Page 14 of 15 [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 12:07 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Tross wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I find a conservative society sounds easier for me to put up with compared to a liberal society.
Depends if you're talking about real liberals or the fake ones. SJWs and extreme left groups like ANTIFA are fake liberals.
But all liberals are SJWs. Right?
I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not, but no. Although the term "SJW" has been used quite loosely in the last couple years, not all Liberals are that extreme. Also, the main reason I don't believe SJWs are real Liberals is because one of the cores of Liberalism is a push for equality for all. In these more extreme groups I'm seeing a push to address women's issues and minority issues, but they're turning a blind eye to male and Caucasian issues. For example, some businesses and even entire industries have a quota where at least a certain number or percentage of their staff have to be either female or non-white, but no such quota exists for white guys. I believe in the glass ceiling and all, but what about what I like to call the glass wall, which makes it so much more difficult to land a job if you're white and male? Personally, I'm all for shattering both.

The point is, if Liberalism is founded on the idea of equality for all, that's something even white guys can have too. Advocating on behalf of some groups while turning a blind eye to the issues of others is therefore, not Liberalism. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a group focusing on the issues of one subset of the general population, but as a general philosophy people who claim to be Liberal should believe in true equality. Inequality is inequality no matter which group is getting the short end of the stick. Ergo, I don't believe SJWs are true Liberals.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 12:23 am

Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:
Nope. I absolutely HATE modern liberals. They are the most annoying people in the WORLD right now.
Kid, given your age you probably just think that because you disagree with them politically. As someone who's more or less centre though, I've seen Conservatives do more of what annoys me, which is derailing discussions to add in issues of identity where there is none, getting offended by the dumbest things, and boycotting stuff because someone either says or does something they don't agree with. Up to a couple years ago, I would have agreed with you and I'm sure there are still annoying liberals around, but nine times out of ten it's actually been the conservatives who have been annoying as heck, often at the drop of a hat. They actually act like the right-wing equivalent of the worst sort of feminists and race activists that they criticize and are often Anita Sarkeesian bad except worse, because there are more of them.

In my experience, the reverse is more true.

Not that there aren't any annoying conservatives at all, but on average, I just prefer the ideas of those on the right more than the left.

I think a lot more people find the left to be annoying after witnessing their post election conduct.

Funny, because I came to a similar conclusion about Conservatives after witnessing their ongoing conduct since the election. :roll:

Yeah, what with all the crying, rioting, assaults, arson, and more crying, that the right did in "protest" after the election and inauguration.
What was I thinking....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
What the left-wing rioters did was indeed annoying and put not only property but lives at risk. I heard that in one city someone died because the ambulance they were in couldn't get to the hospital on time due to the rioting. Those protests only lasted for a time though. Since then I've seen way more irritating activity from the right. Maybe my problem is I spend too much time on the internet but I've seen way more whining about things from the right.

For example, Conservatives are applauding Far Cry 5 for not portraying them in a negative light as the devs decided to be apolitical at the last minute, but when it was announced that the game would take place in Rural America you should have heard all the whining about how offended they were about that. It's not just that either. There are tons of comments about people on the right boycotting Hollywood and the NFL and any number of other things because they are offended that people involved in either entertainment sphere share different political views than them. Then there are the really stupid "boycotts" like some gun enthusiasts shooting their Yeti coolers over the company severing ties with the NRA. What's stupid about that is they just ruined their expensive coolers and Yeti already has their money, so it's not actually a boycott.

All I'm saying is that I've seen a lot less whining about things from the left. You're welcome to weigh in with your personal observations. I'm not far from the centre politically, so the only bias I'm bringing to the table is my bias against whining and derailing conversations just to add in some political angle.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 5:43 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:
Nope. I absolutely HATE modern liberals. They are the most annoying people in the WORLD right now.
Kid, given your age you probably just think that because you disagree with them politically. As someone who's more or less centre though, I've seen Conservatives do more of what annoys me, which is derailing discussions to add in issues of identity where there is none, getting offended by the dumbest things, and boycotting stuff because someone either says or does something they don't agree with. Up to a couple years ago, I would have agreed with you and I'm sure there are still annoying liberals around, but nine times out of ten it's actually been the conservatives who have been annoying as heck, often at the drop of a hat. They actually act like the right-wing equivalent of the worst sort of feminists and race activists that they criticize and are often Anita Sarkeesian bad except worse, because there are more of them.

Not that there aren't any annoying conservatives at all, but on average, I just prefer the ideas of those on the right more than the left.

I think a lot more people find the left to be annoying after witnessing their post election conduct.

Funny, because I came to a similar conclusion about Conservatives after witnessing their ongoing conduct since the election. :roll:

Yeah, what with all the crying, rioting, assaults, arson, and more crying, that the right did in "protest" after the election and inauguration.
What was I thinking....

Yep. That's what the majority of liberals did after the election. After all a guy like you would be above cherry picking. Right?

Can you find me some videos of conservatives rioting like that after Obama got elected twice?

