Sea Gull

26 Jan 2007, 2:10 pm

Best invention ever:

Self check out at Wal-Mart.

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2007, 5:10 am

I hate it when it's crowded. In summer when the tourists are here the supermarkets are so terrible my mother tries to avoid going shopping herself :P and she's NT. I don't like it when there's people everywhere and noise and children screaming (a three year old's squeal goes through me like a dentist's drill) and everything's moving and the tannoy is booming and wherever you stand you're in someone's way. Half an hour of that will leave me exhausted for the rest of the day, so I usually insist on staying in the car or just don't go at all, which means she has to do it all on her own :\

calibaby wrote:
sales people following you around asking if you need help

Seconded. It's the electronics stores that do it here. I appreciate you're paid to do that, mister, but I'll buy if I want to buy and not otherwise, now let me look at these games in peace!

I'm kind of scared of some small shops though because they are SO small. I like to feel unobserved when I'm browsing and there's this little music shop in my town that's barely bigger than a closet inside; for six years since we moved here I didn't dare go in, which is a big shame because when I finally dared it late last year I found they stocked all the weird and wonderful rock and metal artists I like! Now if the guy would stop saying "Hi, what's up? Nice day, huh? Haven't seen you for a while. How's your dad?" etc. and just read the paper or something while I look through the stacks, I'd be a happy bunny :P

I also worked in a shop once. A big chain store (WH Smiths). NEVER AGAIN.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 5:14 am

tinky wrote:
walmart=evillll!! ! it's so unorganized! especially in the entertainment section. i spend half my time in walmart organizing the movies.

Why on Earth do you do their job for them? Is that an OCD thing? If they can't be bothered to employ proper staff at a reasonable rate, that's their problem. I bet they giggle every time you do their work (unpaid) for them.

I don't like supermarkets much myself. Loud, noisy, bright, stressful and frankly alienating places.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 7:20 am

I refuse to buy anything at a shop unless I have well over the amount I need. If possible I like to have a note and I always find myself checking the position of the money as I get closer to the front. The thought of taking longer than a couple of seconds to pay and get out of there terrifies me. Imagine not having enough to pay!

copernilol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2007, 7:40 am

I dont mind shopping in general, but I get quite anxious when people approach me to ask if I need help.
Luckily I learnt that "just browsing" is polite and they understand I dont want to be hassled.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 10:31 am

I like bookstores and record stores. I don't have store phobia, but I don't think stores are the most interesting places, either.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 1:22 pm

Have been told the reason why so many stores play loud modern music is to attract young people because young people are supposed to like loud music.
many shops try to be like night clubs with powerful sound rigs,and sometimes DJs playing,like in selfridges at the trafford centre.
do not want to go to a nightclub shop,just want a shop that does not play music,that does not have staff who go up to people constantly asking stuff,and perhaps a cue for people who use credit/debit cards and a cue for those who are not using them,as to make things quicker and less painful.

games workshop is a great store,usually go to the one in the TC because they aren't able to have music on as it's open planned,but the main one in picadilly-with a much bigger warhammer range, plays metal,very loud.
its like these sensory overloading shops are taunting ASDers,they can be selling great stuff but its too much torture to cope with going in them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 1:42 pm

I don't like places that play music too loud. If I can't hear the person I'm talking to then it's too loud in my eyes. Supermarket music, if there is any, should be unintrusive and allow people to shop without any fuss.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 11:32 am

The loudness bothers me a lot too, especially the loud distorted messages over the intercom. At Target they use radios and is much quieter

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 11:49 am

I really dislike supermarkets with really narrow aisles that force you to move out of the way when somebody brings a cart down one. Also, the crackly loud intercoms can also cause problems for me. I don't react externally, but I feel annoyed within. Also, when I'm alone, I don't like to actually buy something with a cashier. I'm always afraid I'm doing something wrong--something that my parents would tell me not to do. Again, this makes me uncomfortable.

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 12:23 pm

I love stores. There are so many colors and sounds and scents it can be overwhelming, but it's stimulating too; makes me feel "drunk" in a way. Sometimes I end up stumbling through the store, hardly able to think straight, but I like it.

What I do dislike very strongly is being touched and pushed about, when people pass by or when I stand in a queue. This is really annoying.

Last edited by ixochiyo_yohuallan on 28 Jan 2007, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2007, 1:09 pm

YES.

Malls are the epitome of "hell on earth" as far as I'm concerned. I can handle them okay when they're not packed with people, but the more people there are, the quicker I get overstimulated. Holiday-time is absolutely hellish. People start acting like zoo animals at feeding time. I can't go to stores and malls around that time at all.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 1:24 pm

Melantha wrote:
YES.

Malls are the epitome of "hell on earth" as far as I'm concerned. I can handle them okay when they're not packed with people, but the more people there are, the quicker I get overstimulated. Holiday-time is absolutely hellish. People start acting like zoo animals at feeding time. I can't go to stores and malls around that time at all.

Especially the day after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas (because of people returning things).

And Saturdays any time of the year--unless I don't really have anything else to do. However, I have shopped at Wal-Mart at 5:00am on a Saturday morning, buying kitchen items for my future apartment.

But I love Best Buy, and i LOOOOVVVVEEEE Fry's, after visiting there for the first time yesterday. When I buy a DVD at Best Buy, or a book at Barnes and Noble, I do it during my lunch hour. I usually buy my DVDs on Tuesdays (because that is when new releases come out).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:36 pm

Tequila wrote:
tinky wrote:
walmart=evillll!! ! it's so unorganized! especially in the entertainment section. i spend half my time in walmart organizing the movies.

Why on Earth do you do their job for them? Is that an OCD thing? If they can't be bothered to employ proper staff at a reasonable rate, that's their problem. I bet they giggle every time you do their work (unpaid) for them.

I don't like supermarkets much myself. Loud, noisy, bright, stressful and frankly alienating places.

yes, i have slight ocd...it's quite fun actually. it's like puzzle for me.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:40 pm

Hoorahville wrote:
Best invention ever:

Self check out at Wal-Mart.

They have that pretty much everywhere nowadays.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 4:16 pm

I hate walmart and grocery stores, I like Target and Meijer stores, but that's about it.