, I follow the work they do and not them personally.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2013, 8:14 am

Tequila wrote:
Anyone else like this?

YES!

Tequila wrote:
I'm thinking most films, all TV series, all music, and so on and so forth. I hear it, but it doesn't really interest me.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with me. I just have no interest in it at all.

I can only compare with my own situation.

- I hate all TV now and have basically stopped watching. I got to the point where I only watched 3 shows including the news. Now I only watch Channel 4 news and that's it (UK). I can't stand all that Strictly Come Dancing, The Voice, X-Factor etc. I used to like X-Factor until all the lies came out, I can't stand anything without integrity.
- In music I'm completely divorced from the mainstream, listening to only electronic music including progressive trance, psy chillout, ambient etc.
- Movies, there are movies I like but all of them are from the 60s-80s now. There has been nothing good in the last 30 years and that's a fact. You maybe get 1 good movies every 10 yrs now, it's crap, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you.
- Celebrity obsessions etc are all just petty nonsense invented for stupid people, don't worry about that.

I'm glad I'm not alone, I don't think you are, in or out of Autism circles either.

Here's a link which may cheer you up: http://thedailymash.co.uk/

Lastly from reading this, we may be on the Wrong Planet but we're definitely from the same one.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2013, 8:31 am

marshall wrote:
Join the club. I stopped bothering with television so I'm in the dark. I can't stand advertisements. I can't stand listening to the television in the background when I'm visiting my parents house. I dread going to a movie and being bored, so I don't watch movies much. Oh, and I'm also clueless when it comes to sports. Meh.

Wow, that is almost exactly like me. I haven't thrown away my tv yet, but I usually only use it to watch an occasional movie, and it gets turned on for about 2 hours a week by me if that. My coworkers think I am crazy for not knowing about current shows, they're all like, "did you see what happened on such and such?!" And I am like, nope, I don't watch it. People are baffled, but that is many of people I think, they are sucked in by the mindless media of today. Watch the movie Idiocracy, it all makes sense!

And commercials, forget about it. I will switch, mute, or turn off the tv!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2013, 8:45 am

MagicToenail wrote:
As a female, I find I'm more accepted with males because I casually follow sports (Except for The Philadelphia Flyers Ice Hockey Team, which I am fanatical about.) I feel really sorry for men who just don't like sports because other men look at them like they freaks.

Speaking for me, the main reason I don't follow sports is that it would take up way too much time out of my life. I know some guys that will spend entire weekends glued to the tube watching their favorite team, every weekend. Plus I find most sports boring and when you think about it logically, these guys get paid millions to play a game, and when they score, they act like they are God or something. No, you're just doing your job!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 9:01 am

I never shared the interest in popular culture. Í am not interested in sports, I only listen to pop with 1/16th of an ear, I don´t read criminal storys and not ever love stories and I absolutely hate soaps.
It is a little embarrassing, that I seldom know what a song is about, - only how the music goes.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm

Triple__B wrote:
MagicToenail wrote:

Speaking for me, the main reason I don't follow sports is that it would take up way too much time out of my life. I know some guys that will spend entire weekends glued to the tube watching their favorite team, every weekend. Plus I find most sports boring and when you think about it logically, these guys get paid millions to play a game, and when they score, they act like they are God or something. No, you're just doing your job!

Almost the same here, the only sport I care about is stock car racing and the only races I follow now a days are the ones I drive in, I have got better things to do like make my own car go faster then watch millionares for hours and play armchair quarterback/crew chief or whatever.

Marshall, when I watch TV, I watch mostly preschool/childrens shows and public TV stations, no ads on any of those and its normally actually quality programming aswell!

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm

Popular culture HERE - doesn't interest me.

Anime culture on the other hand - I've been into that since I was 12 :3

Author/Writer

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

13 Jul 2013, 12:30 am

MagicToenail wrote:
Love your Torquie Avatar Torquemada! I thought I was the only one who remembered Nemesis!
I was thinking about using Laser Eraser and Pressbutton's Zirk as an avatar, but nobody
remembers Zirk.
I think a lot of non Aspies also hate pop culture, but are more obliged to have a minimal knowledge of it for conversation's sake.

I hate sports, and this is true. And other women probably view you as a freak too. Welcome to the same-gender outcast club. :lol:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 2:32 am

Yeah, I totally resonate with this idea.

TV, I hate. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Used to watch it, years and years ago, but.... not anymore. It's been long enough since I last cared about it that frankly I no longer know how to operate the bloody cable boxes, or satellite or whatever the damn things are, with the squillion channels and all. TV shows went from being about good writing and story, to being about sex and "shock!! !" value, often with really horrid writing. And also reality shows, which are phenomenally dumb.

Same with movies. Most of the time, I never touch these. They take too long, anything over 20 minutes being "too long" to my extremely limited patience, and are usually bad.

Music I never cared about at any point. Just as disinterested now as ever. Any music I have, used entirely to be played in the car while I'm driving, is all game soundtracks and such.

Sports, never knew a thing about that. I have a vague understanding of how baseball is played, and that's about it. American football in particular just looks like alot of really heavy guys crashing into each other over and over like a bunch of rather dumb semi trucks.

Even anime... I've always liked anime, but alot of really recent series just do nothing for me. PARTICULARLY the mainstream ones, Naruto being the absolute worst of the bunch. Generally if I'm watching recent-ish anime it's something that's a bit obscure and thus avoids many of the rather annoying trends that have become popular recently.

Other than that.... well, the one other thing that seems to be a big part of popular "culture" *cough* here in the States is drinking alchohol and making a complete ass of yourself amongst friends. I can happily say I've never touched a drop of the stuff, and never will. I've no interest in drinking something where literally the only effect it has is making you temporarily slower and dumber. Cant even stand to be around anyone that's been drinking at all. Tend to yell at anyone that does so near me. Since drinking at bars or wherever seems to be THE thing to do for many so-called "normal" people, it makes me glad that I'm not "normal", heh.

All in all, I have no problems whatsoever with being the sort that is not a part of popular culture these days. Usually I avoid it like the plague.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2013, 2:33 am

I think women are luckier than men in that account Tyri0n. Some sports figures like Tom Brady have huge female followings and become sex symbols. So a woman is not automatically thought of as a lesbian or a freak (if she follows male dominated sports anyway) for being a sports fan. A man however is thought of as a geek at best, effeminate (not that there is anything wrong in that) or a freak for not liking sports.
That totally sucks. :(