How do u know if a guy is flirting with you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bazinga4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2013, 7:41 am

I was chatting to this cute guy recently.He gave me a few compliments and stuff like that which made me feel real awkward and he kept asking me loads of questions about me and when I said some of my answer he was like I knew u were going to say that which was weird.

What do u think?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:44 am

Ask him?

Also, where are you from on the island of Ireland? :)

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 7:59 am

Try flirting with him and see how he responds to it.

Bazinga4

29 Jul 2013, 8:31 am

I don't know if I should ask him.Imagine if he said no and was just being friendly then I would look like a complete ass. He asked me my age and then he told me his which I was shocked by.He is 34 so he is too old for me 14 years older than me but he looks like he is 25.I said to him you look younger than you are so I gave him a massive compliment and then he smiled and laughed.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:37 am

Kurgan wrote:
Try flirting with him and see how he responds to it.

I bet OP probably doesn't know how to flirt. So that's not good advice.

Bazinga4 wrote:
Imagine if he said no and was just being friendly then I would look like a complete ass.

I look like a complete ass most of the time. Men get rejected often and it's painful for us too.

A €10 note says he's interested.

Touch him back - on his arm, shoulder, hips, back (not all at once) - and see what happens. Give a sinful smile. Play with your hair. Mirror his actions. Touch your face.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 9:40 am

Bazinga4 wrote:
I don't know if I should ask him.Imagine if he said no and was just being friendly then I would look like a complete ass. He asked me my age and then he told me his which I was shocked by.He is 34 so he is too old for me 14 years older than me but he looks like he is 25.I said to him you look younger than you are so I gave him a massive compliment and then he smiled and laughed.

I'm 35 and I have approached women that I liked and only then found out they were just like you (age wise). No one has a perfect age-detector and then there is the obvious male preference for younger partners.

I get that same comment from younger women too. I *had* to grow a beard because I still get asked for ID at stores when I try to buy beer... I just have that kind of face (and it runs in the family... my mother is usually confused as my older sister..its hilarious and she loves it).

Honestly, even if I knew the girl was 14 years younger I'd still give it a try. It is her choice and not mine if things are to go anywhere.

Flirting is a very difficult skill for those with AS. The best alternative to it is to simply ask questions in return and keep answering the ones you get asked. Make it fun. If you are interested you can either wait to see if he will ask you out or take the initiative and ask him out for coffee or something. As always, do it safely: dates always must be in places where other people are around, never the two of you alone nor let him pick you up or get in a car with him, etc, etc. Not until you know the person better.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 2:20 pm

Tequila wrote:
Touch him back - on his arm, shoulder, hips, back (not all at once) - and see what happens. Give a sinful smile. Play with your hair. Mirror his actions. Touch your face.

This. Just a friendly smile on its own, as if you're very pleased to see him, will make him notice. Otherwise lightly touching him on the arm sends a definite signal without having to say anything.

Don't mirror his actions though - it will look obvious and weird.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:12 pm

After YEARS of having no idea before I turned about 21 and a half, I finally figured it out. They lean in toward you, push their shoulders back, and make their chest and body look more masculine. They also point their feet toward you and will not be looking around the room; their full attention will be on you. Another indicator is that their eyes will dilate. They tend to speak about themselves in a very positive light, so I can see how impressive they are. I'm always nice, no matter what; I don't want to make anyone feel bad. As long as they aren't being a jerk, which they rarely are. They're usually quite sweet. In order to avoid it, I tend to change the subject. Hopefully it stops once I'm wearing an engagement ring. There is definitely, now that I've figured it out, a difference between being friendly and flirting. I could never figure out when men were. I always felt awkward when engaging in conversation, even when ordering food.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm

smudge wrote:

It's something that people who are attracted often do subconsciously.

Doing it consciously will, as you say, probably come across as weird.

Try touching the shoulders too. If you do touch him during a conversation, don't do it more than about two to three times during a conversation though - otherwise you might look desperate.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm

Tequila wrote:
smudge wrote:

It's something that people who are attracted often do subconsciously.

I know that. :wink: But just imagine a really socially awkward person trying to mirror someone...sounds a recipe for disaster to me.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm

I usually only realise a few days later that I was flirted with :(