I never said they did. Finding a small minority of conservatives rioting would still be cherry picking.

But nice try at misdirection. Using tit for tat tactics instead of addressing the actual point. It could have worked :wink:

Whatever, but don't be surprised if when the elections draw near the republicans use some of those video clips to remind the voters of how the left acted. I don't think they'll need reminded, but...

Don't worry. I won't be surprised if the republicans resort to that kind of mudslinging. In fact it will probably be both sides.

Mudslinging and politics go hand in hand and I'm not going to lose any sleep waiting for that to change.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 5:55 am

Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

What was I thinking....
What the left-wing rioters did was indeed annoying and put not only property but lives at risk. I heard that in one city someone died because the ambulance they were in couldn't get to the hospital on time due to the rioting. Those protests only lasted for a time though. Since then I've seen way more irritating activity from the right. Maybe my problem is I spend too much time on the internet but I've seen way more whining about things from the right.

For example, Conservatives are applauding Far Cry 5 for not portraying them in a negative light as the devs decided to be apolitical at the last minute, but when it was announced that the game would take place in Rural America you should have heard all the whining about how offended they were about that. It's not just that either. There are tons of comments about people on the right boycotting Hollywood and the NFL and any number of other things because they are offended that people involved in either entertainment sphere share different political views than them. Then there are the really stupid "boycotts" like some gun enthusiasts shooting their Yeti coolers over the company severing ties with the NRA. What's stupid about that is they just ruined their expensive coolers and Yeti already has their money, so it's not actually a boycott.

All I'm saying is that I've seen a lot less whining about things from the left. You're welcome to weigh in with your personal observations. I'm not far from the centre politically, so the only bias I'm bringing to the table is my bias against whining and derailing conversations just to add in some political angle.

[sarcasm]Oh I totally agree. Shooting one's own cooler is far worse than rioting and arson.[/sarcasm]

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 9:45 am

Raptor wrote:
Mudslinging and politics go hand in hand and I'm not going to lose any sleep waiting for that to change.

I only think that political mudslinging is good when my opponent hasn't made his/her position clear and cannot answer basic questions.

For example, I generally let myself get angry when my opponent is very vaguely talking about a "Satanic globalist conspiracy". I can't take that sort of hysteria seriously. Nobody should.

That being said, I generally take my opponent seriously when he/she has a coherent position. When we take coherent positions seriously, this raises the level of political dialogue, and allows everyone to clarify their position.

Whenever mudslinging becomes ubiquitous in politics, extremism and hyperbole rise to the surface.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 1:33 pm

Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

What was I thinking....

[sarcasm]Oh I totally agree. Shooting one's own cooler is far worse than rioting and arson.[/sarcasm]

It's not worse, but that was unbelievably stupid. It's as if Conservatives want people to think they're morons. I wonder why smart Conservatives aren't disowning them? What the rioters did after the election was wrong even if I do understand their mindset (no one in their right mind would want a moron in charge of their country). Your argument was that Liberals are the most annoying however, and as the riots have since died down I have to disagree. I'm not hearing nearly as much whining from the left as I am from the right in 2018. Maybe you do have a case for Liberals taking the cake in late 2016 and early 2017, but they seem to have quieted down since then. Annoying is annoying regardless of political affiliation and I have to call it like it is.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 2:32 pm

Tross wrote:
It's not worse, but that was unbelievably stupid. It's as if Conservatives want people to think they're morons. I wonder why smart Conservatives aren't disowning them?

What do you mean by "smart conservatives"? Are you referring to people like Carl "Sargon of Akkad" Benjamin?

From what I've seen, most "smart conservatives" seem to obsess over extreme leftists. Their arguments are often correct, but they generally have their priorities in the wrong order.

Quote:
What the rioters did after the election was wrong even if I do understand their mindset (no one in their right mind would want a moron in charge of their country). Your argument was that Liberals are the most annoying however, and as the riots have since died down I have to disagree. I'm not hearing nearly as much whining from the left as I am from the right in 2018. Maybe you do have a case for Liberals taking the cake in late 2016 and early 2017, but they seem to have quieted down since then. Annoying is annoying regardless of political affiliation and I have to call it like it is.

The left is less whiny now because the Sanders movement is really taking off. Trump's approval rating is still very low. The country can see that the left was right about him.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 5:59 pm

Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

What was I thinking....

Rioting still happens regularly in big cities. Portland seems to have one every 1-2 weeks.
And every week at least the left calls for impeaching trump since he was elected. Elected democrats politicians are acting like kids. And then there’s the left media which is trump trump trump trump every day all day.
So the left has never stopped since before the election when they started

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 6:02 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I think both conservatives and liberals hate me.

This

In what way do they each hate you?

Left hates me cause I support laws which include immigration I’m pro constitution which means I’m pro gun and against violating peoples civil rights

Right hates me cause I’m on welfare and pro welfare.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 6:05 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Tross wrote:
It's not worse, but that was unbelievably stupid. It's as if Conservatives want people to think they're morons. I wonder why smart Conservatives aren't disowning them?

