Twice as good to be equal. Living in isolation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 6:11 pm

Seriously I cannot explain in words how frustrated I am. I've been trying to avoid overly negative tones, but the simple fact is you need to be twice as good to be equal while living in isolation. It's something you'll hear from many aspies that are struggling in the working world. It's nearly a fact that without working without other aspies in some form or another you'll always be taken for half your worth.

I'm not saying this to bring you down, I say this to alert of the very obvious problems we face living in isolation. So I ask why are you so willing sell yourself short by being isolated from the aspie community at large?

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 7:03 pm

Broadly speaking, I agree. Everybody has their own personnel challanges, NT or otherwise.

But for those of us who are not part of the 99% typicals; we do have to work harder to fit into the 99% society. Such is life.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 7:10 pm

GregCav wrote:
Broadly speaking, I agree. Everybody has their own personnel challanges, NT or otherwise.

But for those of us who are not part of the 99% typicals; we do have to work harder to fit into the 99% society. Such is life.
My question is why must we work so hard to fit in, couldn't we fit out, with a group of people that need the same kind considerations.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 8:49 pm

You mean work with just aspie types?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
You mean work with just aspie types?

Not work directly, but be in contact with on a rather regular basis.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:54 pm

I thought it had to do with how many aspies are in your area and like to get together with people. I'm probably oversimplifying a complex question. I guess it is being in the situation of working twice as hard and the payoff is being isolated. Even though it says you are 83, you sound young. I'm old and got used to the unfairness. Wrong Planet keeps me pretty happy. What kind of interaction were you looking for from the aspie community?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Jul 2013, 12:09 am

I don't know what living isolation has to do with working. You mean working at a job that only has NT's?

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 12:11 am

[quote="StoekMy question is why must we work so hard to fit in, couldn't we fit out, with a group of people that need the same kind considerations.[/quote]

A lot of people do opt out of society. They are the hermits, farmers (cow hands and such) and people who live and work alone. There is nothing stopping you from doing exactly that.

But if you want to have money, buy good things and live in a bustling town with amenities, you've got to live and work in society. And society is made up of the 99%.

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you’re getting at.

You talk about being twice as good just to live in isolation. I don't understand what you’re saying.
Also, many Aspies are very good at their jobs and are valued in the work force. I think you’re referring specifically to your circumstance.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 12:17 am

It sounds like he is lonely and depressed. If he does not enjoy his work, it is very frustrating to work hard and your only reward is to not be homeless.