Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ccrary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2013, 6:45 am

My son is 3 years old and just recently diagnosed with autism. I have three nephews also on the spectrum with varying levels of functioning. My son is big for his age and is beginning to outgrow a basic umbrella stroller. I have a large jogger stroller but would prefer to use something smaller more like an umbrella stroller. He does well when I use his backpack leash so many times I do not even take the stoller anymore but there are occassions where it is safer for him to be in one. Any recommendations in a stroller that will fit a larger toddler that is also more like an umbrella stroller? My daughter stopped needing a stroller around 3 and a half years old but since my son is not talking and wanders off if not contained, he is not reay to be completely done with the stroller so I am looking to downsize my stroller while still fitting him into it. Thanks!

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:50 am

We are going through the same thing and my son is 5. We still use the same umbrella stroller we used when my son was 2-3 and it's ready to fall apart. I don't think they make ones for bigger kids.

I found a jogger on Craig's List and have started using that.

At one point a nurse had recommended to us looking into medical equipment. Maybe you could ask your son's doctor about that.

ccrary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2013, 7:16 am

Hmmm...I'm seeing an invention opportunity here. Umbrella strollers for larger toddlers or kids who simply still need a stroller when they at 4 or 5 (or like my son the size of a 4 or 5 year old at 3 years old). :). Inwould love to be done with having to use a stroller but I know for safety there are still situations where my son needs to be in one.

ccrary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2013, 7:18 am

I found a big kid stroller for autism when searching on line. I can't post the link since I am new to the forum but it was on the autism parents dot net site.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:03 am

The good news is that my son is finally starting to walk with us...he still tends to flop down when he doesn't like the place or wants to be carried sometimes though...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsPictureShow

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:05 am

Get a handicapped stroller but those things are expensive. I hope you have the money for one.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:06 am

I used to have a Maclaren 'volo' which works pretty well for bigger kids. They are pretty expensive, but I bought mine used for a fraction of the price. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a local neighborhood list serve, or Craiglist you can see if you can get one.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:38 am

would a smaller foldable-type jogger work?
I found this, it is not very expensive, and seems sturdy if possibly a bit tippy as it has a short wheel base.
jogger

zette
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 2:38 pm

Babies R Us used to have a brand called Chicos that had an umbrella style stroller that was on the large side. It was more sturdy than a typical umbrella stroller. I think we paid about $50 for it.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:00 pm

I think there are umbrella strollers and umbrella strollers, too: we bought one for DS when we went on a trip for the reasons mentioned here, and we found a slightly sturdier one at one of those 'R Us stores that worked relatively well for a long time. You wind up having to spend more, but not as much as a jogging stroller...

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm

Wreck-Gar wrote:
We are going through the same thing and my son is 5. We still use the same umbrella stroller we used when my son was 2-3 and it's ready to fall apart. I don't think they make ones for bigger kids.

The Maclaren Volo I had definitely works for bigger kids. Also, I was with a family yesterday visiting from out of town and they had what looked like one of the Chico ones (as Zette mentioned) that they were using for their very tall and sturdy 4 year old. Seriously, their 4 year old daughter was at least a few inches taller and much broader than my 6 year old son. She was a little big for it, but it was working fine.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

Here's a review site of umbrella strollers - the one they mention that works for bigger kids looks like the one we used: http://www.consumersearch.com/umbrella-strollers/review

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:40 pm

Fitzi wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

The Maclaren Volo I had definitely works for bigger kids. Also, I was with a family yesterday visiting from out of town and they had what looked like one of the Chico ones (as Zette mentioned) that they were using for their very tall and sturdy 4 year old. Seriously, their 4 year old daughter was at least a few inches taller and much broader than my 6 year old son. She was a little big for it, but it was working fine.

Disclaimer: I don't know how much your child weighs. The girl yesterday looked to be at least 50-60 pounds, but I don't know what the actual weight recommendations for the strollers are.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm

Until this thread, I didn't even know they were called "umbrella strollers."

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsPictureShow