why do people bash islam but love christianity??

Page 1 of 22 [ 340 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:03 pm

a lot of killings in history were carried out by christians, many heretics burned at the stake, millions of muslims and jews slaughtered in the name of christ, yet it's called the religion of love and peace universally. in the bible a woman can't talk in church because it's shameful. WTH?? If this were islam the world would go on an islam bashing spree, but because it's christianity the world remains mute. in the bible apostates are to be killed on the spot. in the bible christ made a whip of cords and started whipping gamblers in the temple. in the bible humanity goes to hell just because adam ate from a tree, WTH??? In the Bible it's replete with contradictions (example: whoever sees jesus has seen god. yet in the bible it says that no one has ever seen god and lived). i could go on forever about this "religion of love" but this is ample evidence that christianity isn't something to brag about. but apparently most of the muslim haters are christians who purport to be followers of a holy pure religion. anyone who's ever read the bible will find such a statement ludicrous and hypocritical. some of my dearest teachers are christians and i love them fervently like parents, but the moment i see a christian bashing islam to elevate christianity i facepalm myself and cringe at how pervasive this hypocrisy has become. an atheist who bashes islam probably misunderstands islam. even if islam is a cult (for the sake of argument let's just say that it is a cult), a christian who bashes islam is a hypocrite. in fact, a lot of the facets of islam's doctrine that are maligned are magnified in the bible. for example, like i mentioned earlier people hate islam because women pray behind men. in christianity women can't speak in church. yet look which religions gets all the bashing. despicable

it's sad that everyone hate mongers islam and rides the anti islam bandwagon but everyone is tight lipped about Christianity and afraid to scrutinize their doctrine. why must muslims always be the stigma of humanity and maligned so ardently?? i dont hate christians but am aggravated by the sheer hypocrisy by christians who scrutinize islam so ardently and cherry pick verses to bash islam, but turn a blind eye away from their religion which is replete with contradictions and barbarism. id rather have an atheist bash both religions then a christian who vilifies islam but venerates christianity

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:13 pm

salad wrote:
a lot of killings in history were carried out by christians...

Answered your own question in the first sentence, people tend to be more outraged by things occurring in the present than what happened in the past, generally speaking.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:
salad wrote:

Answered your own question in the first sentence, people tend to be more outraged by things occurring in the present than what happened in the past, generally speaking.

another reason why i am aggravated by christians. they extenuate and undermine the heinous actions that they've committed which are copious and can enumerate volumes by the premise that just because it happened in the past it's obsolete and trifle, despite the fact that the cry "never forgiven, never forgotten" for 9/11 reverberates the air until this day. i bet you even hundreds of years from now they're still gonna be crying over it. yet these same cry babies treat every action of theirs as a moot point only because it happened in history. the salems witch trials were only a few centuries ago. the KKK was terrorizing blacks not too many decades ago.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm

I don't worry about it. Nobody has any reason to hate Pagans.

Well, some Christians do. Because we aren't Christian.

Muslims don't bother me. Neither do Christians. As long as the Muslims aren't flying planes into buildings and trying to blow up races and as long as the Christians aren't blowing up Federal Buildings or abortion clinics, I'm fine with them.

Out of the big three religions, the Jews are the only ones who haven't just snapped and killed a lot of people for disagreeing with them. I like them best.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

salad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
salad wrote:

another reason why i am aggravated by christians. they extenuate and undermine the heinous actions that they've committed which are copious and can enumerate volumes by the premise that just because it happened in the past it's obsolete and trifle, despite the fact that the cry "never forgiven, never forgotten" for 9/11 reverberates the air until this day. i bet you even hundreds of years from now they're still gonna be crying over it. yet these same cry babies treat every action of theirs as a moot point only because it happened in history. the salems witch trials were only a few centuries ago. the KKK was terrorizing blacks not too many decades ago.

The practices of the Christian religion as a whole have grown out of the barbarism phase that Islam openly practices and condones to this day. Christianity can't change it's checkered past but Islam can change its present and future conduct.
There lies the biggest difference between the two in practical terms.

wreck1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

[29.46] And do not dispute with the followers of the Book (Christians and Jews) except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit.

We are friends really. But you do have a point. I happen to be muslim and i know islam better than non-muslims. I would like to think that the best people are always worst thought of in this world. Only hypocrites comes through in our world.

Just see the beginning here in this chapter, the hypocrites.hti.umich.edu

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Raptor wrote:
salad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
salad wrote:

The practices of the Christian religion as a whole have grown out of the barbarism phase that Islam openly practices and condones to this day. Christianity can't change it's checkered past but Islam can change its present and future conduct.

As mentioned above, christians still blow up abportion clinics and other do unsavoury things... I think in general, people need to accept and respect their religious beliefs are not the only way, and that each individual has the right to choose their own path. Until every human does this, there will be problems.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Christianity has become largely detoxified since the Enlightenment. The same cannot be said of Islam.

ruveyn

wreck1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2013, 3:48 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I don't worry about it. Nobody has any reason to hate Pagans.

Well, some Christians do. Because we aren't Christian.

Muslims don't bother me. Neither do Christians. As long as the Muslims aren't flying planes into buildings and trying to blow up races and as long as the Christians aren't blowing up Federal Buildings or abortion clinics, I'm fine with them.

Out of the big three religions, the Jews are the only ones who haven't just snapped and killed a lot of people for disagreeing with them. I like them best.