What do you mean by "smart conservatives"? Are you referring to people like Carl "Sargon of Akkad" Benjamin?

From what I've seen, most "smart conservatives" seem to obsess over extreme leftists. Their arguments are often correct, but they generally have their priorities in the wrong order.

Quote:
What the rioters did after the election was wrong even if I do understand their mindset (no one in their right mind would want a moron in charge of their country). Your argument was that Liberals are the most annoying however, and as the riots have since died down I have to disagree. I'm not hearing nearly as much whining from the left as I am from the right in 2018. Maybe you do have a case for Liberals taking the cake in late 2016 and early 2017, but they seem to have quieted down since then. Annoying is annoying regardless of political affiliation and I have to call it like it is.

The left is less whiny now because the Sanders movement is really taking off. Trump's approval rating is still very low. The country can see that the left was right about him.
There are Conservatives out there who aren't wasting their efforts on mud slinging or acting exactly like the abhorrent stereotypes the left has applied to them. There are also Conservatives who aren't trying to deny science or grasp onto outlier studies just because the truth is inconvenient for their point of view. These individuals may be focused on the economy but they seek real solutions.

For example, they will acknowledge that global warming/climate change is a thing and that it's aggravated by human activity, and instead focus their efforts on making actual specious arguments such as that carbon taxes aren't a real solution that will solve our environmental problem (which I actually agree with). They also won't advocate for racism or sexism, but will instead argue that it's unfair for industries to favour people of a particular race or gender. These are Conservatives I have respect for. The mudslingers on the other hand, need to STFU.

Sounds to me like the Liberals will be whiny again if the wind stops blowing their way. In that case my stance on them is no different from the stance I have on mudslinging Conservatives. Anyone who isn't part of the solution is part of the problem. Is the US political sphere really founded on an us vs them mentality with the sense that only one side or the other can be satisfied at any given time? I don't think the current president is part of the solution either. I think he's just making tensions worse.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 6:11 pm

sly279 wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

What was I thinking....

Rioting still happens regularly in big cities. Portland seems to have one every 1-2 weeks.
And every week at least the left calls for impeaching trump since he was elected. Elected democrats politicians are acting like kids. And then there’s the left media which is trump trump trump trump every day all day.
I see. I wasn't aware the riots continued. The current US president acts like a kid all the time though. I fail to see how it's any different when he acts that way just because he's the president. It is amazing how many comedians are banking on this moron though. I think the right just lacks a sense of humour. These individuals do need more material though. That's why I prefer John Oliver to Seth Myers.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 7:19 pm

Tross wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tross wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Tross wrote:
Biskit69 wrote:

What was I thinking....

I see. I wasn't aware the riots continued. The current US president acts like a kid all the time though. I fail to see how it's any different when he acts that way just because he's the president. It is amazing how many comedians are banking on this moron though. I think the right just lacks a sense of humour. These individuals do need more material though. That's why I prefer John Oliver to Seth Myers.

Conservatives ran McCain/Palin and you say they have no sense of humor? Come on, you can’t run THAT on a ticket and honestly expect a win. That was a Hail Mary if there ever was one. Even though we lost, it was still good for some laughs.

On a side note, I’m glad to see McCain go. I just wish it were under better circumstances. It leaves me wondering which RINO out there will step up to fill the void. #draintheswamp

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 7:31 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Whenever mudslinging becomes ubiquitous in politics, extremism and hyperbole rise to the surface.

Ah, but that's the good stuff. :D
All the mudslinging, extremism, hyperbole, strawmen, ad hominems, red herrings, dog whistles, and acts of trollery so profound that decorum prohibits listing them here.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 9:04 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Tross wrote:

I don't think Sargon would qualify as a smart conservative because Sargon has repeatedly said that he's a liberal.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 9:41 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Tross wrote:

I don't think Sargon would qualify as a smart conservative because Sargon has repeatedly said that he's a liberal.

Sargon says that he is a "real liberal" and he considers leftist liberals to be fake liberals.

Overall, Sargon is a right-libertarian. He tends to agree with conservatives most of the time, and his fan base is right-wing for the most part.

Who else could be considered a "smart conservative"? John Kasich?

I guess Kasich could be considered a "smart conservative" ... but he has very little social/political influence, since he has no charisma and has a bland personality.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 8:06 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Tross wrote:

Sargon says that he is a "real liberal" and he considers leftist liberals to be fake liberals.

Overall, Sargon is a right-libertarian. He tends to agree with conservatives most of the time, and his fan base is right-wing for the most part.

Who else could be considered a "smart conservative"? John Kasich?

I guess Kasich could be considered a "smart conservative" ... but he has very little social/political influence, since he has no charisma and has a bland personality.
I wasn't talking about specific individuals, but just in general. There are some people who identify as Conservative with whom I may not agree with on everything, but who are at least sharp-minded individuals who can justify their position without devolving into mud-slinging and who don't ignore the facts just because they can't handle the truth. I can respect someone who's rational regardless of their beliefs. It's the irrational people I have issue with.