Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zwapp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2013, 4:01 am

so I've been invited to one, though I am reluctant to go partly because I have little to reunite for, I don't see myself gaining much of meeting them, and I never last long in parties anyway.

just putting it out here to get some other's opinion, havent really thought much myself about it.

Astera
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2013, 5:10 am

I've always declined the invitations to school reunions for the same reasons - I don't like parties and I don't really miss those people (they weren't bad, I just have nothing to talk to them about).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:12 am

The best place to test out the fission device you've been building in your shed.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:20 am

In HS there are school reunions, but I've always been able to get away with them.
Teachers knew since the beginning that I had Asperger's and ADHD-PI (my mother told them), therefore I could get away with school reunions whenever I wanted to and no one ever said anything about it.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 5:42 am

Zwapp wrote:
so I've been invited to one, though I am reluctant to go partly because I have little to reunite for, I don't see myself gaining much of meeting them, and I never last long in parties anyway.

just putting it out here to get some other's opinion, havent really thought much myself about it.

Just putting it out there sharing my experience.

The first reunion I went to, which was a ten year reunion, ended with me and a bunch of others in a brawl at a bus stop.
Somehow I managed to escape and catch a taxi home. Apparently some ended up spending the night in a police lockup.

The next reunion, five years later, saw me being picked on yet again.
This time I had been studying to be a karate instructor, and a very unwise friend decided to tell others about this.
Someone wanted to test my training and challenged me to a fight.
I excused myself and went to the toilet, then went out a different door and went home.

I don't do school reunions anymore, my 20th reunion has been and gone and I had no intention of attending and no intention of attending further reunions.
Firstly, I left prior to graduation, secondly, I chanced schools after year 9, so there are 2 schools I went to, neither of which I graduated from.
Thirdly, I did not make any lifelong friends, or even friends I see a point in catching up with in such a contrived situation as a school reunion, so if I were to catch up with old school friends, it would not be at a reunion.

Some may agree with me, some may not, but the reality is I was bullied from kindergarten until I left school (midway through year 11), so I see no point in subjecting myself to more of the same as an adult, and an adult increasingly progressing into middle age at that.

So, I'd say only go to a school reunion if there is a particular friend you want to catch up with who wants to go, whom you are certain will stick by you through the experience, and who will make the experience worthwhile for you, otherwise you are leaving yourself open to reliving unpleasant memories.
That's my opinion, and you should balance this against any other advice given.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:46 am

A high-school reunion?

I'd rather have my wisdom teeth extracted again.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:59 am

Well I have not been invited to a school reunion, I am almost looking forward to writing the letter rejecting the invitation.

Given the choice I would rather go for root canel treatment than go to a school reunion.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:48 am

Fnord wrote:
A high-school reunion?

I'd rather have my wisdom teeth extracted again.

I would rather be executed by Machine gun then go to a school reunion at the primary school I went to. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:31 pm

This year would have been my 20th high school reunion. At least it would have been if I hadn't quit school at 16 and wasn't in special classes and schools since 7th grade (a different one every year). The last time I even saw any of the people I was supposed to graduate with was 6th grade and I don't even remember most of them. I'd never want to see any of them again.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:39 pm

What's school reunion?

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:48 pm

There was going to be one last December but it was cancelled because too few could come, I'll definitely come if there is one soon.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm

I have never been invited to any of mine.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

EDIT: the one I described as school reunions in my previous post were actually meant to be school parties and school assemblies.
Again, I misunderstood the meaning of "school reunions" (I always get confused about it).

However, I don't think I'm ever going to be invited to one of those gatherings with old schoolmates, and even if I were ever invited to one I don't think I would go.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

I'd rather work....if it were on a Saturday, I'd even ask the parts director to authorize me to work overtime on the Saturday of such a reunion so I could then tell my former classmates that I chose working extra over seeing them again. ........Or I'd bring my friend from the Calgary branch, the parts director, and a few parts guys and let the fun begin :twisted:

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2013, 5:34 pm

I finally went to one, the 30th, but didn't enjoy it much. It was held in too small and too loud of a room, exactly where I can't concentrate let alone "mingle." And none of the 4-5 people I'd really like to see turned up. Only "plus" was at this age everybody's pretty much over cliques, in-groups, posing, and other stupid games.

I'll attend future reunions only if I know certain people will be there, and even then I'll plan to arrive late and leave early.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:53 pm

After graduating from high-school I never kept in touch with any of my class mates. When the 20th graduation anniversary came up I was tracked down by a girl who asked if I would attend. I didn't hold back and told her how much I hated them. She didn't give it a second thought and did not care that I was not going to attend. The end.

School reunions for me would be like a holocaust survivor being asked to attend Nazi reunion.