Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm

Have you guys ever noticed this? Like, for example, when I got into a wreck 10 years ago or so, and told my story to the police, something completely different from what I intended to say came up in the police report. In addition, I was telling my therapist something and I gave the wrong impression.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

It can be a matter of how well others listen. This happens all the time. Most people don't care to write stuff down so that it reflects the idea being communicated to them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Aug 2013, 3:08 pm

my speech tends to be precise but that precision sometimes leads people to conclusions that make no sense to me.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm

People often misunderstand me for a variety of reasons...using borrowed words, missing out pieces of information others need to know to understand me, using words wrong, complex social-context issues, being unable to summarize...

Love transcends all.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2013, 3:28 pm

Verdandi wrote:
my speech tends to be precise but that precision sometimes leads people to conclusions that make no sense to me.
This

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:29 pm

This is an example: I was telling my therapist about a strange experience I had in the past week. I went to the grocery store and felt drawn to a particular U-Scan (a machine where you can scan your items yourself instead of having to wait for a cashier), but a family was moving to that one, so I went to another. When there I thought I should have gone to the one that would protect me from dying. I know, the experience was weird. That's why I told my therapist.

When I told him, however, I told him something along the lines of the machine I went to would cause me to die. And when he asked me for clarification, because he was going to write down a note including it to send to my psychiatrist, I had to tell him what I said above, and he said that he needed clarification "because it was different from what you had said."

That's the kind of imprecision I'm talking about, where it's usually certain details that I may get wrong. It makes me afraid to speak to the police now, if I ever had to, because they might get the wrong impression and turn around and accuse me of lying.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:38 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
People often misunderstand me for a variety of reasons...using borrowed words, missing out pieces of information others need to know to understand me, using words wrong, complex social-context issues, being unable to summarize...

Ja, I think this is my issue too. I have a bad tendency to not see what my listeners may or may not understand.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

My problem is that I expect people to know what I'm thinking so I don't bother to tell the full story. This is something I'm working on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm

I find it useful to write things down in a well-worked-over script before I actually speak things to people.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I find it useful to write things down in a well-worked-over script before I actually speak things to people.

The majority of what I say to people is cribbed from my own writing, often forum posts.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:03 pm

I doubt that I could actually remember anything I've told people here on WP. so in situations like visits to doctors' offices and such, I write anew a usable script pertinent to the situation. at the very least I use bullet points to jog my memory.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

beneficii wrote:
Have you guys ever noticed this? Like, for example, when I got into a wreck 10 years ago or so, and told my story to the police, something completely different from what I intended to say came up in the police report. In addition, I was telling my therapist something and I gave the wrong impression.

Police can be very lazy in filling out traffic reports ( if no one is hurt a typical officer would rather let the two insurance companies fight it out). Stand up comic Mike Berbiglia had a whole monologue about how he got wrongly blamed for an accident. The police report said things like "car A did this, and did that, and then it hit car A ( the cop had him somehow colliding with himself!).

Annaliina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm

Verdandi wrote:
For my neurology, I'm a A=>B=>C thinker, bu because other people don't make associations the same way I've had to pain stakingly learn the right words to let them know they aren't getting it. Its only through writing down an essay for my therapist that I was able to explain that I'm not dxplaining/bein recieved a cording to what I'm a tually trying to communicate.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:45 pm

Verdandi wrote:

This happens to me often. I have no idea why.

Quintex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 6:51 pm

I tend to use obscure references that don't make sense to anyone but me. Seems to sometimes cause misunderstandings.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:

    Exactly!