Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

I have ocd and autism,what percent of autism
folks have ocd.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

I was married to someone diagnosed with OCD and while I think Autism involves some behaviors that appear similar to OCD on the surface, in my experience, they seem to be motivated differently.

People with OCD seem to engage in repetitive or ritualistic behaviors based in some compulsive sense that something dire will happen if they don't. "Step on a crack, break your Mother's back," that sort of superstitious thinking. They seem to feel that they can "control their own luck" - that if they perform action A, then result B will occur, even if there is no obvious causal link.

People with Autism I think engage in repetitive or ritualistic sorts of behaviors because our sensory processing issues make it difficult to navigate through new and unexpected situations, so we try to keep things as familiar as possible by doing them the same way every time, which is why we tend to get so upset when we expect things to happen a certain way and someone changes the plan at the last minute.

IMHO, They may look identical to a casual observer, but they're not really the same thing.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

I have OCD but it's almost like it more vague. What I mean is that I might not do exact repetitions. It's more of a basic set of things has to happen and in a certain order or in a particular place. But it's not as rigid as a regular OCD person might be. An example of my OCD is I have to wash dishes as I go. I can't let them sit in the sink or let dirty dishes stay on the table. It took me years and years to get to where I can now leave a dish for a little while and not wash it. But normally I have to wash them right away. If I get up and find that my husband left a dirty dish, I get unsettled and I have to wash it right away. But if I have cooked and I have a few dishes to wash, I don't have a particular order in what has to be washed first.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm

Anecdotally, my psychiatrist told me that, with Autists and OCD, the OCD is just a part of the the Autism.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:48 pm

I was told by various therapists that I have a lot of obsessive-compulsive traits, and that I should seek an accurate diagnosis from an expert.
I don't think I'm ever going to seek an OCD diagnosis.
I don't think that a diagnosis will help me, and whether I actually have OCD or not, it is irrelevant to me.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

I don't think i'd call what i've got irrelevant but rather irreversible. I had a good memory once but somewhere along the way I got depressed and started having really manic thoughts and stuff, so it got me down for a considerable length of time. Now, your surrounds really do have a lot to do with stuff like how you're feeling and that because for someone who has got an asd of some kind, it can be really hard to relate to to others what you are thinking and for them to get an idea of how you're feeling and what you're saying if the thoughts you're having aren't quite clear at all for some reason.
Someone out there, needs to grasp the bigger picture so that everyone from all walks of life can be given the same opportunity to thrive and discuss some meaningful way to live and commerce ourselves out of the dark and into the light.
I've learnt a lot of things from others and the biggest self-improvement is to lose the fear we have within ourselves that resents the fact we reside ourselves in risk of losing out on a better democracy which suits all if pride in this country is its downfall. So be it. Also the fear of feeling left out from people who train those on a larger scale, having said that, I can handle myself well, just not too sure about the temperament I have at times.
Confusion is a tragedy within itself. Lose out on the details of everyday life and you risk jeopardising your life on an economic and placement typo scale.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

My psychologist said that autism is closely linked with depression, anxiety, and ocd, but that these can be independent of the autism, or linked, it really depends on the person.
certainly if you have autism, you are something like 95% likely to have anxiety and depression, and are primed for ocd behaviour.
The ocd thing seems to be linked to stress, and certainly to ptsd; which can trigger ocd symptoms.
I'd say we're all predisposed to ocd, but some of us manage to be mindful of it, and only succumb when we are especially stressed, agitated, or tired.
At least that's been my experience.
If stressed, I will still check the mailbox, even after I've collected the mail; after I've seen the postman come by, sometimes several more times that day.
The postman only ever comes once per day.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm

I'm too lazy to have OCD but I am a ritualistic person.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:00 pm

Willard wrote:
I was married to someone diagnosed with OCD and while I think Autism involves some behaviors that appear similar to OCD on the surface, in my experience, they seem to be motivated differently.

People with OCD seem to engage in repetitive or ritualistic behaviors based in some compulsive sense that something dire will happen if they don't. "Step on a crack, break your Mother's back," that sort of superstitious thinking. They seem to feel that they can "control their own luck" - that if they perform action A, then result B will occur, even if there is no obvious causal link.

People with Autism I think engage in repetitive or ritualistic sorts of behaviors because our sensory processing issues make it difficult to navigate through new and unexpected situations, so we try to keep things as familiar as possible by doing them the same way every time, which is why we tend to get so upset when we expect things to happen a certain way and someone changes the plan at the last minute.

IMHO, They may look identical to a casual observer, but they're not really the same thing.

Good breakdown of the motivations behind behaviors that can appear
identical or similar on the surface, to an outside observer.
I love routine, but I detest ritual.

People (including me, 'cause how was I to know any other reason ?) used to think I had OCD before I got the Asperger dx.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:00 am

nominalist wrote:
Anecdotally, my psychiatrist told me that, with Autists and OCD, the OCD is just a part of the the Autism.

That is what mine said too so I thought they were both the same except with OCD, all the other symptoms are absent and they just have names for all these components and if you have enough of them, it's autism. That is the way it was when I was diagnosed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

girl_incognito
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2013, 4:50 am

Before my AS diagnosis I was diagnosed with OCD. In my evaluation report it states that my AS diagnosis encompasses the symptoms that were observed and previously labeled OCD , so there is no need for a stand alone label.

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:53 am

billiscool wrote:
I have ocd and autism,what percent of autism
folks have ocd.

I have OCD and Mild Asperger's with possible mild bi polar. Aren't we OCD'ers meant to be more intelligent andcreative or something? :D

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:16 am

I think I have both but I haven't been formally diagnosed. I can't separate the two. Autism seems to make me OCDistic.

Soul_Doubt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

I definitely do things that are repetitive that I have to do.. like washing my hands MANY times a day because I don't like the feeling to be different if I get anything on them etc but I don't think I have OCD and as others have said the repetitive routines and behavior are likely more symptoms of AS.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2013, 10:15 am

I have OCD and ADHD (formally diagnosed). I think it's fairly common with high-functioning autism, based on all I have heard & read.

Charles