Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:01 pm

It seems to me that a forum like this is aimed at people with aspergers. I am one of them. Why would I, why should I join?

Why should I join a community full of those who have aspergers, when it would only serve as a crutch?

It seems to me that a place like this is only of isolation from the real world. 'Aspies' talking about things. Why not talk, as practice, with people who are normal (by definition)? If one has a bit of trouble with social situations, why would that person join a chat room only for people with such troubles, such an understanding environment, where normal social interaction is not necessarily required, and abnormal behavior excusable? After all, you might say, we have aspergers. Forgive and forget. Conversely, why would somebody with no social trouble, or very little, come to a place full of it?

Why would I want to join this? I ask this, not out of anger, or out of ill-will, but as an honest question. Why?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Jan 2007, 9:08 pm

My guess is online you can not improve your social skills very much. If your really focused on improvement that something you
need to do in real life. 99%+ of the chatting here is just fellowship
with simular people.

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:17 pm

My guess is online you can not improve your social skills very much.
My guess is that your guess is wrong, except that my guess is based on personal experience. I guess it's not so much of a guess then.

The funny thing about online conversations, is, everything that you say is set in stone. You know what you've done, nobody is going to mishear you, and you can look back on it. It's like having a tape recorder for every conversation.

Last edited by Devin_J on 28 Jan 2007, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brendan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2007, 9:17 pm

My friend, it is no-one's responsibility to "fix" you.

Join or don't join; participate or don't participate.

If you so wish, act on your plan to practise social skills with NT people.

Do what you will, what is best for you. :)

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:19 pm

My friend, it is no-one's responsibility to "fix" you.
It's not so much that I want anyone to be fixed, rather, I don't agree with any glorification of a lack of social skills, which I have seen here already.

If you so wish, act on your plan to practise social skills with NT people.
Should I know what NT means?

Do what you will, what is best for you.
I have, I do, and I will. I am curious, though.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2007, 9:22 pm

From my own experience here it's comforting to hear stories about how others cope with certain situations. People offer tips on what they do when faced with a stressful situation, and there's no way I'd ever get that info from anyone other than another Aspie.

It's also good to know that I'm not alone, even that's how it feels most of the time...

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 9:23 pm

Devin_J wrote:
It seems to me that a forum like this is aimed at people with aspergers. I am one of them. Why would I, why should I join?

Why should I join a community full of those who have aspergers, when it would only serve as a crutch?

If you are autistic, then you should, first of all, distance yourself from this "Aspergers" label, and research what autism really means. I could point you at some interesting beginings, if you mail me at [email protected], but if you can't be bothered, then don't waste my time.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 9:26 pm

You have ample time to process information online so you can say what you intend. So yes its much easier to socialize online. But that
does not translate to improved social skills in real life face to face
social communications where you do not have ample time to think of your reply and to process the other persons words. And not just
their words but their non-verbal communication to.

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:26 pm

If you are autistic, then you should, first of all, distance yourself from this "Aspergers" label, and research what autism really means. I could point you at some interesting beginings, if you mail me at [email protected], but if you can't be bothered, then don't waste my time.
I am not, and I don't see why you would mistake me for being autistic. Furthermore, implying that I have never done my research, based on this baseless claim, is actually insulting to me.

From my own experience here it's comforting to hear stories about how others cope with certain situations. People offer tips on what they do when faced with a stressful situation, and there's no way I'd ever get that info from anyone other than another Aspie.

It's also good to know that I'm not alone, even that's how it feels most of the time...

That makes sense. Thank you.

But that

It did for me. Maybe you think too much before you post.

Last edited by Devin_J on 28 Jan 2007, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 9:28 pm

I smell a troll but I'll bite. I come here for support from other aspies.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 9:31 pm

"Support" isn't necessarily a "crutch." I've only been here for two days, but I know that this forum allows aspies and others to communicate with others about our disorders, which is something only a few of us can do in the real world. We can get advice, share our experiences, and just be comforted by the fact that we are not alone. This forum allows us to enjoy what we enjoy doing, which may not always be the case elsewhere.

Actually, this topic saddens me slightly. I feel that everybody should be able to find support when they need it.

mumstheword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 9:32 pm

This forum is not only for people with Asperger's. It's for family members, friends, co-workers. Why should you join? Because you want to and for no other reason. Therefor if you don't want to...don't join. I myself do not have Asperger's...my son does. I've learned more about it in the last three days that I've been a part of this forum than I have in any Doctor's office in Toronto, any book or any article. To me this forum is a source of education. Thanks to all of you who have helped me thus far because your help will help to improve my understanding of my son and his needs...so Devin, if it's not for you that's totally acceptable but if you want to know who or what it's good for????Now you do!

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:33 pm

I smell a troll but I'll bite. I come here for support from other aspies.
I suspect your nose doesn't quite work correctly. I came here because I wanted to know the answer. Now that the question was answered, I am considering staying. I also tried to avoid the toll label as much as possible, especially in the end of the post.

Thank you as well, mumstheword.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 9:35 pm

Devin_J wrote:
But that

It did for me. Maybe you think too much before you post.

Maybe. I'm member of alot of other forum sites that cater to the
general population so I get plenty exposure to people without aspergers.

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2007, 9:38 pm

Actually, this topic saddens me slightly. I feel that everybody should be able to find support when they need it.
I never considered that people might need support. I dont see how this should make you sad, as I haven't taken away the possibility for support, and never will.
I do not equate 'support' with 'crutch' I equate 'not caring about social inability' as crutch. If you find a group that doesn't care about how you act, why should you care?

mumstheword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 9:40 pm

You're welcome Devin...hope to see more posts from you in the future!