Total votes : 22

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 12:36 pm

peebo wrote:
snake321 wrote:
feminists
blacks (but they actually did the right thing for themselves, they sought equality, not dominance... so did the feminists **in the beginning**)

can you supply us with any well known examples of feminist violence? the only one that comes to mind at the moment would be valerie solanas shooting warhol and her s.c.u.m. society, and that actually was more to do with a personal grievance than strictly feminist issues. i am sure there must be more, but my mind is currently drawing a blank...

http://nzmera.orcon.net.nz/femvioln.html

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 4:56 pm

but snake, before 1918 in the uk women never even had the right to vote. they were treated as second class citizens. you have already stated that in the beginning it was the right thing for feminists to do. look:

snake321 wrote:
blacks (but they actually did the right thing for themselves, they sought equality, not dominance... so did the feminists **in the beginning**)

so clearly you find the violence mentioned in your link justified. have we no more recent examples?

and also, can you not find any even slightly reasonable and credible websites carrying stories about feminist violence other than some pathetic "mens rights" page?

front page of the website snake linked wrote:

Feminism is a simple idea that has got into women's little brains.

it would seem clear that the website in question clearly has an agenda of some sort, wouldn't you agree?

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Last edited by peebo on 23 Jan 2007, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2007, 5:40 pm

Quakers are Pacifists, well not all, but I know Quakers are against violence and stuff. I don't know about each individual person that's a Quaker. What is the definition of a Hippie these days? Is it a Pot smoking person that's all about Peace, Love, and not bathing?

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 6:56 pm

Merriam-Webster:
hip·pie or hip·py
Etymology: hip + -ie
: a usually young person who rejects the mores of established society (as by dressing unconventionally or favoring communal living) and advocates a nonviolent ethic; broadly : a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person

Jeckel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2007, 4:32 pm

<I wonder how many of those hippy activists from the 60's became democratic politicians of today?>

I think you'd be more surprised how many of them are upstanding republicans with suvs, big houses, nice portfolios, and important jobs..

Sir_Sefirot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2007, 1:11 pm

Hippies are not the same as Pacifists in any way (although I despise both of them), but they certainly have lots in common in the ideological area, e.g., both are living in a fairy tale.

mingusman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2007, 10:48 am

This may not be an original thought. Why not consider Jesus a proto-hippie? I am a Christian who is absolutely for the people. All people, race gender political affiliation are the things (among others like religion & sexual morality) that divide us. My cousin is fighting Iraq & I will no longer attend anti-war protests out of support for him. If I were capable of fighting I'd choose to be a conscientious objector. And yet why should I feel shame about all the violent action movies I enjoy watching? I'd rather watch Dirty Harry break every amendment in the constitution as he combs San Francisco to prove Scorpio's guilt than watch romantic comedies with Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lopez, Meg Ryan, etc. Why be left with self-pity about a relationship that I am incapable (at least as of yet) of attracting? I'd be all for making love not war (my hippie side showing again) yet being an Aspie so far has rendered that impossible. I'll take a Blues song about that "woman is doing me wrong" not because I don't like women. I love them more than I should (sometimes with a love I should reserve for GOD). But the war between the genders fascinates me. I was a fan of the movie "Thelma & Louise" to balance things out. In theory I'd rather hear brotherly love proclaimed than romantic love. It cuts deeper for me. I'm not sure (turning 36 this year) if & when I'm to meet a woman who will want more than just friendship. In other words I can't afford to be a hippie. The desire remains. We'll see for today if I can focus on GOD first. If the world leaders declaring war in his name could do that we'd all be pacifist hippies. Likewise if I'd learn how to seek the kingdom of GOD alone. Maybe then he'd reward me with some sweet & tender woman. And I'd be able to be a pacifist hippie. In short the answer is "yes" but define pacifist & hippie as words. Then tell me if you think that's a bad thing. Or (as I feel) a good thing.

mingusman
Wausau, WI