Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:27 pm

For those of us without a working knowledge of Northern Ireland's symbols, what is the context of that flag? Google results are leading me to two different explanations of what exactly it's supposed to mean.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
For those of us without a working knowledge of Northern Ireland's symbols, what is the context of that flag? Google results are leading me to two different explanations of what exactly it's supposed to mean.

Look up the Ulster Banner.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:

Its origin has two roots.

Firstly and probably most pertinently was the flying of Palestinian flags in Irish nationalist areas out of solidarity with the Palestinians as they identified their own struggle with that of theirs. The association is evident in paintings in such as this
The reaction of loyalists was to counterintuitively fly Israeli flags in their own areas. Eventually they drew their own situation with that of the Israelis (the empowered demographic fighting the terrorist scourge). They even set up a group called 'Northern Ireland friends of Israel'.

The second and more tenuous origin comes from the belief by Ulster lutherians that they are descended from the original Israelis themselves. Ulster Prysbeterians call themselves the 'lost tribe of Israel'.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

Tequila wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I think they mean the flag i posted earlier.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

thomas81 wrote:
That excuses it does it?

Erm... no.

Read what I said again.

I would feel similarly about someone burning the Bible, the Quran or the UKIP flag or manifesto.

It's disgusting and hateful, but I'd rather have disgusting and hateful people where I can see them, thanks all the same.

I wouldn't get too worked up in moral outrage on what is burnt on the bonfire. If the Poles have any sense, they will ignore these a***holes for what they are. No-one is harmed or threatened.

Banning a bonfire won't get rid of the dislike of Poles or the Vatican. It's just a symptom.

If Poles suffered racist attacks on their cars or homes, or if they were sent threatening letters or beaten up in the street, move in and move in hard. Otherwise, ignore the bastards.

I wouldn't prevent racists holding demos against Polish people either, just like I wouldn't stop the UAF or Islamists from demonstrating (but I would stop the UAF, Islamists or the NI factions from silencing the other point of view).

The Poles can hold a counter-protest, and it can all be debated for and against - you know, like civilised people do it. Speech combated by more speech.

Free speech is good like that.

thomas81 wrote:
This is a wholly different context. This represents craven bullying against a minority section of the community.

One which I'm sure that Poles, if they have any sense, will simply ignore.

This is the action of stupid and bigoted morons. They're pissing in the wind.

Let them have their fun, then work on genuine community relations.

thomas81 wrote:
I have yet to see that.

Bloody hell - someone you consider a 'foreigner' knows more about what's going on in your country than you do! How pathetic.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:59 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I think they mean the flag i posted earlier.

I did. Google was leading to confusing results, thank you for the explanation.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

It's meant to mean unionist support for Israel.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

Tequila wrote:

Erm... no.

Read what I said again.

I would feel similarly about someone burning the Bible, the Quran or the UKIP flag or manifesto.

It's disgusting and hateful, but I'd rather have disgusting and hateful people where I can see them, thanks all the same.

I wouldn't get too worked up in moral outrage on what is burnt on the bonfire. If the Poles have any sense, they will ignore these a***holes for what they are. No-one is harmed or threatened.

Banning a bonfire won't get rid of the dislike of Poles or the Vatican. It's just a symptom.

If Poles suffered racist attacks on their cars or homes, or if they were sent threatening letters or beaten up in the street, move in and move in hard. Otherwise, ignore the bastards.

I wouldn't prevent racists holding demos against Polish people either, just like I wouldn't stop the UAF or Islamists from demonstrating (but I would stop the UAF, Islamists or the NI factions from silencing the other point of view).

The Poles can hold a counter-protest, and it can all be debated for and against - you know, like civilised people do it. Speech combated by more speech.

Free speech is good like that.

One which I'm sure that Poles, if they have any sense, will simply ignore.

This is the action of stupid and bigoted morons. They're pissing in the wind.

Let them have their fun, then work on genuine community relations.

...so we let them have their 'fun' [gag] until it actually manifests as violence?

Its amazing that you jump to the defence of these knuckle dragging boneheads but when the likes of Anjem Choudhury or Abu Hamza are excercising as you put it their 'Free Speech' you cannot extradite them or lock them up and throw away the key fast enough.

You right wingers are absolute hypocrites.

Tequila wrote:

Bloody hell - someone you consider a 'foreigner' knows more about what's going on in your country than you do! How pathetic.

No, i genuinely have not seen this. I don't deny it probably happens though.

That said, otherwise I usually have little interest in what the flegtards get up to. Every eleventh night I seal my blinds, mind my own business and try to pretend it away.

As you put it I let them have their 'fun'. It doesnt mean i need to spectate.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:05 pm

Tequila wrote:
It's meant to mean unionist support for Israel.

I think my version was more eloquent, thank you.

My deviant art profile

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
I would have to say that my nationalistic tendencies definitely stem from the perspective of order among chaos. I personally prefer organization to individualistic disarray. I may not participate in the social aspects of nationalism, but I appreciate the semblance of structure and familiarity. It makes things a bit calmer in my feverishly troubled brain-box.

Nationalism can and does hone the focus, cohesion and vigour of a society by tapping into emotionalism, just ask Hitler... ;)
But is doesn't follower the lack of a euphoric nationalism is necessarily a disorganising element in a society, imo...

The evolution of the German identity is a good example of the subjugation of tribalistic kingdoms/affinities with the intention of creating a greater functional unity/entity...
It could be said that the nationalistic tendencies of the early German city states severely reduced the potential of the German peoples as a whole, and that by amalgamating into a larger social entity, that potential was largely realised.

The same argument could be made about relinquishing national isolationism and joining a global community identity for the same end of achieving greater overall potential.

Once again I must emphasis that I am not a new world order aficionado...
The human animal is too corrupted by it's intrinsic nature of self interest for this type of grandiose altruism to be successful, and it is my opinion/belief/guess/fear that such a direction will simply provide the mechanism for the establishment of a global police state a la 1984...
Just consider the failed social experiment of Stalinist communism...

Perhaps this is a "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" situation for me personally... ;)

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:

The U.S. government is well represented by the Bald Eagle even as Franklin indicated.

ruveyn

That's kind of true, I just wish that meant avoiding fights with smaller nations.