Wouldn't it be cool if Aspies went and formed an Aspie city?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 8:05 am

Gazelle wrote:
Also a school for Aspies would be helpful and realistic and has been done in the past and present.

Yeah I think that could be really usefull or also living in a flatshare together with other autistics, but NOT an entire city that's really like ghetto.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 10:23 am

I'd like to visit such a city, but it would be a lot tougher to decide if I want to move there.

If there's a deliberate effort to exclude NTs, I'm not going to like living there, because I have NT family and friends. But if NTs are welcome but AS are the majority, it could be a really neat place.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 10:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWg2vLEyRZc[/youtube]

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Seems like a lot of people have that same idea. To wit:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt129348.html

I'd refer to (LINK) An (Urban) AS Community? for a more in depth discussion of something that may be more along the lines of the OP.

And what would be so wrong about an Aspie community? Just to name two issues, it would be a location where our verbal and non-verbal communication style is respected, and where you would have reduced (or non-existent) transportation and time costs to have offline communication with other Aspies.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:58 pm

babybird wrote:
I don't think it would work for me.

+1

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Ettina wrote:
I'd like to visit such a city, but it would be a lot tougher to decide if I want to move there.

If there's a deliberate effort to exclude NTs, I'm not going to like living there, because I have NT family and friends. But if NTs are welcome but AS are the majority, it could be a really neat place.

Same here.

Dubious1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2013, 8:37 am

That would be insane. -> breakdowns, meltdowns and shutdowns abroad. What would the laws be? That which suit aspie is perfectly acceptable? Aspie Town is going way extreme!! I could keep going but it wont.

Anyone agree?

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

kapo wrote:
I say this simply because, to me, it feels like we Aspies are from a different culture. We're just different from NTs and we have a different set of values etc. All the things that different cultures have.

I'm not saying it would be some kind of haven, there'd still be problems but they would be associated with AS per se... Or rather, things that are considered "problems" in NT society would simply be "the norm" in Aspie society.

Just a fun thought I have sometimes.

they have in Silicon Valley California :D . There's also a lot of aspergoids in the dutch equivalent to silicon valley.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:48 am

Quote:
That would be insane. -> breakdowns, meltdowns and shutdowns abroad. What would the laws be? That which suit aspie is perfectly acceptable? Aspie Town is going way extreme!! I could keep going but it wont.

Explain.

I find I get less overloaded by the actions of other autistics than NTs. They're less likely to demand constant interaction, and more likely to enjoy doing quiet activities like watching a ribbon fall (as opposed to the common NT child game of running in circles and shrieking at each other).

In a crowd, the noise level tends to be regulated by the tolerance level of the crowd - overloaded people tend to leave or stop talking. So if you raise the average noise sensitivity of the crowd, they will generally get quieter.

As for laws, mostly they'd be the same as anywhere else. Laws are mostly determined by the moral values of the society, and AS people are pretty much normal in terms of moral reasoning, so I see no reason for major differences. A few things might be tweaked, such as having different requirements for fire alarms (making them less overloading but still difficult to tune out).

Stimming in public would not be considered strange. A newcomer (AS or NT) might find this distracting, but you'd get used to it fast. (I know I stop noticing stimming when I'm with autistic kids.)

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm

the city would have a military 1000 + years advanced than the neurotypicals and the elites ... the illuminati... we would destory them.... but not destroy the earth :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

so that would be a good idea