Excuze me?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:54 pm

Raptor wrote:
salad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
salad wrote:

see, that's where the confusion arises. there are millions of muslims condemning terrorism, yet the media and their yellow journalists find such stories unappealing versus stories such as "muslim orders killing of jews". the media is a lot more pervasive and influential than we think. and to be frank i dont trust the media. this weapon of mass deception is far more insidious and subtle than can be conceived. i find it naive to trust the media. i actually grew up muslim, in a large muslim community, with a big muslim family and am far too aware that the media exaggerates and tries to stir up hysteria. however i am ashamed of the actions of these terrorists and condemn them.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:55 pm

EmberEyes wrote:
As mentioned above, christians still blow up abportion clinics and other do unsavoury things...

An individual here and there that might be a Christian does that from time to time.
None of the major Christian denominations in this day and age condones it.
Can you say the same for Islam?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

Christianity has been bashed quite a lot, perhaps more than necessary (depends on one's level of exposure I suppose).

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

Most such people realise that most Western Christians don't follow their book to the letter and that the likes of Westboro who follow the more hateful parts are the exceptions, rather than the rules.

They don't realise that the same is true of Western Muslims. They're essentially normal people who eat different meat and fast for one month in eleven. There are a few horrible people who are Muslims, and there are horrible people who do horrible things in the name of Islam, but these people are a small minority.

It is true that far more horrible things are done in the name of Islam in Islamic countries (e.g. severe punishments for rape victims, denial of education to girls), but that doesn't seem to be why Islamophobes hate Muslims so much, because they'll often say things like "I wish all the Muslims would just go back to Pakistan".

I despise religious extremism in all its forms, but I also despise the levels of hatred directed towards innocent Muslims.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

salad wrote:
a lot of killings in history were carried out by christians, many heretics burned at the stake, millions of muslims and jews slaughtered in the name of christ, yet it's called the religion of love and peace universally. in the bible a woman can't talk in church because it's shameful. WTH?? If this were islam the world would go on an islam bashing spree, but because it's christianity the world remains mute. in the bible apostates are to be killed on the spot. in the bible christ made a whip of cords and started whipping gamblers in the temple. in the bible humanity goes to hell just because adam ate from a tree, WTH??? In the Bible it's replete with contradictions (example: whoever sees jesus has seen god. yet in the bible it says that no one has ever seen god and lived). i could go on forever about this "religion of love" but this is ample evidence that christianity isn't something to brag about. but apparently most of the muslim haters are christians who purport to be followers of a holy pure religion. anyone who's ever read the bible will find such a statement ludicrous and hypocritical. some of my dearest teachers are christians and i love them fervently like parents, but the moment i see a christian bashing islam to elevate christianity i facepalm myself and cringe at how pervasive this hypocrisy has become. an atheist who bashes islam probably misunderstands islam. even if islam is a cult (for the sake of argument let's just say that it is a cult), a christian who bashes islam is a hypocrite. in fact, a lot of the facets of islam's doctrine that are maligned are magnified in the bible. for example, like i mentioned earlier people hate islam because women pray behind men. in christianity women can't speak in church. yet look which religions gets all the bashing. despicable

it's sad that everyone hate mongers islam and rides the anti islam bandwagon but everyone is tight lipped about Christianity and afraid to scrutinize their doctrine. why must muslims always be the stigma of humanity and maligned so ardently?? i dont hate christians but am aggravated by the sheer hypocrisy by christians who scrutinize islam so ardently and cherry pick verses to bash islam, but turn a blind eye away from their religion which is replete with contradictions and barbarism. id rather have an atheist bash both religions then a christian who vilifies islam but venerates christianity

salad, you have already demonstrated a profound ignorance of your own religion (Islam) on WP in previous posts, so your comparisons are questionable, at best.

You also fail to take into account that Islamic Law (Sharia) is the supreme law of the land in many countries in the world. Christian Law (if it even exists) is not - except the 110 hectares of the Vatican City. I could care less about what the Quran and Hadith said if it wasn't for the fact that these words are considered to be law by hundreds of millions of people, and that violations of these laws are often met with extreme and bloody reactions.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

GGPViper wrote:
I could care less about what the Quran and Hadith said if it wasn't for the fact that these words are considered to be law by hundreds of millions of people, and that violations of these laws are often met with extreme and bloody reactions.

That's probably the first time I've seen someone use the phrase "I could care less" in a way that both makes sense and reflects what they seem to be trying to say.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 4:19 pm

GGPViper wrote:
salad, you have already demonstrated a profound ignorance of your own religion (Islam) on WP in previous posts, so your comparisons are questionable, at best.

You also fail to take into account that Islamic Law (Sharia) is the supreme law of the land in many countries in the world. Christian Law (if it even exists) is not - except the 110 hectares of the Vatican City. I could care less about what the Quran and Hadith said if it wasn't for the fact that these words are considered to be law by hundreds of millions of people, and that violations of these laws are often met with extreme and bloody reactions.

Exactly.

I am no fan of Christianity. Not at all. I would like to see its remaining political influence permanently extinguished from this country. I want to see a secular state.

If there is a case of an Islamic country being genuinely secular and liberal in history, I'd love to hear about it.

There probably is much will in a few of the OIC countries for a more liberal society - like in Iran - but the critical mass is just not there yet.

That's what the OP doesn't understand: many of the people who criticise Islam in the UK and in Europe are not Christian, but are actually atheist. We don't want to have removed our shackles of one form of religious illiberalism only to be forced into another pair of shackles.