29 Jul 2013, 2:29 pm

I speak very quickly, in an attempt to overcome this, and it STILL happens. :x

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2013, 7:43 pm

For me it depends who it is. If it is just some normal person who tries to talk over me, I get more "aggressive" and steamroll them verbally. If it is a superior such as a parts manager or someone of higher rank at work, I would stand down. With them though, they always give me a chance to speak. At our meetings at work everyone takes turns speaking and nobody talks over others. The parts manager.makes that a rule at the meetings.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

i'm terrible at telling when it is the right time to speak. timing is everything and mine leaves lots to be desired most of the time, so far.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:52 pm

If they start talking after you have just said a word or two, tell them "Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting."

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

spagheddie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2013, 7:55 pm

Yeah, I get this talked over alot... just getting cut off as if what you say isnt important.

Of course there is the step beyond being "talked over" that is even more insulting. Its when you go up to a person to start talking to them, you can tell that they notice you but dont even respond to anything your saying or even look at you while your talking. Not even acknowledging my presence while Im 2 feet away talking to them and for them to pretend Im not even there talking.... I think thats the biggest insult of all. I dont know why people do this? Do they not even deem me worthy of giving a response to?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:58 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
If they start talking after you have just said a word or two, tell them "Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting."
that is a priceless gem that is going into my helpful hints file. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:01 pm

spagheddie wrote:
Yeah, I get this talked over alot... just getting cut off as if what you say isnt important. Of course there is the step beyond being "talked over" that is even more insulting. Its when you go up to a person to start talking to them, you can tell that they notice you but dont even respond to anything your saying or even look at you while your talking. Not even acknowledging my presence while Im 2 feet away talking to them and for them to pretend Im not even there talking.... I think thats the biggest insult of all. I dont know why people do this? Do they not even deem me worthy of giving a response to?

:oops: I have been guilty of this though not because of any archness or arrogance, but simply because my brain was overloaded with too many people to respond to, so inevitably some fell through the cracks between my neurons. :oops: I am sure I am not the only one here with that problem. but I can assure you Spagheddie [for whatever it's worth to you] that I would not ignore you. :) at least not intentionally. :duh:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
that is a priceless gem that is going into my helpful hints file. :)

Thank you! If you say it with just the right tone of remorse and enthusiasm you can confuse the hell out of them. I put my hand over my mouth, widen my eyes and say "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be talking while you were interrupting. Go ahead. I'm sorry.!" and then look at them expectantly like I can't wait to hear what they say. Say it exactly like you would if you had interrupted them in the middle of some difficult, sincere, and painful confession of theirs.

Usually they don't know what to do. Which is my intent.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:29 pm

have you thought about acting at your local playhouse? I feel you have the talent.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2013, 10:51 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

I wish I could act and think on my toes well enough to do that. When I do manage to respond to being talked over, I usually come across rude, crass, and intentionally tacky.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:53 pm

having to do all these social maneuvers in real time without dropping the ball somewhere, is a very tall order.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:06 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I wish I could act and think on my toes well enough to do that. When I do manage to respond to being talked over, I usually come across rude, crass, and intentionally tacky.

It takes practice and it ain't easy at first but keep it up for decades and it does.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 2:35 am

My mom interrupts me all the time... drives me up the wall. It's like anything I've got to say is sooo unimportant to her. :roll:

Kafke
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2013, 4:13 am

I'm pretty much interrupted by everyone, including my own family. I can't get two words out without someone interrupting and if I try to go on I get yelled at for interrupting. What? I decided to keep track of when this happens. And I found it interesting that there's a "speaking order" of sorts.

It doesn't matter how loud or long the thing said is. No. It's always the same order of people. If you are "higher" on the list, you get priority. No. Matter. What. Doesn't matter how important, long, or loud it is. If you are higher up, you get to speak. Simple as that.

I've noticed this time and time again with each group of people. And for some reason I'm always at the bottom of said list, even if it's just me and someone else.

I sometimes don't get a chance to speak for so long I forget what it feels like to talk...

You are very likely an Aspie

ChristianFS1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2013, 6:26 am

i can definitely relate. not only have i experienced this in a setting with "friends", but now it's starting in my family, with me trying to say something and then a relative suddenly vocally collides mid-air with me. they always get the upperhand. i get told by my parents that i should both "speak slower, so that we can pick up what you are saying" and i get mean, condescending looks from them, with "wise words" about why i am bothering them. i always try to speak as quickly and in short sentences as possible because of this, because of my fear of getting shut up. now, it seems almost my entire family are as weird as me in different ways, which makes them incapable of understanding how i feel.

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2013, 8:12 am

I just talk louder and louder I make it obvious that im not going to cop that